"Sears RUINED my carpet" video

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
POS Portable and dumbasses running it is what happen!!

Looks like it may have filled up and they continued to run it, passing dirty recover water through the vac blowers. It could also have been foam or soap residues that filled the waste tank and passed through the vac blowers.

It may have been corrected had they use d a TM instead of that toy portable.

kmdineen

Name
Kevin Dineen
She said that her smoke detector went off and there wasfire. The vacuum motor likely caught on fire and deposited soot, crud and bitsof the small exhaust hose that comes off the vacuum motors on the carpet. Therewas also likely some burning and or melting of the carpet fibers. Yes Searsshould replace the carpet.

GCCLee

Supportive Member
Name
C. Lee
So what was the final outcome after the 6 man Jury Trial, wtf really?

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
I should have listened the video, I was/am watching a movie and just saw the spot. If it was burned then of course replacement is due them. No cleaning can restore scorched or heat damaged carpet.

Mardie

Name
Mardie VanBree
I know a lady that had Sears clean her wall to wall wool carpet in her living room and to make a long story short they soaked it down so bad that they had to bring in air movers and float the carpet to dry it out and then after 2 weeks of unbearable stink she had the carpet removed at her own expence and then put in a hardwood floor at her own expence.She did not relize that this was Sears fault and they did this to her, untill i explained it to her how all this works. She thought it was the risk of having wool carpet cleaned.

I know another lady that got an in home quote from Sears for carpet cleaning .She told me that he was so agresive that she was very scared of him.

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
The carpet doesn't look burned. Likely the vac brushes fried and the carbon blew onto the carpet. It should be able to be cleaned up if there is no burning. It does point out why you need a disclaimer on your invoices. She won't let them come back again to attempt to correct the problem. It's your right to seek the remedy of your choice to absolve the claim. But, you have to state it on your invoice. This is what I have on mine: Due to Insurance regulations; Items such as: breakables ,TVs, computers,
glassware, grandfather clocks, bookshelves, or pianos can not be moved.
Royal is not responsible for color transfer, change, bleeding, shrinking,
or loose seems in carpet or furniture. Some stains, spots or shading may
be permanent due to their nature.
Royal Cleaning Service reserves the
right to Replace, Repair or Refund the cost of cleaning on all claims.

Last edited:

GCCLee

Supportive Member
Name
C. Lee
The carpet doesn't look burned. Likely the vac brushes fried and the carbon blew onto the carpet. It should be able to be cleaned up if there is no burning. It does point out why you need a disclaimer on your invoices. She won't let them come back again to attempt to correct the problem. It's your right to seek the remedy of your choice to absolve the claim. But, you have to state it on your invoice. This is what I have on mine: Due to Insurance regulations; Items such as: breakables ,TVs, computers,
glassware, grandfather clocks, bookshelves, or pianos can not be moved.
Royal is not responsible for color transfer, change, bleeding, shrinking,
or loose seems in carpet or furniture. Some stains, spots or shading may
be permanent due to their nature.
Royal Cleaning Service reserves the
right to Replace, Repair or Refund the cost of cleaning on all claims.

Thank You for Pointing this out Dave :clap:

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
not sure if I would let those two back in either, would have to be a senior inspector of a different impartial company.
If they had sucked up foam from a previous job it would blow out like that. I used to put a towel under the exhaust to prevent that. It should never get THAT BLACK! Very poor maintenance.
She may hurt her case by posting that video, esp if it goes to a 6 person jury trial.

friend of mine called me the other day saying someone had posted a sign on their yard warning people about Sears. He went by too quick to get a picture.
They have TV commercials up here promoting clean carpet for $19.99/room.

I think they have a Platinum SOA too! :oldrolleyes:

Last edited:

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
I have good friends that are restoration but also bought a Sears franchise, they are excellent cleaners. They've been around for decades and run Prochem units. They know how to clean, ran Turbo Tec's for many years, not all Sear's are the same.

These guys bought in because the get a discount on everything including new TM's.

Willy P

Name
Willy P
POS Portable and dumbasses running it is what happen!!

Looks like it may have filled up and they continued to run it, passing dirty recover water through the vac blowers. It could also have been foam or soap residues that filled the waste tank and passed through the vac blowers.

It may have been corrected had they use d a TM instead of that toy portable.

Jeezus Richard, that constant belittling of porty guys is getting damn tired. There's lot of great cleaners operating portables and there's more than a few buffoons running TM's.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
I doubt you have it correct Willy, in comparison there are far more hacks running portables than there are running TM's. Cost for one allows anyone with a couple of hundred bucks to call themselves a "Professional Carpet Cleaner". Really? Most of them are far from it, these are the guys that keep the Mardies of the world in business.

I'm not saying you can't do a good job with a portable, you can.

What I'm saying is it takes much more effort than a tech operating a TM and when you're a bottom feeder cleaning for next to nothing, the last thing a hack is going to do is spend more time on a job when he has already under priced it.

Mardie

Name
Mardie VanBree
I doubt you have it correct Willy, in comparison there are far more hacks running portables than there are running TM's. Cost for one allows anyone with a couple of hundred bucks to call themselves a "Professional Carpet Cleaner". Really? Most of them are far from it, these are the guys that keep the Mardies of the world in business.

I'm not saying you can't do a good job with a portable, you can.

What I'm saying is it takes much more effort than a tech operating a TM and when you're a bottom feeder cleaning for next to nothing, the last thing a hack is going to do is spend more time on a job when he has already under priced it.

Well Richard my prices are much higher than the T/M guys in my area AND the referals and reapeats just keep coming in. I would agree that their are a lot more amatures using portables than TMs and the reason for that is simple.Their are probaly 50 portables to every TM in operation in this industry. I could well imagine that the majority of all cc started out with a portable.IT IS ALL ABOUT ATTITUDE. And in a matter of fact all full service cc need a portable.

Last edited:

Willy P

Name
Willy P
No I have it dead on - a hack is a hack, whether they're operating a TM or a Bissel. I'm not a bottom feeder and I do high quality work.Over three quarters of my work is referral or repeat. the Sears franchise here has a fleet of Hydramaster TM's, but a shitty reputation. It's not the machine, it's the guy pushing the wand. See below for more. I have to run- 2 repeats and a referral to go do.

http://homestars.com/companies/2759300-sears-carpet-upholstery-cleaning

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
I understand your predicament with the hoses Willy. As far as portables I'd say you are the exception but there are few portable operators that are going to go to the length you do to ensure a good job. The same hacks, with a TM are going to do a better job than if they owned a portable, even if by accident just because they have better equipment.

And while I agree its about the attitude, using a portable you're a a distinct DIS-advantage.

Mardie you live in a dream world, I think you need to investigate purchasing a TM before someone comes in your market and give you a giant bitch slap and takes your work from you. Do it before they do!

juniorc82

Supportive Member
Name
Jon Coret
Richard I think willy has you on this one. Yes a tm can be a great equilizer and yes Ive seen a tm keep a couple shitty cleaners a float because the machine compinsated for their lack of skill. On the other hand I have saw a measurable amount of hacks who run tm's. I have saw houses get flooded from garden hose hook ups, furniture get ruined from getting cleaned with emulsifier, tm's catch on fire in parking lots, techs empty the dump tank in customer driveway, carpet left wet for days , wood floors and walls scratched to hell, black death , exhaust coming into buildings .... and thats just what I have seen. Btw I was the one who let the exhaust in a building ! we were cleaning a nursing home and the wind caught the exhaust and blew it straight inside and set of a carbon monoxide detector . I run tm's , porty's, and vlm and recognize the risk and responsiblity with each one.

Vivers

Supportive Member
Name
Bill
There are a ton of great portables out there, this one clearly was not. I thought Sears had TM. Your not going to have this problem using a TM, that's all I have to say. I only use a Portable if I'm not able to reach a job and that's the only time. Sears needs to do right by this customer. It's bad business if they don't take care of their customer, when this was clearly their fault.

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
As far as I know, Sears does not clean carpet. What they do is sell their name to any carpet cleaner that want's to buy in. So, Sears can be Joe blow to Joe Pro.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom