rug cleaning

lust1kiddo

Supportive Member
Ok guys i need your help..I have a client that has those flokati rugs and they are always a pain for me to clean, i kinda just fugazzi my way through them. She also claims to have an indian cotton rug for me to clean. She also has a regular wool rug that I know how to clean...its the others that will give me a problem. I have never cleaned a cotton rug..any difference than wool? and the flukati? I suck at super cleaning them. please help.

Thanks,

Jarred

Ken Snow

RIP
Name
Ken Snow
I would sub the cotton and flokati out to a rug cleaning firm if one is near you. Or you could take it to a commercial laundry, wash it in the largest cascade washer then fluff dry it for 20 minutes on a large dryer and take home and lay fllat to finish drying.

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
Good advice on the Flokatis, but I'd just refuse to clean the cotton rug unless it's a white or pastel reversible. Cotton doesn't hold color well and if the rug has a backing it is very likely to turn permanently yellow if it hasn't already. They're just too troublesome to be worth your time. Maybe you can REFER it to someone else, because if you sub it you're still responsible for whatever the other company does to it.

LisaWagnerCRS

Name
Lisa Wagner
It might be mercerized cotton (fake silk) - if so, it could wash up just fine.

Gotta give pictures on that one! With the Flokatis - here's a shot of an identical pair, with the left one tossed in the washer with detergent, hot water, and in the dryer.

Flokatis1.jpg

So... be sure to follow Ken's instructions so you don't mess it up like this woman did.

Lisa

kevenlee696

Hi frnd, there is a huge difference in the woolen rug and cotton rug both are very different and both should be take care differently. For a woolen rug cleaning you can use hot water and soda methods where a cotton rug is need some more method.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Measure the Flokati before you clean it, so you know what size it should be after cleaning. After we wash and fluff you can stretch it out some prior to hanging if you need to.

lust1kiddo

Supportive Member
honestly...what i am thinking of doing is just letting her know that I dont do flokati's. For two rugs that are 3X5 each..totally not worth the risk. I would have to charge her 7.00/ft instead of the normal 2.00. and even then, i'm not comfy. The others I can just clean, there is a regular wool and the cotton one. I can just go collect my loot and go home no worries. That pic of the screwed up one kinda scared me straight..haha. Thanks Guys !!

Iseeru

LisaWagnerCRS

Name
Lisa Wagner
I didn't mean to scare you - it was just a GREAT example of a homeowner doing the wrong thing in this case... using detergent (not textile shampoo) that was too alkaline (yellowed it), using hot water and hot drier (shrunk it).

Had another client do the same to a Navajo... bled the puppy horribly. So we stripped half of it and used it for years at trade shows to show what we could do on that... I have to find those photos.

If you cold wash flokatis, using the right shampoo, and I like pure acid rinses (no surfactants added) to remove residue, then extract and air dry. I like using tumblers when you can, because it helps fluff them up. Otherwise we turn these guys upside down and shake the heck out of them to do that after they are dry and use a rake to untangle them.

We charge $5 a sq ft for these because of the grooming time... same price we charge for silks because of their grooming time also.

Lisa

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
Not to scare anyone, just a warning of what you're getting into:

Indiancottontufted.jpg

This is what happens to thin Indian tufted rugs when they get wet. This rug was in a bathroom for several months while it slowly discolored. We cleaned it, got it sparkling and returned it, and four weeks later it looked like this again. since then we've worked on dozens of these that have been used everywhere from hallways to baby's rooms with similar problems and cleaning results, and the bottom line is that there is no fix that will permanently stop this discoloration from reappearing. It's from the adhesive, made worse by the propensity of cotton to wick, plus the short face fiber.

We paid to replace one before we realized the condition was endemic.

The designers that put their names on these have either dropped them or gone out of business, with the notable exception of Martha Stewart.

sweendogg

Name
David Sweeney
kevenlee696 said:
Hi frnd, there is a huge difference in the woolen rug and cotton rug both are very different and both should be take care differently. For a woolen rug cleaning you can use hot water and soda methods where a cotton rug is need some more method.

This Guys a Dumbass! I'm sorry I tried to refrain.. but seriously??? :twisted:

J Scott W

Name
Jeffrey Scott Warrington
Here is an article on wrote on this topic 6 or 7 years ago. I think all the information is still current.

Cleaning Flokati Rugs

Flokati rugs have been around a long time but are not a style most of us see every day. Recently they have seen their popularity rise. This shaggy rug, with long fibers, has found a market niche as baby boomers look back nostalgically at the shag carpets of the 1960s and 1970s. Originating in Greece, manufacture of these products, trendy or not, is said to date back some 1,500 years. Flokatis can be made from the finest wool sewn into a wool backing to lamb skin or sheep skin with the wool still attached to much less expensive synthetics and/or synthetic backings.

For sheep skin with the hair attached – The fleece can be brush with a long comb and/or vacuumed with suction only (no beater bar or revolving brush). Follow this by cleaning like delicate upholstery. I suggest Fabric Shampoo whipped into a foam and brushed in with a horse hair brush. This can be extracted with water only or with Fab-Set in the rinse water. Avoid getting the skin itself any wetter than absolute necessary. The skin likely has not been tanned with a system that is made to withstand moisture. This limits the cleaning options and results.

The long fibers of Flokati rugs limit the cleaning options. At the same time as they seem to cry for frequent cleaning. They do respond well to the proper cleaning process. Here are my cleaning recommendations.

Advise the consumer to rotate the rug to even out the wear. This is good advice for nay area rug.

Begin by removing as much dry soil as possible. Most vacuums use a rotating brush which is not suitable for Flokatis! You may pick-up each corner of the rug and shake it vigorously. You can hang the rug and beat it in the old fashioned way, or use a compressed air jet to blow loose soil out of the rug. Try directing the air from the back. The soil will go everywhere so be prepared. Perhaps do the dry soil removal outside.

Smaller rugs are machine washable if the backing is in good condition. Wash in cold water on gentle cycle. Rugs larger than 30" x 54" must be washed in a large commercial washer (35 lb.) as found in many Laundromats. Larger rugs will be beyond the capabilities of even large commercial washing machines.

Start machine and add mild detergent (no bleach) as water is filling. Add rug after detergent is mixed with water. Use Bridgepoint’s Fabric prespray or Hydro Break (about 2 cup) or other product made for natural fiber rugs instead of laundry detergent. After washing, lay the rug flat to dry. (See more about how to dry below.) After the rug is dry, use your hands to fluff rug to its original state. It is normal for some shedding to occur when rug is washed.

If you have the facilities, washing by total immersion works well. If a rug can survive machine washing then in-plant cleaning should not be a problem. Again Bridgepoint’s Fabric prespray or Hydro Break are the products to use.

Place the rug upside down in a bathtub or shallow washing pit*. If it is a natural fiber, begin rinsing with clear water. Then massage the rug using Fabric Prespray; rinse with lukewarm water. Rinse again in cool water.

Hang dry or tack out. There is a possibility of shrinkage. Flokatis can usually be stretched back to their original size while damp. It may be a good idea to measure the rug before cleaning. Then you will know what the original size is.

Use air flow and / or dehumidification to speed drying of natural fibers. Don't dry above 200 degrees F. Shake while damp to fluff up fibers. Don't rub or brush when damp.

In washing machines, don't use water above 105 degrees F. Water temperatures up to 150 degrees are OK for shorter periods of time such as for HWE.

Because the pile is so deep, HWE will not always provide good results. However, when other methods are not practical, you can clean Flokati using an upholstery tool.

Don’t clean with high pressure or reciprocating brushes.

Don't dry clean with solvents. However, Flokati rugs can be “fluff” cleaned without heat in commercial dryers and then brushed out.

For tough stains don’t forget Stain Magic and Red Relief are both available in special formulations for wool. Stain Zone can be diluted with equal parts water and used on wool. Watch carefully and be ready to rinse out these products if any unwanted color change occurs.

Scott Warrington

* A wash pit of any size can be constructed using a frame of 3” PVC pipe covered with pool liner or heavy gauge plastic.

LisaWagnerCRS

Name
Lisa Wagner
Just a note Scott, that woven Flokatis, and sheepskin hides are two different beasts. The article kind of implies they are the same. Both are wool of course... but construction type warrants some different care.

We clean Flokatis, but I'm not a fan of taking in hides. We send those off to a dry cleaner because sometimes with age those hides get stiff or brittle, and they are very difficult to repair.

We also get Zebra skins, bears and other crazy things... again, not a big fan of these.

Thanks for the how-to insight with the BP products...

Lisa

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom