Should the CC industry lobby to become a reconized trade ?

Mardie

Name
Mardie VanBree
No claims, just reality! Hate to pop your bubble but when the day comes and you're losing market share it's going to be from someone using more advanced technology. "Exclusive Contractor"? dude that can change at a whim, today you are it tomorrow the phone isn't ringing because they are calling someone else.

The thing that you do not understand is that i have taken these jobs from the most advanced steam cleaning operations in my area and i did not do it on price. Not only that the reason i got these jobs is because of results that are beyond compare.

Mardie

Name
Mardie VanBree
He doesn't care about any of that he just wants to make it more difficult for newbies to start up. He's not thinking about or doesn't care about the unintended consequences. He wants to get in bed with government to limit competition.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

I dont want anything as you have suggested.I only made this post to see what every one else thought about being reconized as a licenced trade.It is just a question that i have for the members of this board...

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Yea you're amazing! :oldrolleyes: NO one else in the industy can compare to the cleaning you're delivering.......of course NO one else is using such out dated equipment either. :lol:
Push your soap box and think you're deal, it's doesn't matter to me, I know the truth. :hopeless:

All I can say is stay in Can-uh-duh, but if you do cross the border, bring a note pad because cleaning school will be in session and you might actually learn how to clean. :p

Mardie

Name
Mardie VanBree
I strongly disagree, Mardie
learning how to run that shampoo box is no more or less difficult than most any piece of equipment
and honest to God, I don't care what method you or anyone else uses ..but the MAIN reason it's not widely used is simply and wholly due to being less efficient compared to other methods that give equal or better results .

now, lets get back to exploring this idea of gov regs and how they'll work.

how do you envision these new gov regs to be set up ?
Will we have to get a gov cert for each individual method used and be certified gov "oakie doakie" to use a TM, OP/rotary , shampoo box and solvent soaked ground corn cob? (Host if you're not familiar)
What will the cost need to be to keep out the "riff raff" ?
How comprehensive will the training be and what will it cover
who will oversee and enforce it?..the EPA? OSHA? state and/or local agencies?
(will it be Federal or state/local ?)

..L.T.A.

..l.T.A.

Larry i made this post because i was curious as to the benifeits of being reconized as a licenced trade and that is it..Many of my questions have been answerd thanks to you and several other people that have responded. This post is just a question. As of now i see a lot more negetives than positives mainly because if the brain dead beurocats get their fingers into this pie it will be a mess.
I like the one responce that said let the public be our regulators.

Last edited:

Mardie

Name
Mardie VanBree
Yea you're amazing! :oldrolleyes: NO one else in the industy can compare to the cleaning you're delivering.......of course NO one else is using such out dated equipment either. :lol:
Push your soap box and think you're deal, it's doesn't matter to me, I know the truth. :hopeless:

All I can say is stay in Can-uh-duh, but if you do cross the border, bring a note pad because cleaning school will be in session and you might actually learn how to clean. :p

The company my primary equipment comes from has just celebrated its 75th anniversery. They have more internationally reconized accredidation than any other company in north america. You can go to my home page to get a small sample www.naturalcleaningsystems.ca
My results come from hard work and the understanding of what needs to be done to accomplish the task at hand.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Thay haven't changed anything in 75-years either. :clap:

Seriously the system works and if it works well for you great.

However is it has limitations, it works best as a maintenance method, not corrective. Good for light to moderately soiled carpets, but there are better methods that will be more productive beyond that level of soiling.

I'd consider adding an OP or 175 machine to your arsenal, maybe some day..... dare I say HWE. One method limits your abilities whether you recognize it or not.

Give up on bashing HWE cleaners, like any method you have good and bad HWE cleaners. You seem way too hung up on the bad. :icon_rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:

Mardie

Name
Mardie VanBree
What operating hazards would that be that are not on counters, toilet bowls and seats?

The one i see as the worst would be hoses or fittings blowing apart in peoples homes. Is that what you guys call black death ? Keep hearing that word but dont know what it means. Then the trucks flooding in peoples drivways.All them chems and dirty water must leave some staining? Hot hoses burning landscape and even some carpet. Personal injury due to burns from hw and the equipment.Then you got all them hose on commercial jobs that have to be managed not to mention the security issues. These are just a few issues that T/M operators must contend with and i see that as being a lot more hazardas than putting down a wet floor sign after mopping a floor or cleaning toilets (some toilets lol).

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Come on guys.
Mardie's question is legitimate.
And like other trades it may land a bit of legitimacy. However, just as Larry said, plenty of "legitimate" trades licenses etc and still many crooks and not a very good reputation.

So, my answer Mardie is that we are better off without it.

We can look at the "lack of legitimacy" as an opportunity to shine. Just being on time and fair with the client already will set one apart from the competition. And that is before they even cleaned.

Mardie

Name
Mardie VanBree
Thay haven't changed anything in 75-years either. :clap:

Seriously the system works and if it works well for you great.

However is it has limitations, it works best as a maintenance method, not corrective. Good for light to moderately soiled carpets, but there are better methods that will be more productive beyond that level of soiling.

I'd consider adding an OP or 175 machine to your arsenal, maybe some day..... dare I say HWE. One method limits your abilities whether you recognize it or not.

Give up on bashing HWE cleaners, like any method you have good and bad HWE cleaners. You seem way too hung up on the bad. :icon_rolleyes:

I only bash back after i get bashed. This post has nothing to do with methods. You are the one that turned it into a method pissing match.You do not have a clue on how i clean carpet or how i go about it so anything you have to say about my buisness is nonsence.

Mardie

Name
Mardie VanBree
Come on guys.
Mardie's question is legitimate.
And like other trades it may land a bit of legitimacy. However, just as Larry said, plenty of "legitimate" trades licenses etc and still many crooks and not a very good reputation.

So, my answer Mardie is that we are better off without it.

We can look at the "lack of legitimacy" as an opportunity to shine. Just being on time and fair with the client already will set one apart from the competition. And that is before they even cleaned.

Agree 101%

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
I only bash back after i get bashed. This post has nothing to do with methods. You are the one that turned it into a method pissing match.You do not have a clue on how i clean carpet or how i go about it so anything you have to say about my buisness is nonsence.
Really? Look in every thread you post in and see if you don't bash HWE. You do in nearly every thread.

I could care less how you clean and I try not to get involved but your constant bashing of HWE is irritating especially coming from a One Trick Pony! :madd:

I tell you what, you don't bash HWE anymore (here) and I promise I won't say another thing in any of your threads. :icon_cool:

Connor

Name
Connor
Should it? No, not needed. Clean is relative and standards vary. There's a reason why they don't put carpet in slaughter houses.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
My results come from hard work and the understanding of what needs to be done to accomplish the task at hand.

egg-zaccally Mardie ..it's no different for EVERY other method either.
if most used VS, the ratio of good, mediocre and poor operators would be just the same ...it ain't the method dude

Depending on your plans for the future , you may be making a grave mistake by promoting method marketing madness.
Tell you why, if you decide to expand your horizons in the interest of efficiency, greater profit and/or "better for the job at hand" systems/methods, you'll be pigeon holed by your own doing .

When you eventually discover there are better mousetraps to be used in many situations..and start to use them, you'll end up looking like a big bullsheeter to your custy base ...or you'll have make up lies like chem-lie...who now uses TMs (but can't call them TMs cause they've spent years dogging them)
So don't set yourself up to become the disingenuous liars that they are

sell "clean" carpet..not method

If you choose to stay a niche cleaner and cherry pic the jobs based on the limits of your system , have at it.
but don't be surprised if (WHEN) a hungry hot shot with a work ethic and custy pleasing smile as good as yours comes in behind you to do a demo with a better system ...and takes your account

..L.T.A.

Reactions: Desk Jockey

Ken Snow

RIP
Name
Ken Snow
I don't think in the last 10 years (or 400,000 homes) we have had one of those incidents Mardie. We sure can cause other issues, but not those you related, more the kind that method would impact i.e. breaking a sofa or chair leg, etc.

Derek

Supportive Member
Name
Derek
my biz is great. why would anyone with a thriving business want to mess with it?

i would think the only people that would want to become a licensed trade are those who's business is not doing as good as they think it should.?. other CC'ers who do a lousy job and have clients who dislike the results they're getting doesn't affect my biz negatively. i like to think that it affects it for the good actually.

nothing broke here.

Reactions: Desk Jockey

SMRBAP

Supportive Member
Name
Anthony
Getting back to point - doesn't seem there is any need for regulation. It's typically burdening, inefficient, and costs more than it's value in many cases.

Not on carpet cleaning.

Restoration - damn skippy they need to regulate it. I'm sick and tired of seeing good folks screwed by guys that think a wand, 2 fans, and a sears dehu constitutes a dry-out. Or that mold can be pressured washed out of a finished home, etc.

I'd bear the headache and costs to rid the market of companies that shouldn't be in that game.

Jeff Madsen

Supportive Member
Name
Jeff Madsen
I find it humorous that some people want to limit the "riff-raff" from entering the industry. I, for one, was definitely "riff-raff". I started with my wife's mini-van (the horrors!) a Pro Chem Cheyenne portable and an Oreck LowBoy. I had no money, limited expertise and a real big dream (big for me at the time). I am thankful every day for this industry that offers so much opportunity for "riff-raff" like me!

We need increased government involvement in any form in our industry like we need a hole in the head!

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
the thing about the methods, LM is the easiest to get into ie for cost and training, produce "moderate to exceptional" visual improvements, and the least potential for creating "damage".
Hot water extraction costs the most if you're going to buy decent equipment, requires a high level of proficiency in training, and depending on that training, if poor will produce poor to moderate results and potential for great damage, to exceptional to remarkable cleaning when having a high proficiency.
Its like playing a violin, the same instrument produces the most God aweful sounds or the most amazingly beautiful music. LM is more like playing a kazoo. Hard to mess up.

It would be extremely hard to produce a standard that could be "controlled", regulated. The best you could do is what the CRI tried and failed to do, regulate the equipment and the chemistry. They just made a mockery of the testing. The IICRC tries to train the technician, ie the user, which is the better way to proceed. With a well trained tech, they can use any piece of equipment, any method, and can safely use or even more important, know what not to use.

If the govt got involved they would create a mess, it would become more corrupt, there would be more bait and switch because the "good cleaners" would be regulated out of busn. That, and LM methods would be more highly regulated because of their limited means of actually "cleaning".

F

FB7777

Dry foam is nothing more than appearance cleaning

But good for you Mardie, half of the battle is believing in yourself and your method, the only half is delivering the goods

As far as regulation, Like Larry and others I have my serious doubts that it will positively impact our industry

Government intervention only serve to reduce your bottom line, not sure how it could be enforced anyways. There would be a considerable amount of companies and. Individuals under the radar not complying.

Good topic tho, keep an open mind about HWE Mardie if you are in this business for the long haul, I guarantee it will play a role in your operation... Especially if you grow beyond a couple hundred thousand a year in gross sales

Mardie

Name
Mardie VanBree
I don't think in the last 10 years (or 400,000 homes) we have had one of those incidents Mardie. We sure can cause other issues, but not those you related, more the kind that method would impact i.e. breaking a sofa or chair leg, etc.

Well Ken i am glad to see you are not effected by all the complications that the HWE guys on this board have shared with us in the past. It should be noted that you are a very large employee based company and as such i could well imagine that their is a lot of f----ups that goes on out in the feild that you as the employer will never here about.

Last edited:

Mardie

Name
Mardie VanBree
Dry foam is nothing more than appearance cleaning

But good for you Mardie, half of the battle is believing in yourself and your method, the only half is delivering the goods

As far as regulation, Like Larry and others I have my serious doubts that it will positively impact our industry

Government intervention only serve to reduce your bottom line, not sure how it could be enforced anyways. There would be a considerable amount of companies and. Individuals under the radar not complying.

Good topic tho, keep an open mind about HWE Mardie if you are in this business for the long haul, I guarantee it will play a role in your operation... Especially if you grow beyond a couple hundred thousand a year in gross sales

I consider myself to be 100% open minded.Unlike HWE guys i do not try to fool myself into believing that their is one method that reins supreme. As far as appearance cleaning goes. The reason i can make a carpet look so good can be understood after looking into my clear plastic recovery tank.
As i have said many times before since i have been on this board is that i am not method minded and am about as loyal as a dog in heat when it comes to equipment. As a fairly new company and no history in this buisness the only thing i got going for me is superiour results and that is exactly what i have been able to accomplish to date.
The way I know how I am doing is by comparison and by what the customer have to say and their words are the truth when their referals and repeats are ongoing.

Mardie

Name
Mardie VanBree
the thing about the methods, LM is the easiest to get into ie for cost and training, produce "moderate to exceptional" visual improvements, and the least potential for creating "damage".
Hot water extraction costs the most if you're going to buy decent equipment, requires a high level of proficiency in training, and depending on that training, if poor will produce poor to moderate results and potential for great damage, to exceptional to remarkable cleaning when having a high proficiency.
Its like playing a violin, the same instrument produces the most God aweful sounds or the most amazingly beautiful music. LM is more like playing a kazoo. Hard to mess up.

It would be extremely hard to produce a standard that could be "controlled", regulated. The best you could do is what the CRI tried and failed to do, regulate the equipment and the chemistry. They just made a mockery of the testing. The IICRC tries to train the technician, ie the user, which is the better way to proceed. With a well trained tech, they can use any piece of equipment, any method, and can safely use or even more important, know what not to use.

If the govt got involved they would create a mess, it would become more corrupt, there would be more bait and switch because the "good cleaners" would be regulated out of busn. That, and LM methods would be more highly regulated because of their limited means of actually "cleaning".

Ron you realy have not got a clue.I will be glad to give you a new perspective that you can work on. Here it goes like this.

Their are several different methods to clean carpet and many different variations of each method.Each method has its own particular strengths and weaknesess. Their is no one method that is ideal for all the different carpet types.A certin method may be ideal for a certain carpet type and on the other hand may fail misserably on another carpet type.

Hope this will help you.

Last edited:

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
Well aware of that Mardie. Let me clue you in. IF given the choice, I would HWE (ie prevac, pretreat, scrub if needed, and extract) before I buffed a carpet. If I could not effectively HWE, then I would look at LM. IF that particular carpet shouldn't be cleaned with HWE for some reason, ie lots of tar on a poly carpet, then LM would be the better choice.

HWE requires the most training and the most equipment and is the most troublesome of all the methods but it is my first choice for "CLEAN" because I would never buff clean my clothes, they get washed. The physical "washing" of the carpet will remove more than what a towel can absorb.

You've chosen LM, that's great. You're like a friend of mine here who uses VS and Bonnet cleaning. When I find a job that would be better serviced with LM, I refer him. And when he encounters a job better serviced by HWE, he calls me.

As for making it a govt recognized trade. Not.

Mardie

Name
Mardie VanBree
Well aware of that Mardie. Let me clue you in. IF given the choice, I would HWE (ie prevac, pretreat, scrub if needed, and extract) before I buffed a carpet. If I could not effectively HWE, then I would look at LM. IF that particular carpet shouldn't be cleaned with HWE for some reason, ie lots of tar on a poly carpet, then LM would be the better choice.

HWE requires the most training and the most equipment and is the most troublesome of all the methods but it is my first choice for "CLEAN" because I would never buff clean my clothes, they get washed. The physical "washing" of the carpet will remove more than what a towel can absorb.

You've chosen LM, that's great. You're like a friend of mine here who uses VS and Bonnet cleaning. When I find a job that would be better serviced with LM, I refer him. And when he encounters a job better serviced by HWE, he calls me.

As for making it a govt recognized trade. Not.

I have never buff cleaned a carpet with a towel.I scrub clean every job using the largest cylindrical brush in the carpet cleaning industry and sometimes dual process using the cimex as my pretreat.
Agree on no government intervention.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom