Sheep skin with sueded leather back

WillS

Supportive Member
Name
Will
A customer called today saying she had a sheep skinned rug with a sueded leather back that has a ton of pet urine on it. She said she took the advice of another cleaning service that said to soak the back and use dish soap? Not sure why this was recommended, but she said the back of the rug now is hard and very stiff.

We declined to clean it as I'm not sure we would be able to do a proper job. The only way I would think is to spot clean the urine spots w/neutralizer and rinse with warm water. Besides that, I'm just curious to find out, how do you get the back of that rug to no longer be stiff?

Does it have to be rinsed in hot water and dried some sort of way? Any information would be good for learning purposes. Thanks!

Papa John

Lifetime Supportive Member
Name
John Stewart
If this sheep skin it the normal size of typical sheep skin rug-- about 3x5-- the best way to solve this problem it to take a $100 bill to Costco and buy a new one-- you might even get some change back..

its just not worth correcting. she made "rawhide" out of the skin.

Reactions: WillS

J Scott W

Name
Jeffrey Scott Warrington
Replacement may be the best option. However, if they want to pay the price, you can clean and then treat the back with Hydro-Force or Leathermaster conditioner / revitalizer to give some suppleness to the backing.

Reactions: Shorty

Shorty

RIP
Name
Shorty Glanville
After cleaning and treating as Scott suggested, run the rug backwards & forwards, over a round horizontal pole to break-up, or flex, the fibrous cells inside the leather to make it soft and pliable again.

You will probably need a lot of conditioner & time, hence charge accordingly.

We call sheepskin, "Shearling" down under.

:yoda:

Reactions: J Scott W

Old Coastie

Supportive Member
Name
Stephen
Dang it Shorty, I was gonna rent him an Eskimo woman to chew it like mukluk.

And your posts still appear upside down on this forum, too.

Shorty

RIP
Name
Shorty Glanville
yoda_zpsssbqiouw.gif

˙ǝɹoɟǝq ʇɐɥʇ ǝɯ pןoʇ ɹǝʌǝ sɐɥ ǝuo ou

¡¡¡¡¡ ɹǝbbnq

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom