SFS the one and only.

Mikey P

Administrator
The Strategies For Success program is a perfect example of how any business should be ran. Charming, personable well educated employees who go way out of their way to help its "customers" and to make cheerleaders out of each and every one of them.

The whole presentation was done with class, finesse and a caring professionalism that keeps you hanging on the teacher's every word. Chuck, Bill and Steve have their act down. While the time spent in the classroom seat can be long, the information shared along with their anecdotes keeps the full days moving right along.

Nick and his crew do a first class job at keeping the students happy and very well fed. Great food (even for a Vegetarian), a comfortable well stocked classroom, prizes, well paid presenters, two arm fulls of extremely valuable material to take home too boot. As well as a great group BBQ dinner at a nice riverside restaurant, daily shuttle service to and from the hotel and the Jon Don location and much more makes it very obvious that Jon Don does not only not make any money off these sessions but probably looses quite a bit. I can only assume that they make it back in scores by creating a dedicated cheerleader out of us students. I will certainly be ordering more from them more in the future.

Angela (Nicks daughter) Parthavie (sp?) and Glen Evans could not have done a better job at making sure the Big Show went as planned. I hope I can learn from them to make MikeFest run tighter next year.

I have never been to a facility of the size of this Jon Don before so I was amazed at its size and selection. As I walked the isles I couldn’t help but miss some of the items that a High Performance cleaner would want. Like 2.5 hoses, Parflex pressure hose, Gglides for all those wands they sell and upholstery tools, cotton pads and bonnets, a better selection of rotaries and a OP machine or two, the new Airpath and I hate to say it, real Cool Cuffs, those yellow knock offs are a insult to my intelligence. I could only imagine myself being an employee there and getting them up to date (Nick made me a job offer that was hard to refuse but I think it was the Chianti talking) I guess in time when the Pimp yo Truckmount thing gets more popular they will jump on board and stock these parts.

Day one with Chuck Violand was spent covering all sorts of ways to make your company financially more efficient. Topics like balance sheets, P & L’s, job costing, employee compensation, material cost analysis, hiring and firing and various other ways to crunch the numbers made me very glad I brought my wife (and office manager) along for the ride. My technically oriented mind would have had a real problem bringing home all this information and relaying it to her effectively. She kept great notes and is excited to get busy implementing much of what was taught ASAP. Could I have just handed her the manual and hoped that she figured it out?
Probably..
But learning this type of stuff (she is not a professional accountant by any means) in a class room setting really does help one get it ingrained in their minds.
Chuck had a CD full of spreadsheets and forms that he designed for us rug suckers for sale that we will be sure to order. His mentoring/coaching service was also mentioned.

Day two was spent with Big Bill Yeadon at the helm. Billy is a great entertainer and his dreams of one day hitting the stage as a back up singer for Ted Nugent really became apparent in his lively stage presence.
Topics covered were everything you need to know to design your own ad, whether it is a yellow page ad, Val Pak coupon, flyer or a direct mail piece. Website design, radio, TV and the back of a super market receipt is all discussed in detail. Bill is a life long student of advertising science. He recommended many books that should be read by any cleaner including Waldo and Ken Snow.
To be honest this day held my attention the least, as I currently do not need to market my company much. But I suspect that if I do just 20% of what Chuck and Steve taught, I’ll be back to review Bill’s lessons in detail. Many of Jon Don’s DVD and marketing pieces were offered for sale through out Bill’s presentation.

Days three, four and five had the king of all Seminar Presenters on stage. Steve Toburen is a master at relaying his message. His knowledge is amazing to say the least. I suggested that when he gets his Mikey Vac tattoo next week (my treat) that he gets the saying “Been there, done that” inked right below it.
Everyone I talked to or overheard said he was the best presenter they had ever experienced. Not to take anything away from Bill or Chuck but SFS IS Steve Toburen. I can’t imagine how they will continue the program with out him. I would highly, highly recommend you attend it before Steve moves on.

PS. Topics covered included Value Added Service (going a step or ten further then your competition), Creating cheerleaders out of your customers, building a infrastructure (systems) for your business and again, his stuff works for a OO like Waldo or a mega multi like Ken Snow.
The Service Circle concept is discussed over his 3 days in full detail. Making sure that from the moment your customer or client calls to when they get the thank you card in the mail the next week, all is handled with a precision that lets you control and direct her buying experience. Steve goes into great detail on how to assembly line of sorts to deal with the “hand off” between those steps so you don’t stumble and create a “Negative Moment of Truth”.
Dealing with employees gets a lot of time. Everything form hiring, firing and keeping them fat and content is dealt with great detail.
Upselling, particularly with fabric protectors is also given plenty of plenty of time. I have no problem with selling the stuff and even I learned some good stuff.
A “Stay Beautiful” or Forever Clean program was discussed in great detail. It’s hard to argue with the math when Steve lays it out.
Commercial contracts are also gone over with loads of detail as are Fire, Water and Smoke work. Nothing was really missed and if you had further questions Steve was and is available to talk about any individual concerns. Like any other class of this nature there were a few guys in class who had a anecdote or question far too often. Chuck, Bill and Steve dealt with them very well. Actually it hurt my feelings when Island Boy would roll his eyes when my arm went up every third time. Steve really didn’t have anything for sale other then some old CDs he made way before SFS came to be. One lucky guy won them for a good idea he had that will be included into future SFS workbooks.

Is SFS for everyone?
For the most part, yes it is. If you own a Carpet Cleaning biz and you want to do better, whether that be just more profit from your one truck show. Or you need to get your 6 or 26 truck show more on track and want ways to save on advertising by creating cheerleaders out of your customers then by all means sign up today.
If you’re the type of guy who already knows it all, is content with owning your job and couldn’t be happier with the results that your Val Pak or YP ad already does then by all means don’t waste your time.

I for one couldn’t be happier with what I got out of the class. Like I told Lisa when we talked today. Even if I came home empty handed I would be satisfied. All the extra stuff is just a real thick icing on a very sweet cake.

Doug Cox

Supportive Member
Name
Doug Cox
Yeah, so will it make the Mikey more money or have you basically hit the top?

Good question Doug.

I am in a very tough situation here and have been scratching my head asking my self the same question for the past two years.

If I cant figure out how to make more, with SFS's help at the very least I'll keep more.

Ken Snow

RIP
Name
Ken Snow
Great post Mike and yes I have gotten loads of good info as have the three manager's I have sent and the 50+ employees who attended the VAST classes we sponsored.

The class, kindness, generosity & integrity shown by all the JonDon people involved and insightful information taught in the class make SFS a huge cheerleader making machine for JD.

Ken

-JB-

Name
JB
M-

You didn't talk that much the entire time you were there!

Great post, I couldn't agree more :wink:

Thanks so much to all the SFS crew, and staff at Jon-Don, now . . . back to my to do list!

Gary T

Now Mike, You could have spent several months at the library, and another several at your local college for some of that info. Then maybe payed another guy several thousands of dollars for the manuals you took home.

WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH YOU!!!!

-JB-

Name
JB
Now Mike, You could have spent several months at the library, and another several at your local college for some of that info. Then maybe payed another guy several thousands of dollars for the manuals you took home.

Ya. But what fun would that be?

Doug D

Supportive Member
Name
Doug Dimick
glad to hear that Steve is a good speaker. get to listen to him in January in Houston. Am also looking forward to going to a SFS as well someday soon.

Bruce Parsons

Why did I know when you took that picture of my truck that it would somehow end up on your board? Ha, Ha..

Mike&Paula,

It was great meeting you both at the dinner wed. night. Too bad we didn't get the time to really discuss the business like I would have wanted to, but theres only so much time to go around.

You should have taken me up up on dinner at the Country club, I'm sure they would have cooked you vegetarians up a great meal. I might have been able to coerce them into making you some " scrapple".

Anyway maybe if things turn out right, Rob and I will make it out to your winterfest this winter.

Later, Bruce

The Preacher

the sentiment of someone not talking too much is a testament to the instructors. If you have better info than them, start yore own class and compete, if not, shut the heLL up and learn and allow others to do so as well !!!

J Scott W

Name
Jeffrey Scott Warrington
Danny Strickland said:
the sentiment of someone not talking too much is a testament to the instructors. If you have better info than them, start yore own class and compete, if not, shut the heLL up and learn and allow others to do so as well !!!

Danny, have you ever considered taking your own advice. I feel it would apply to bulletin boards as well as in a class room setting.

Scott Warrington

Steve Toburen

Supportive Member
Durango, Colorado/Santiago, Dominican Republic
Name
Steve Toburen
Actually, Scott, when I saw that Danny was signed up for SFS in Tampa I too was a bit intimidated. But the "real Danny" (as so often happens) was a bit different from his internet persona. He paid excellent attention and, believe it or not, made some on target comments without meandering off into "Danny territory".

So I gotta say yore off base, good buddy, on Danny! :) (I am like a mother bear defending her cubs when it comes to my SFS members!) Believe it or not, Scott, Danny won a recent TIPS contest with a very well written and technical procedure! So there!

Steve Toburen CR
Director of Training and Head Scout Master
Jon-Don's Strategies for Success

PS Plus Scott you remember from when you attended your own SFS seminar that it is a delicate balancing act between keeping the class moving forward while digesting a huge amount of information but not stifling some very exciting students who often ask questions that remind the absent minded instructors of something they forgot to bring up! It can be quite a challenge but we WANT participation.

PPS My thanks to all the alumni who commented above. When an middle aged has-been rug sucker got the call from Jon-Don on a hot day in the Dominican Republic way back in 1996 to do a one day seminar for them he had NO IDEA what it would lead to. Being a part of creating this wonderful thing we have come to call Strategies for Success with over 2,000 of the finest people anywhere on board has truly been one of the joys of my life. Who woulda thunk it? I (and all of your SFS team) look forward to serving all of you in the years to come. As more members come on board it should only get better as we all share together! Now get those TIPS in! You too, Danny!

F

FB7777

I'm on the fence about attending SFS.

I really don't think I'll be sold until I get ad copy from Jon Don with yellow highlighted sections of student success stories about how they increased their business by $30,000 per month using one strategy.

I also get inspired when I see guys holding up signs with thumbs up showing how much their business increased.

SFS just doesn't seem to be hokey rah rah enough for me :roll:

Goldenboy

Name
Mike Waldron
I dont need no stinkin SFS. I got ADHD. I have no attention span. 5 days in a classroom. Forget about it.

Golden Boy

-JB-

Name
JB
OK, but, you still, need to go!

Except Waldo, I wouldn't wanna do that to Steve. :lol:

The Preacher

WOW, Steve got in a bar fight for me :shock:

actually i think Scott might have been kidding just a bit. if not, i'll sign up for a class he's teaching and bog that thing down on page one!!! :D

Steve Toburen

Supportive Member
Durango, Colorado/Santiago, Dominican Republic
Name
Steve Toburen
You are right, Danny. Scott is a good guy and actually proved to be a good and attentive student at the SFS seminar he attended. His sense of humor can be a bit warped which is probably why he fits in so well with all of us.

Steve Toburen CR
Director of Training and friendly internet sparring partner of Scotty W.
Jon-Don's Strategies for Success

PS It's not Scott's fault that he talks funny after all those years in the South. Whoops, yore a Suuthuun boy too, ain't ya, Danny! (My Tennessee raised mother-in-law can get four syllables out of a four letter word like "time" as in pronounced phonetically "teeaauumum" or something like that.)

A. wilson

Waldo,
your attention problem is from THC, not adhd. If you didnt have short term memory problems you would have remembered that.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom