Rubber ring

GeneMiller

Name
gene miller
Set my sprayer down and the rubber left a ring. It has happened before but you just wipe it up. This time it was on marble. Not the first time on marble either but this time the ring would not just wipe off. It definitely seemed to penetrate and almost etch it. When I was done removing it I could still see the faint ring left behind. The marble was a polished Arabescato Carrara. For those who are thinking there was an acid on the bottom of the sprayer there wasn't. The only thing in that sprayer ever has been flex boosted with peroxide. Also I don't clean with acids. I have a similar ring on my granite counter top from when they used rubber suction cups to pull it together. They never could remove it. Does rubber react with certain stones ?

Gene

GeneMiller

Name
gene miller
Maybe. I've never seen that. What's the trick to remove it so you can't see a ring anymore.

Gene

Name
cameron demille
how much of a concentration of peroxide? Hydrogen Peroxide can etch, as well as alkalines in the 13-14 pH range.

The problem usually isn't the ring or chemical by itself, it's when you have a relatively safe chemical being pressed into the stone by something (the ring in this case). Depending on how long it's down there, it can have a reaction, where as otherwise, the chemical sitting there by itself with nothing on top of it wouldn't hurt it.

I have experienced this myself several times, with known good chemicals. The weirdest one I ever experienced was on a limestone floor. I had a door swung open and was clean inside a room, then working my way out. I never touched the door because it wasn't in my way. The bottom of the door was about 1/4" from the floor. an hour or two later I was cleaning up. When I went to close the door, there was an etch/stain EXACTLY in the shape of the bottom of the door. Because the area directly above the stone was blocked and it couldn't evaporate straight up, it basically held it down into the stone. Now we swing doors in and out a few times as we pass them to get some air moving.

Your case sounds like one of those once in a while wacky things that happens.

Reactions: Mikey P

GeneMiller

Name
gene miller
Won't happen again. Will set it down on the walk off matt. Mike we routinely use a 12% peroxide solution on natural stone. Really makes them pop.

Gene

GeneMiller

Name
gene miller
I mostly clean saturnia with the holes. I rarely clean polished stones but when I do I use a neutral stone cleaner. Saturnia is by far the most common stone here. I have never dulled a stone floor. Left a ring you can only see at the right angle but never dulled one.

Gene

Back
Top Bottom