Red Soil Removal Testing

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
Dynachem initiated some testing on the effectiveness of Red Soil removal from a white nylon carpet. Nylon was chosen since it will be tinted by the red color components. First we obtained the used carpet and Red soil:
RedSoil.jpg

The carpet was covered with red soil pictured and ground into the carpet with twisting footsteps.
Then it was left in the sun for a couple of weeks.
Now it was ready for testing. We chose 3 Presprays and 3 Spotters to test with, and applied them to bands in the carpet. They were brushed in for uniformity.
RedSoil1.jpg

The products were allowed 20 minutes to work, and then rinsed thoroughly
with only hot water.
RedSoil3.jpg

Of the 3 Presprays, CitraGreen liquid showed the best results. Powders: PowerMax was 2nd, & Detergent Free Powder 3rd.
With the Spotting agents, ReduceAll was the lightest, Rust Remover was 2nd, and Odor Attack was 3rd.

The testing showed that Oxidizers were not effective (Odor Attack; Detergent Free Powder).
Prespray without oxidizer performed the best (CitraGreen w/new tech surfactant).
Reducing Spotters also performed very well (ReduceAll & Rust Remover)

Who has Red Soil to deal with ??

Last edited:

DAT

Name
Bill Cheryl
Thats good info. I have a client that has serious red pigmentation from rock crushing. They deal with red sedimentary core samples a lot. Which result the crew tracking it in from the lab. Thelast CC couldnt get the red hue out of olefin carpet. Do you just add reduce all into saiger sauce/any prespray for heavy dirt or separate?

Old Coastie

Supportive Member
Name
Stephen
North Alabama is solid red soil.
Larry, what is it about Citra Green that makes it more effective in loosening the soil?

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
Stephen;

More testing to determine why that product performed better.

I would say that CitraGreen has better soil suspension ability,

in addition to a hi-tech new surfactant system.

ReduceAll requires a pH above 9,
and the absence of any oxidizer which would reduce it's effectiveness.

http://www.cobbcarpet.com/zen/index...d=5344&zenid=8dedab56d3a11f8de7b3eb39835cf4d7

Anybody else have Red Soil to deal with ??

Last edited:

DAT

Name
Bill Cheryl

Jim Williams

Name
Jim Williams
We have sticky red clay here in N.C. that bricks are made of. I run into a bad one occasionally where dogs have been out in the yard and tracked it in. I have to say, your Powermax does great on it. I haven't tried the Stain Resist Powder, but I'll try it next chance I get.

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
Jim;

Based on the testing, the CitraGreen liquid did better than PowerMax on the Red Soil.

So it is the prespray I would go to, for Red Soiling.

Stainresist Powder should fall in between CitraGreen & PowerMax.

-----

The ReduceAll would be a booster for a prespray without an oxidizer & with pH above 9.

Last edited:

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
I am willing to bet that this will be a big hit in states like Oklahoma..and Texas where that red soil is everywhere....

Reactions: amygeorge

Tom Forsythe

If I remember the original post correctly, the discussion directed attention to surfactancy being the key raw over alkalinity and solvency in removing the red clay. Since that original post, I had a customer who used a rust remover to remove the balance of the red discoloration in a library in Texas. It looks like Larry's test confirmed the need for surfactancy and that a rust remover or reducing agent could remove any remaining red clay residues. One benefit of having many products is to use them to teach a scientific principle without having degrading a competitive product. Good test, Larry!!

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
Tom;

I would not recommend a Rust Remover in general.

I have seen too many color changes in carpet dyes,

to suggest Rust Remover usage for widespread soil conditions.

I tested it because I thought it would work on this particular staining.

Tom Forsythe

It probably does depend on the pH of your rust remover and should be something to only try in stubborn red clay soil residues. Our primary rust remover is about a pH of 4.5. Everything should be pre-tested for suitability including a reducing agent which has also been known to cause color changes in carpet. We recommend thoroughly rinsing out any rust remover after the reaction has been accomplished.

Generally spot removers work on the principle of suspension and emulsification or on the principle of molecular modification. In this situation the surfactants in the pre-spray suspend and emulsify the red clay soils. Discolorations not removed are then subject to molecular modification which is the appropriate tasks for reducing agents, rust removers and oxidizers. Surfactants are usually added to some degree to products who perform the task of molecular modification but you do not modify the molecule through agitation.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom