Repetitive motion(carpet cleaning) is a body killer! What issues has CC given you?

jcooper

Name
Jerry Cooper
Repetitive motion(carpet cleaning) is a body killer! What issues has CC given you?

During the polar vortex(winter) I fell outside, while checking the fooking heaters in the van. From that point on I've had what's called tennis elbow or lateral epicondylitis.

Dont kid yourself, just cuz it's called tennis elbow doesn't mean it is a painless injury! Hurts all the time, 3
ibuprofen just to go to work the last two weeks. Now I'm using the other arm more and it's starting to get me issues...

Anyone under 42/43 take care of yourself, seems like everything(aches/pains/ tendon issues) hit all at once. For me 42.

So, anyone else have elbow issues? What happened? Treatments? Advice(other than get a helper!) your doc gave you?

What other type of
Repetitive motion injuries are coming my way?

Sorry about the font...

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Wrists, elbows, knees, issues with feet, potential (mostly guaranteed) arthritis.
Short attention span, mostly due to the habit of getting things done quickly and on to the next job.
What else would you like to know?

Reactions: Shorty and SamIam
Name
Marcus
jerry

Yea I have had the same problems over the past few years....another friend of mine does also...
I have had a pinched nerve in my neck from repetitive wand motion..also happens to painters...

I went to a chiropractor for the past 6 months..after a lot of treatments and prayer it is finally starting to clear up
I couldn't write very well for 2 years because of the pain in my right arm....
Chiro. Said this is quite common with this type of work....

Only way to solve it permanently and stay in carpet cleaning is to get a differnet motion...
I tried a TI wand w glide and w wheels...helped a little..but still had pain...same motion

Gotta go to the rx 20 or the zipper wand.....
I decided to go with the zipper...I believe it will solve my problem..different motion..

Thanks
The captain

J

JS41035

Great thread! I think it's awesome to discuss how this biz affects your body. I have some shoulder pain. And lower back is stiff. I started some gym stuff with my wife (CrossFit ) and it has improved a ton. I think wanding on one side is brutal on your body. The zipper seems like it would help a ton. But exercise and diet go a long way toward helping even out your body.
Dad never seems to have those problems and he works 24/7
That's 24 hours a week. 7 months of the year.

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
I come home some days and my hair hurts....

I am probably looking at a neck ****** in the next year or so...not all is carpet cleaning related..but the job is not helping it any..........

hogjowl

Idiot™
Repetitive motion(carpet cleaning) is a body killer! What issues has CC given...

You'll just have to turn at the hip to see why the hose won't follow you, instead of at the neck.

No big deal.

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
Its a big problem. A had a lot of wrist arm and trigger fingers from wanding. I made several modifications to my wand to cure it. One thing that many can do is to raise the wand handle so you can stand up straight. The constant bending while cleaning is part of the problem.

Reactions: SamIam

jcooper

Name
Jerry Cooper
got to get the neck fused

Gulp...:eekk:

Well, if someone is willing to have surgery on the neck, it must be unbearable.

Muscles, back, etc. all suck. But this tendon stuff is different. It hurts all the time, a month ago couldn't pick up the cell phone(with out pain). After this winter and PLENTY of time off, I should have been 110% and ready to go. You know doctors all say to stop doing what your doing and rest...:hopeless: Yea, okay... I just did that!

Never had this before and it seems like they all go at the same time!!!

boazcan

Name
Bryan C
I come home some days and my hair hurts....

I am probably looking at a neck ****** in the next year or so...not all is carpet cleaning related..but the job is not helping it any..........

Jim

My wife just had this done. They removed L4 and put in a titanium insert. Took nine marrow from her hip and put inside the insert so the bone will grow with the bone.

She is down for 6 weeks. And then 4 weeks rehab. No heavy lifting. But she had instant relief after the surgery.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

Zee

Supportive Member
Name
Assuming you were trying to say f u s i o n. That may be a banned word from the infamous product that was discussed a while back.

Reactions: Mikey P

SamIam

Name
sam miller
I'm 50 been working 6 days a week forever the last 15 swinging a wand full time.

Recently started getting Saturdays off. but my hands are always sore, had a helper the last 3 years and now I cant work alone!

Just gotta get off the truck sometime.

I did drop 30 pounds 210 to 175-180 thats helped a lot, I walk 3 miles in the morning before work do a 100 counter push ups, 60 leg lifts so I'm in the best shape in 20 years.

Still I would like to be able to move during retirement and not be crippled with injuries.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Reactions: Desk Jockey

SamIam

Name
sam miller
Its a big problem. A had a lot of wrist arm and trigger fingers from wanding. I made several modifications to my wand to cure it. One thing that many can do is to raise the wand handle so you can stand up straight. The constant bending while cleaning is part of the problem.

I love my handle up high use your legs not your back.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
FORGOT TO ADD...Sam made me think of it

stretching all the work muscles, tendons and joints before the job (and in particular the first job) will go a LONG way in helping your bod

oh yea..

Learn to work ambidextrous too
run upl tool left and right handed ...lots of upl in week was/is SURE tendonitis for me

wand equally left and right handed as well

..L.T.A.

Last edited:

mwall2230

Name
Mike Wallace
Been cleaning full time for 19 years. I'm left handed and my left arm and elbow ache. Since I started using the Zipper Wand with the ORIGINAL handle my arm is feeling much better.

GeneMiller

Name
gene miller
Not sure how much of my pain is actually from carpet cleaning but I used to mountain bike race. Plenty of damage from that. I take mobic every day. It works very well for me. I also hired a helper 5 years ago. Between Mobic and the helper my tendinitis is gone. I've had dozens of epidurals and cortisone shots. Little miracles

gene

Russ T.

Supportive Member
Name
Russ Terhaar
I've been pretty fortunate. Cleaning carpet for @ 15 years, mostly alone. I'm almost 3& and can put in some long days without too much trouble. I have had "trigger finger" for many years. I'm useless cleaning left handed so I never do it. I know I should force myself but I'm always in such a hurry and want to do a good job too.

I see a chiropractor monthly.

Always been a big believer in quality shoes.

I call myself "the Kid" because I really do feel like a kid. I love what I do and feel fortunate to still be able bodied to do it. That is despite a major leg break a couple years ago (tib/fib) from a low speed motorcycle fall.

pe7upeqe.jpg

Oh, and I've got at least 20 pounds to lose after sitting around all Winter.

But blessed.

The Clean Machine

Name
Marcus
Gulp...:eekk:

Well, if someone is willing to have surgery on the neck, it must be unbearable.

Muscles, back, etc. all suck. But this tendon stuff is different. It hurts all the time, a month ago couldn't pick up the cell phone(with out pain). After this winter and PLENTY of time off, I should have been 110% and ready to go. You know doctors all say to stop doing what your doing and rest...:hopeless: Yea, okay... I just did that!

Never had this before and it seems like they all go at the same time!!!

You might research past forums on the zipper...
It is made to specifically do away with arm and joint pain...
I have just had mine a week. So I'll hafta report in a few weeks..
But some of theses guys have had a zipper for 6 mo...year...

The captain

Reactions: JS41035
Name
Marcus
Not sure how much of my pain is actually from carpet cleaning but I used to mountain bike race. Plenty of damage from that. I take mobic every day. It works very well for me. I also hired a helper 5 years ago. Between Mobic and the helper my tendinitis is gone. I've had dozens of epidurals and cortisone shots. Little miracles

gene

Gene do you have the 15" or the 13" zipper

and which do you prefer on residential vs. commercial

the captain

Bob Savage

Name
Bob Savage
As mentioned, switch back and forth between left and right when wanding.

Change wand grip and use more than one finger to pull the trigger, as in use 3-4 fingers to depress the trigger - soft touch wand valve.

Get a hot tub and use it every morning to start the day.

Have a helper on the big days, and learn to dual wand to psychologically make evrey job half the size it really is.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Cleaning upholstery has done more damage to me that carpet cleaning every did and yet I cleaned carpet for decades.

Arthritis in my hands, from pump and trigger sprayers, elbow from the constant tugging of hose and solution line, plus heavier upholstery tools.

Never had back problems or but I'm not as tall (5 11) as some of you guys so maybe that's got something to do with it. ???

Russ T.

Supportive Member
Name
Russ Terhaar
Stairs can beat a guy up too. I use a pretty short handled tool. I'm going to get a long handled stair tool soon. I need to be able to stand up straight.

The Clean Machine

curt johnson

Name
Curt Johnson
This is actually an important thread. I am always amazed at different conventions and festivals when I see other cleaners. Some look to be about 100 pounds over weight.....and some chain smoke like there's no tomorrow. This is a physical job and there are physical demands. If you approach the job that way you'll have a much better chance of physical survival. Eating crap all day, drinking soda w/ sugar in it, smoking, these things don't help!!!! Now I'm not perfect, BUT since I've been in better shape the job is much easier.

Reactions: Russ T.
Name
jack zerkie
The only thing that hurts me is my brain from lack of use,I started in 1981 and love to clean dirty white carpets.No employees just jack on the carpet.I just hit 72 yrs and feel great most days I cleaned 100 small chairs last week and my back felt sore for that reason.My wife helps me withe the larger jobs, she is younger just 71 but doesn,t want to work to much.I,m thinking just a few more years then I don,t know what I,ll do. I live on water direct to the Gulf of Mexico, but Iv,e never owned a boat. I v, never played golf either, but I love carpet cleaning. My only other fun thing is playing the drums played all my life. jz.

Back
Top Bottom