Should I let it go ?

Luky

Name
Mario
I got the Vanguard engine delivered by FedEx this morning. It arrived in this box with " insulation" like that.
Should I return the engine so I'm not risking internal damage to the engine?
I ordered it just to have the spare on, the same goes for the water pump ( coming tomorrow and I hope the packaging will be more presentable)

20230830_104610.jpg 20230830_104629.jpg

Papa John

Lifetime Supportive Member
Name
John Stewart
Looks like the damage to the box was from inside.
It depends on how the engine was arranged inside the box. Were the vital parts on the side of the damaged box?
Was there foam padding on the other side and top?

I was thoroughly impressed with how my TOPS Machine was so well packed and protected. Perhaps a little overkill but much appreciated. Love that Hillbilly ingenuity. ❤️

Reactions: Mike J and Mikey P

Luky

Name
Mario
Nobody other than me and one or two other assholes will ask who you ordered it from?
I ordered the engine from Acme Tools(a company founded in 1948). It looks like the box was sitting in the warehouse for some time, but what got me was a single piece of half-broken poly foam.
I got the return label and dropped it off at the FedEx location. It's safer now...

20230831_115938.jpg

Luky

Name
Mario
is the end of the crank shaft peened?
(evidence of a hard drop)

if not, my WAG would figure it's OK
engines take a heavy pounding every time the cylinder fires.

..L.T.A.
The shaft was okay, but there was some damage around the ignition switch; the key was in the ignition and peeking through the hole in the cardboard box. I was worried about internal damage. When I tried to move the shaft, it didn't budge. I didn't remove the spark plugs to release compression, though. I lost interest in that engine when I realized that the cover on the top of the filter was backward.
Here is the packaging of the water pump; there is a big difference.

20230831_155101.jpg 20230831_155040.jpg

Luky

Name
Mario
Looks like the damage to the box was from inside.
It depends on how the engine was arranged inside the box. Were the vital parts on the side of the damaged box?
Was there foam padding on the other side and top?

I was thoroughly impressed with how my TOPS Machine was so well packed and protected. Perhaps a little overkill but much appreciated. Love that Hillbilly ingenuity. ❤️
Packaging makes a huge difference.

Reactions: Papa John

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
I ordered the engine from Acme Tools(a company founded in 1948). It looks like the box was sitting in the warehouse for some time, but what got me was a single piece of half-broken poly foam.
I got the return label and dropped it off at the FedEx location. It's safer now...

View attachment 124260
Well, that's your problem right there. Probably, the coyote tried to drop it on the road runner.

• Haha
Reactions: Jim Pemberton

Papa John

Lifetime Supportive Member
Name
John Stewart
@Luky A Wise decision to have backups. I did the same and saved the business from closing for many months possibly.

Ordered a backup engine for the SS370 TM, which Took 18 months. Used a part off the engine last month. Only had to close the business down for 2 days vs. 2-3 weeks if taken to the dealer's shop. Good thing I know how to work on my equipment.

Reactions: Luky

Luky

Name
Mario
Yeah, a post-Covid era is much easier when it comes to ordering equipment and tools. I ordered the engine and pump last Saturday; the engine came this Wednesday, and the pump on Thursday. That's unparalleled speed and no shipping charges. Unfortunately, I had to return the Vanguard engine to Acme Tools because of inadequate packaging.
I like to be prepared; my engine is nearing 4,000 hours, it work fine; I want to sell it while it is good and start with a new one. Blower is fine, so is everything else. No visits of the repair shops needed🙂

Reactions: Papa John

Luky

Name
Mario
Update on engine
" situation. " This one came in a thick cardboard box that was nicely protected. I've removed the top part of the packaging to expose the engine.
Now, I need another pair of hands to help install it.
Is anyone offering help?

20231108_004147.jpg

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom