"Retro Vans" whats your choice?

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
My 94 gets 10-13mpg depending on how much I use my Legend. Thats with the 4.9l which is on it's way to running forever.

My '92 had a 4.9. ( 300 straight six)
Bullet proof engine, but mileage was no better than the 302 and 351 V-8 engines .
They were 14 mpg hi-way tops ....down hill ...with a tailwind ....

the 5.4 ltr Triton is a whole 'nother animal .
MUCH better mileage

It's warts are coil packs and popping plugs out of the head.
the popping plugs has long since been squared away though ..since '06 or better ??

..L.T.A.

dealtimeman

Everyday is Saturday.
Name
Michael
I have a Ford E-250 with a straight 6 -300 CID motor approaching 250,000 miles, and have owned 3 other Ford vans and 2 Chevy vans.

The E-250 gets my vote.

Our hard surface van is a 96 with an inline 6 ad just won't die!

It has close to 400000 miles and just keeps going.

ThaBeast

Name
Dave
Chevy rides and drives better, feels like it has more legroom. ford does everything else better, but perhaps I've just had three Monday morning chevys

shadygrady

Name
Rob Grady
I just bought a 2001 Chev 2500 with the 8 bolt rims. 34,000 kms. I have been buying-up used Aqua-Tech CDS units to install. The last one that I purchased out of B.C. has like new 11o gal. vacuum tank. I credit that to the grease covered inside walls. Guessing that unit spent some time cleaning restaurants. The powder-coated insides are in new condition. The dash panels are also pristine. You would be hard pressed to tell this from a new one.
This unit came with the Roots 47 . I have a good inventory of Aqua-Tech components to build with.

SamIam

Name
sam miller
I had a 2002 Chevy lots of little problems then engine problems at about 120k got 8 years out it so maybe that's normal. My 2010 Chevy 3/4 ton has a 6.0 liter engine and avg about 12.1 mpg on the computer.

My 2011 has a v8 to but it's smaller 4.7 or smoething like that

I'm sure stripped down no weight in both vans the smaller engine would get better gas milage.

But really it's on slightly better 12.3 or so not really much difference except on hills the 6 liter engine has plenty of pop.

I wouldn't have recommend Chevy but my last 2 have been way more solid then the first. So they're doing something right.

Zee

Supportive Member
Name
Well...Maybe all this van talk will get heated if and when the rumoured Fiat/Chrysler -GM merger might take place.

That could be incredible for the cargo van market. You will see lower priced Ford Transits immediately as they will have to compete against a possible Ducato/Promaster/Chevy express fusion.

Zee

Supportive Member
Name
That's what you'd think normally would happen, Lee...but that merger wouldn't give them monopoly where they could raise prices freely.
They'd still have to compete with big players like Mercedes, Nissan, and of course, Ford. I think it could actually force prices down a little on Ford's side to really try to establish a larger market share with the up and coming Transit and all of it's variants.

Zee

Supportive Member
Name
Oh and let's not overlook the possible full size Hyundai cargo vans -that are very similar to the Sprinters in construction- that may be entering the market with presumably good quality and very reasonable prices.

Spurlington

Name
Spurlino
I had a 91 Ford E150 with a 300 6cyl .. it was a workhorse !! The floor gave out before the engine did !! It had super power with super acceleration !!

Had a few Chevys. Had a 2005 with barn doors that kinda got so tight the hinge broke off with in a 4 yr period. That sucked !! Expensive to fix !! Didnt have my 2004 long enough and my 2003 was amazing. Minimal issues - excellent pick up and go !! All 3 were 6.0 engines.

Just bought a 2014 Nissan NV. I hate it !! Other than the fact that it attracts alot of attention, I dont like much about it. Its the 5.6 and dosent feel powerful enough for my agressive driving behavior. The hood is so long I cant see to good. I put a light dent in the bumper due to misjudgement. Which was due to my poison ivy relief drug the Dr said would have no effect on my driving skills. Liar !! Ive scraped the tailpipe backing into a steep driveway from a sloped road. (v shape) The side door has a deep cavity which holds alot of melted snow that freezes before I can shut the door after the job. If you get stuck in snow or mud the engine wont let you spin the tires. It somehow goes into neutral. Where my chevy Id spin them till I wiggled my way out of a rut.

And now, the van is a year old and I have to have the electrical harness that feeds the dome lights all the way back replaced under warranty. WTH !! And they have asked me to move out everything not attached to give them room to work. Which I understand but again, WTH !! I bought a new van to give me peace of mind for a few years !! And they want the van for the whole day !!

Reactions: Desk Jockey

dwellpro

Supportive Member
Name
m
image.jpg
image.jpg

I like the Ford Transit Connect. With a cargo divider the DP1 takes up 12" X 18" when in 2 wheel mode.
I wish it was available in AWD (currently only in Europe) my other vans are GMC Savana AWD

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    160.9 KB · Views: 132

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
When I use to have 3 chevy astro vans for work vehicles I actually would buy 6 back door handle assemblies at a time just so I would have the part on hand and could fix the door quickly when they broke. I got pretty good at replacing them.
Come visit your daughter an drive up and fix all my vans.

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
i jus missed getting dr kevorkians van.........
my buddy Dale had it the whole time the DR was in prison

i think i mentioned it here before....nasty beyond belief!

i coulda had it for $600 plus DrK's drivers licence

Les Gold from Hardcore Pawn got it!
American Jewelry and Loan

J

JS41035

The absolute best traditional cargo van ever made was the Ford E350 with the 7.3 turbo diesel. I would set the cruise at 80 and average 19mpg on the highway. The power made the van feel nimble. I was never in love with the 6.0. But I'm confident ford worked the bugs out. It really is not worth the initial price to purchase a Diesel engine in a cargo van. But if you can find one at a reasonable price go for it. Just remember to add the cost of a fuel cell to your budget.
It is a bit of a hassle having two fuels. But I would take that trade any day.

Reactions: Mikey P

Willy P

Name
Willy P
Chevy has a better ride
Uses micky mouse tin-LARRYhardware (door, hood lathes, etc)

Ford Triton engine gets better gas mileage (I get 18 mpg loaded @ 70MPH hiway)
tires need rotated religiously

both good trucks
Ford is a better truck over all
yes a van is a truck you meatballs

..L.T.A

Don't blame Willy for that shit.

Back
Top Bottom