Rotovac CFX info....

Kellie Hiler

Name
Kellie Hiler
I'm looking for a portable that is lightweight and easy to maneuver and the CFX looks like it would be just right. But it looks like in order for it to be truly functional for my needs I would need to also get the docking station because in some high rise commercial settings the janitors closet may be too far away. Plus, I cannot imagine that household water pressure would be sufficient to clean carpet with, is this correct?
Also, to run it at high flow as it states, does it really have the power to extract the majority of water leaving good dry times? With the Quad head which is what I have for my 360i?
I'm thinking of at least getting the 3 stage vac to start with for small spot cleaning jobs or if I'm just going to do UPH, then eventually adding the docking station for the pressure and 27 gallon tank.
What are your thoughts on it?

Art Kelley

Supportive Member
Name
Rainbow Carpet And Upholstery Cleaning
Kellie, the dual 3 stage CFX works perfect with the 360i; they were designed to work together. I use mine interchangeably with my Pro1200 throughout the day, some jobs the TM, some jobs the porty. This is what the business side of the 360i looks like hooked to custy faucet with a standard 100' Parflex TM hose:
image.jpeg
I bucket tested this and a 5 gal pail was filled in about 6 minutes, which is plenty of flow.
image.jpeg

Try it yourself; just hook your 360i to a faucet and run the vacuum from your TM and see if this is going to work for you. The CFX produces 230 CFM vacuum, as good as any dual 3 stage produces, at 40 pounds.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kellie Hiler

Kellie Hiler

Name
Kellie Hiler
Kellie, the dual 3 stage CFX works perfect with the 360i; they were designed to work together. I use mine interchangeably with my Pro1200 throughout the day, some jobs the TM, some jobs the porty. This is what the business side of the 360i looks like hooked to custy faucet with a standard 100' Parflex TM hose:
View attachment 10626 I bucket tested this and a 5 gal pail was filled in about 6 minutes, which is plenty of flow.
View attachment 10627
Try it yourself; just hook your 360i to a faucet and run the vacuum from your TM and see if this is going to work for you. The CFX produces 230 CFM vacuum, as good as any dual 3 stage produces, at 40 pounds.
So I wouldn't absolutely need the dock thing right away then? I like it a lot, and I need a light one. Cool, thank you! And Hapoy New Year!

Reactions: Art Kelley

Kellie Hiler

Name
Kellie Hiler
I like it a lot....I have to wait till spring but I'm getting that bad boy! It's perfect for my situation.

J

JS41035

I use Search temptest ( a website to search multiple CL locations). For some reason Nashville had a lot of the CFX combos.

Kellie Hiler

Name
Kellie Hiler
Oh......good idea, but for some reason I'm always leery about buying of there. If the purchase is messed up or breaks right after you buy it, you're pretty much screwed. I'd almost rather wait and buy it new....

Reactions: Mikey P

Shorty

RIP
Name
Shorty Glanville
Make sure you get the right CFX.

cfx-15comparison_zps3zuksudv.jpg

I would dearly love the newer CFX 15, even though it is going to be much higher on my old 27 gallon docking station, which I rarely need to use.

:yoda:

rjwood

Faux Fosythe
Name
Me
I prefer the 5 gallon CFX. Put 10 gallons of water in a 15 and then try dumping it. Look at where the dump valve is located, it has to be lifted in order to dump and I doubt anyone would want to be in that position at a customer's even second floor apartment where there's no elevator. Even rolling the 15 around with water in it is not an easy task due to how low the body profile is to the floor.

In either case you're going to need to use the auto pump out which negates the need for the 15 gallon capacity. The 5 gallon unit is much more manageable and easier to carry around.

rjwood

Faux Fosythe
Name
Me
Kellie, if you're interested in the 5 gal I recently won at auction, let me know. You're welcome to it for what I paid ($1210.00) plus whatever shipping from me to you. You can pay me monthly if that helps. I've only used the drain hose so far.

ETA: Or you're welcome to my used 15 gal for less under the same terms.

ETA: I also have the older docking station (0 - 250 psi) if you're interested in that as well - again, same terms.

Last edited:

Kellie Hiler

Name
Kellie Hiler
Kellie, if you're interested in the 5 gal I recently won at auction, let me know. You're welcome to it for what I paid ($1210.00) plus whatever shipping from me to you. You can pay me monthly if that helps. I've only used the drain hose so far.

ETA: Or you're welcome to my used 15 gal for less under the same terms.

ETA: I also have the older docking station (0 - 250 psi) if you're interested in that as well - again, same terms.
Can the 5 gallon one be used with the RV 360i? What is the vacuum on it?

rjwood

Faux Fosythe
Name
Me
Dual 3-stage vac motors - same as the 15 gal. That's what I won - I assume that's what they sent me. I haven't taken it apart to check. I've never had an issue regarding honesty with Rotovac before though.

Yes to the 360i question.

Kellie Hiler

Name
Kellie Hiler
Wow...ok, let me talk to my husband and get back yo you on it tomorrow? That sounds like a great deal, especially if you are willing to take payments. That would help me so much more than you could imagine.
Thank you! Have a good night....:)

Art Kelley

Supportive Member
Name
Kellie, (nice name), don't get the 5 gallon CFX, you want the 15 gallon one. I have both, and used the 5 gallon for a year, and while it worked excellent it tends to spit out waste water every now and then. That's not such a problem if you set it up outside like I do (although it does wreak havoc on the vac motors and shortens their lives) you end up with shit sprayed on walls and the floor if indoors. I always have the auto pump out on so there is never any big deal about dumping 15 gallons like Bob mentioned. The dump valve is on the bottom so I don't know how you even could dump the full 15 gallon tank out indoors if you wanted to unless you could deadlift 165 pounds to pour into a toilet.

rjwood

Faux Fosythe
Name
Me
My 15 gallon machine sometimes spits the water out too. Rotovac and I have discussed the issue at length a few times. I was told the issue was gong to be addressed because it's a known problem, but as of last conversation about it a few months back, nothing has been done. I and other users have sent Rotovac ideas and photos of things we've tried to mitigate the problem.

All portables do spit, especially when there's any kind of foam buildup. I just want you to be fully aware of the possible problems you could be faced with.

The CFX is a terrific little unit in spite of this spitting issue.

Unfortunately, sometimes the auto pump out fails, and if that happens with the 15 gallon you've got no choice except to figure out a way to lift the beast and empty it. The 5 gal unit doesn't have a dump valve but it's easier to lift in order to empty it if the pump fails. The pumps do and will fail.

Art Kelley

Supportive Member
Name
Bob, my 15 gallon CFX only spit water out once and that was because the waste bag bar had fallen off the vac intake hole (because my CFX fell out of my van when the back doors opened while driving:hopeless:). You have to make sure that bar is set in properly, i.e. , the holes on the bar where the waste water falls into the tank are side to side not up and down.

Art Kelley

Supportive Member
Name
And as for the pumpout failing, it is essential you put on an inline filter like the Devestator so no debris is ever allowed into the tank. My pumpout always works because it's always clean inside the machine. I don't even open the machine up for weeks at a time to look.

Reactions: Shorty and rjwood

rjwood

Faux Fosythe
Name
Me
Bob, my 15 gallon CFX only spit water out once and that was because the waste bag bar had fallen off the vac intake hole (because my CFX fell out of my van when the back doors opened while driving:hopeless:). You have to make sure that bar is set in properly, i.e. , the holes on the bar where the waste water falls into the tank are side to side not up and down.
Yes, I do make sure of that. Adam at Rotovac was convinced at one point that it was do to the bag blowing up as a result of soaking. I don't know if Adam still thinks that - he recommended putting a rubber band around the bag, but that didn't help either. I and others tried making different shields to go between the pipe and the vac motors, but no love.

This is, according to Adam, relatively restricted to the 3 stage unit. The vac motors are simply too close to the vac inlet for the suction of the three stage. I was hoping that when they came out with the 15 gallon model they would lower the vac inlet but for some odd reason they didn't. Perhaps it is an expensive retool.

Shorty

RIP
Name
Shorty Glanville
Unfortunately, sometimes the auto pump out fails, and if that happens with the 15 gallon you've got no choice except to figure out a way to lift the beast and empty it. The 5 gal unit doesn't have a dump valve but it's easier to lift in order to empty it if the pump fails. The pumps do and will fail.

Whilst I don't have the 15 gallon CFX, I see that it does have a waste outlet down low as some have commented on.

Rather than try & lift it, why not simply hook up a vac; hose and drain it to an outside point??

Down under, in some states, it's still legal to empty the water to the lawn or garden bed as long as it does not go into any drain that goes to a creek, etc;

Other option would be to place a machine similar to a Flood Hog?? before the CFX.

I use an Aussie made Gulpa, basically a heavy duty submersible pump enclosed in a perspex box, which pumps out on auto.

Coral%20Motors%20008_zpsjn63mdzm.jpg

Just a thought.

:yoda:

Last edited by a moderator:

shadygrady

Name
Rob Grady
Make sure your discharge line fittings are absolutely tight or the pump-out won't function properly. I had the same issues as mentioned above until i installed a 45 elbow right at the machine and torqued it tight. I threw the supplied drain hose out and bought the HoseX. Much easier to wrap and carry and you dont see the gross discoloring of the clear plastic drain-hose. I also drilled and installed a cheapo 1/4" ball valve at the bottom front of the waste tank to better drain the unit.
I found that if there is any air leakage in the drain system, the pump cannot do it's job. You can do a search of my other comments on the CFX in other like-topic threads.

SamIam

Name
sam miller
My 15 gallon machine sometimes spits the water out too. Rotovac and I have discussed the issue at length a few times. I was told the issue was gong to be addressed because it's a known problem, but as of last conversation about it a few months back, nothing has been done. I and other users have sent Rotovac ideas and photos of things we've tried to mitigate the problem.

All portables do spit, especially when there's any kind of foam buildup. I just want you to be fully aware of the possible problems you could be faced with.

The CFX is a terrific little unit in spite of this spitting issue.

question wont a 5 gal. bucket fit under it to drain?

rjwood

Faux Fosythe
Name
Me
question wont a 5 gal. bucket fit under it to drain?
Not unless the CFX is on the docking station. See post #12 and note where the dump valve is located. The 15 gallon model is the larger one that the person's left hand is on (unless, of course, it's a mirror image which would mean that it's actually the person's right hand on the unit).

SamIam

Name
sam miller
I see it way down at the bottom I was looking at the vac inlet at first. Ya that's almost impossible with out a pump out.

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
Kellie, before you make a decision, sit down and think about where you are intending to use it. The cfx without the docking station must be hooked up to a faucet somewhere and the pumpout must be drained to a sink or toilet. Many homes today have fawcets that you cannot take off the aerator and put on a adapter. It is not the right machine for highrises unless you have water hookups on every floor. It is a great machine when using the 360 but if you have to hook up a wand or edging tool, you only have tap pressure which is usually 50-80psi. If you are not planning to do large jobs with it, you may want to look at a 10 gallon portable instead. 10 gal will clean most 1-bedroom apts. with 1-2 fills.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom