Rug tagging systems

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
I see that a lot of rug cleaners are using wire tagging products for customer Id and other info. How do you get the wire to penetrate the carpet? Do you use a gun or some other tool? Where do you get your tagging systems from?

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
Some funny boys out there. Some rugs have pretty stiff backings. Just thinking these wires are too flexible to go through. I guess I will have to pick some up and try. I have been using a fabric tagging gun with the plastic wires but they can off during handling. Just wondering if there was a wire tagging gun of some sort.

Reactions: Desk Jockey

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Ron, the wires that I have seen are pretty thin, yet sturdy. They go through most rugs without a problem.

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
You can get blank tyvek tags from ULine, but a littel web searching will find better pricing. Most tag companies offer a choice of wire, so you can add 1/100 of a cent per tag and get a bigger wire. There's a bit of a technique to getting the tag through the rug: Bend the wire 3/4 of an inch from the end and wiggle it through in the space between the weave.

OR, poke a hole with an awl.

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
Ron, the wires that I have seen are pretty thin, yet sturdy. They go through most rugs without a problem.
I will give a shot. Someone was telling me they used the needle from a tagging gun and threaded the wire through that. Probably need to have a little kit that will fit in my pocket when I pick them up.

Chris A

Name
Chris
The only ones I have trouble tagging are tufteds, the rest go through pretty easy

Name
Nate W.
Hey @Cleanworks why not just use multiple plastic tags throughout the same tag you put in? :lol:

We use the wire tags also... My mom loves using the awl like @The Great Oz said, I don't... Maybe my eyes and technique is just better...

I'm still debating what type of Tyvek rug tags I want.. I want one to leave on the rug so the customer knows who to call again... Yes I know we need to market better to our existing clients, but it wouldn't hurt to have a tag with the rugs info on it... Faster processing next time in... Like Name, Size, Fiber type, and have our info on the backside... D.A. Burns has a very nice tag!

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
Hey @Cleanworks why not just use multiple plastic tags throughout the same tag you put in? :lol:

We use the wire tags also... My mom loves using the awl like @The Great Oz said, I don't... Maybe my eyes and technique is just better...

I'm still debating what type of Tyvek rug tags I want.. I want one to leave on the rug so the customer knows who to call again... Yes I know we need to market better to our existing clients, but it wouldn't hurt to have a tag with the rugs info on it... Faster processing next time in... Like Name, Size, Fiber type, and have our info on the backside... D.A. Burns has a very nice tag!
The tags we have are very small. I haven't found larger tags with the same hole size. Otherwise, my tagging gun works well. I think I would prefer the shipping style tags with the reinforced grommets. Very hard to pull off.

T Monahan

Supportive Member
Name
Tom Monahan
20170218_220120.jpg

We print our own Tyvek tags. (But of course we have our own software and printer) We shoot at least 4 fabric tag fasteners in each one.

20170218_215136.jpg
20170218_215308.jpg

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
I do like that standard one but it would be nice to have that reinforced grommet sized smaller so that it could be used with the fabric tagger. It would be nice to either have it in duplicate or just have a numbered tear off to leave with the customer. Using a couple of plastic tagging wires on each would probably suffice.

Ron K

Personally I think wire tags are horrible for rugs and floors. Same goes with glued on tags. If you wouldn't do it"wire tag" a priceless Heirloom from the Getty Museum then why do it to MRs. Pifter. If you are processing rugs in such a fashion that your tags are ripping off then whats happening to the rest of the rug. JMO!
Nylon Taggit's are the ones you want, some "plastics"are really weak. That being said Taggit guns are not 100% either. Some very very fine knotted Silk rugs can be damaged by poking a needle through.

Reactions: T Monahan

roro

Name
Ross Craig
Please give an example on how or what you describe on the tag to be unique to each rug.
The tags are all numbered, so the number is entered on our worksheet which details each step of our process from receipt through to delivery, and is dated and signed off by tech. Simple system but we are not a volume processor.
Also use the tags (using a cable tie) when doing cleaning of venetian blinds to ensure each blind is returned to the same location within an office, as sizes can vary considerably.

roro

Last edited:
Reactions: T Monahan

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
Personally I think wire tags are horrible for rugs and floors. Same goes with glued on tags. If you wouldn't do it"wire tag" a priceless Heirloom from the Getty Museum then why do it to MRs. Pifter
Ron, the wire is a smaller diameter than the plastic tag gun needle, so if damage were to be done, it follows that the wire tag would do less. With either method, if you wiggle the wire or needle between the fiber in the weave rather than chop through the yarn it does no harm. I'd have no trouble tagging 'priceless' rugs with a wire, as every rug that has come into our shop from a museum collection already has a museum tag... wired on.

Lars

Name
Lars
Yeah those thin wire tags work great just thread right through the back of the rugs in the right spot. We usually take the tags off at the truck before delivering them into the customers home. People can get weird about seeing that tag punched in their rug.

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
Yeah those thin wire tags work great just thread right through the back of the rugs in the right spot. We usually take the tags off at the truck before delivering them into the customers home. People can get weird about seeing that tag punched in their rug.
We have a couple of companies here that staple a tag with their company name on the back in the hopes that the customer will call them back. Apparently, people don't because I am always pulling staples out of the carpet. The wire seems less intrusive and I think as long as it can be tucked under the rug it shouldn't be a problem. I see new carpets that have shipping tags wired onto them. I am thinking of getting shipping tags printed up with my name on them and going to the wire system for the main id and using my tagger for additional services.

DannyJr3rdGen

Name
Danny Andreasen Jr
I just use clothes pins and a Ziploc bag to tag rugs or even upholstery. Plus its a cheap way to go as we are just tagging textiles. $49.99 is to spendy for just tagging textiles.

Shorty

RIP
Name
Shorty Glanville
For both Oriental rugs & Leather clothing, I use tyvek labels & a tagging gun with plastic tags.

I use a market pen that will not migrate onto the rug or clothing when wet or dry.

On rugs, I tag where the end will be when cleaned & rolled up awaiting pick-up.

If the rug still has a label, I'll try & tag to that.

On jackets, I tag inside the cuff so that I can easily find the name.

Been doing it this way for a decade & more.

:yoda:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom