Seam Repair

rapidrod

Hi,

First time posters here, recently did carpet repair course however unsure how to deal with this problem.

carpetseam001-1.jpg

Office environment, three problem areas all on seams, where office chairs sit, no chair mats.

Seams are actually ok, the face yarn and secondary backing have delaminated about a meter in all directions ( about the surface area a office chair would roll.

Question: what equipment do I need to repair this, I do not have a seam stretcher.

Will I have to cut the whole seam, restretch, cut excess and replace seam tape?

With furniture in room, seems a bit above me at this point in time but any advice will be appreciated.

Thanks

Rod

John Watson

I have not done any thing like you describe.

If reparable the delamed area needs to be repaired or replaced first.

Is there doner pieces?? is the subfloor wood or gypcrete being an office building???

I am just rambling to myself while we wait for the experts to answer.

Could I use my dead man and PS to tighten just the affected areas? Could I stay nail it to add the doner piece? Or would I need a seam stretcher with my Kool glide to work the seam slowly and try to end up without alot of distortion??.

Yousaid there is 3 areas, are other areas also with no matts??

Charlie Lyman

Supportive Member
Name
Charlie Lyman
While waiting for the experts to answer, I will add my questions. Could the carpet delam be repaired with a glue gun and then pulled together with a mini stretcher and then be finished off with the kool glide?

John, what is a deadman?

M

Mark Imbesi

After converting a meter into inches, I found that this delaminated area is over 3' wide. Whether glued down or stretched in, you will not be able to repair without a donor. But a donor this size would be hard to come by and I know my charges would be damn close to total replacement, especially with moving furniture. BTW, how old is the carpet?

rapidrod

After thinking about it a bit more, I think the room would have to be emptied to repair properly and that is not going to happen here. I think some large chair mats for the time being may be in order until they move or replace.

BTW, the sub floor is concrete.

Thanks

Jack May

That Kiwi
Name
John
Hey Rod,

great to see your post here.

While I'm not an expert in this field, I'll offer some advice till Harry, Tony or Steve or someone else comes along.

I remember Tony posting a few pics ages ago with a similar scenario. Perhaps he may come in and let us know what happened/how he tackled that.

In the mean time, I did a couple of repairs the same, but on a smaller scale.

I trowelled a good contact carpet installation glue into the delamination, then pulled the edges together using my seam stretcher. (I know you said you don't have one, but maybe there's one ofr hire at a local retialer? I also used the DS KG tape along the seam and welded it to hold while it was drying then placed a sheet of ply over the area and a number of heavy paint pails for wieght. Left it two days and went back to clean area and all was ok.

Again, these were on smaller areas where I was only dealing with maybe a foot off the edge of the seam.

John

Stevea

Hi Rod,
Just goes to show, people need to have a chair mat or the carpet will come apart easily. Heavy rolling traffic will certainly delaminate a carpet as seen here. They did their own Phillips Roll Chair Testing and it failed.

I cannot tell how far this goes, I know what you said but it is hard to really tell what is going on by a photo, a lot of this type of work is done by working with what you have. Having said all of that, if I understand correctly, the seams are still together(?), I assume this means on the secondary backing they are still holding in place? I would tend to want to take this apart and see if there is enough room to fold the carpet back enough so that the entire damaged area can be exposed and worked with. If this is possible, simply adhere the backings together with some form of wet set adhesive, or contact or spray adhesive, whatever you are comfortable working with, (bubble glue will also work if you trowel it as well). I then like to apply another backing material to this for added strength and glue it in place, a lot of the adhesive will work it way through the secondary and this added backing will help to hold it. Then if you can get it together, see what will be needed to work your seams, you may have to trim this to get a good match or if you have little to work with, you can manipulate the seams together and as John said, use of DS Kool GLide tape works very nicely here with proper seam sealing with the Koolglide Adhesive.

You will need a powerstretcher or mini stretcher to work this.

You can also use hot melt with a t-tip applicator and put this together but you have to be able to smooth it out carefully or you could have some hard spots that ones will notice from the hot melt. The advantage of the hot melt would be you could assure them it would hold together much better than before, if they do not use a chair mat after the repair. You will also need to have some wood to work on so you will have a nice flat surface
(video here is only to show using work boards to place under ths carpet)
th_MVI_0535.jpg

THe advantage of hot melt is the time factor and strength factor. Carpet should never be folded for more than 4 hours or damage can occurr. That is also why a second backing over the original secondary helps a lot, if this is a closed backing, you can fold the carpet back over and let it set without damaging it by leaving it folded for too long.

Here is a partial clip of this type of repair with use of hot melt, you will have to look closely and quickly but you can see it has been relaminated and then manipulated with a powerstretcher. Even though this is at a metal transition, the principle would be the same except you would be putting the seam back together.
th_Untitled_0001.jpg

Either way, with wet adhesive or hot melt this should be a repairable situation. I tend to like the hot melt unless it is really large, then I will opt for the wet adhesive and add a closed pore backing ( something like monks cloth). With the added backing I can lay it back flat and put flat boards, (the portable flooring I use works great), and then weight them and let them set up. Then work the seam. If you use hot melt you will need a t-tip to be able to 'iron' it out smooth but this is fairly quick and sets us well and if you need an added backing a piece of action bac will work very well.

Sorry if this is so long, I was trying to give you some options and help to explain it. If you are not sure of anything I said, let me know and I will try to cover that area again.

I am on the road right now so I never know what time I will be able to respnd, if you need me to.

SA

D Rice

Name
Doug Rice
Steve, sorry for the dumb question but what is action back? Is that some of the backing that you have pulled off of a piece of carpet?
Thank You, Doug

Harry Myers

Name
Harry Myers
Action back is the secondary backing. Good things to consider here. The delamination will help you with the give. Seam looks like it will need to be recut again. If you get a pattern strecher (Crab Jack ) see how much give you have without distorting your lineal pattern. Othewise you dont want it to be dis- pleasing to the eye. I like Steves Idea of the wet-set adhesive. Allows for a little more time to work with . Great grabbing power. . Crabjack or powerstretcher. Crabjack would be my choice of tool .

Cousin

Just tidying up a loose end, here, Harry.

Action Back is a secondary backing made from Polypropylene, instead of, say, jute.

M

Cousin

Harry Myers said:
Action back is the secondary backing.

You're quite right, Harry. You didn't mention jute. I was just pointing out it is Poly, as opposed to something else, for the purpose of identification.

Do you have much jute used in secondarys there?

M

Harry Myers

Name
Harry Myers
Cousin most installers here think jute backing is not made anymore. I install it all the time. I also do alot of Godfrey Hirst and sell it as well. But to answer your question that is more on the high end side (Jute) backed products.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom