Shower's / hard water deposits / sealer.....(Help)

DrUmM@sT3r

Name
Mark Medora
I have an issue with hard water deposits on showers. Where I live most people are on their own private water well, with a septic tank. Dane Gregory (my IICRC Stone teacher) and I have discussed this years back. He had me test the pH of our tap water, it's 5.5-5.7, really hard water. People have put water softeners in their pump houses to really no avail. My water is so hard that if I leave it on any sink pop-up, faucet, glass shower door - it will leave white mineral deposits all over it. I squeegee my glass shower doors and towel dry them after each use. I cannot wash my vehicles with this water or I spend hrs waxing to remove the minerals.
With that said, I have a lady who has marble in her shower, yes it's got white deposits all over the marble, I have tried to clean them off before, using Venom, brushing forever, and 1000psi with the SX-7 & max heat. Looked the same as when I started. So I basically quit doing showers. (Our water is a mother) So she wants to put a sealer over the marble, like a Dupont Stonetech Lacquer sealer, (painted on or a paint roller) - next problem is, that product is not sold in California, nor can it be shipped in. So I have to drive a round trip of 8 hrs just to purchase the sealer in Nevada (lovely California) - I have done this for her on her slate flooring (see attached pics - really makes the slate pop) but we weren't dealing with water deposits. My gut is telling me to walk away from job.....Any thoughts / Suggestions? (ty)

Attachments

• Slate sealer1.jpg
    Slate sealer1.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 207
  • slate sealer2.jpg
    slate sealer2.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 197
Name
cameron demille
First, Viper Venom is an alkaline from what I understand, and won't help with mineral deposits. Viper Renew would be an acidic cleaner that you would get results with, but potentially damaging the marble.

You're right, you don't want to do the topical in the shower, it would be a disaster.

I have a product called Stone Scrub that would work for hard water deposits. It cleans with abrasion instead of chemical reaction. It's safe for marble and glass.

You can buy it here: http://www.easystonecare.com/Stone-Scrub-Deep-Cleaner-and-Deposit-Remover-p/spss.htm

Do you have pictures of her shower?

Mikey P

Administrator
DO NOT apply any coating to her Marble.

A Stone Restoring Professional could grind all the build up off and re-polish it, IF he was desperate for work and was a glutton for punishment.

Suggest she yank it out and replace with one of these

TU%20603479%20R-WP6%20Front%20View%201%20_C.jpg

TT%20603074%20R%20Front%20View%201%20_C.jpg

SHRLB4%2060347%20Front%20View%201%20_C.jpg

P216.jpg

One-Piece-Shower-Stall-with-seat.jpg

Reactions: DrUmM@sT3r

DrUmM@sT3r

Name
Mark Medora
Thanks for the advice guys, I have tried using different products - one called "Amaze" but I'm not going down that road again. (Minimal results for excessive labor). I referred her to the stone installers in Carson City & explained they can polish the minerals away. Then she can ask about a high gloss sealer at that point. (Been down this road before - hard water is not my friend) lol - I have a customer who built a new home, has a deep water well with thousands spent on water softening equipment, he has a massive marble shower, and from the floor to about 3 feet up its all white with hard mineral deposits. (Looks rough)
Mother Nature = 1
Home owner = 0

DrUmM@sT3r

Name
Mark Medora
A good thing on this - she has 80 rental units, so after selling my RotoVac 360i & my Apex - she's going to call me on the carpet...

DrUmM@sT3r

Name
Mark Medora
DO NOT apply any coating to her Marble.

A Stone Restoring Professional could grind all the build up off and re-polish it, IF he was desperate for work and was a glutton for punishment.

Suggest she yank it out and replace with one of these

View attachment 16104

View attachment 16105

View attachment 16106

View attachment 16107

View attachment 16108
These are perfect for people in rural areas who have their own water wells. With my 2 showers, I squeegee the glass doors, towel dry the glass, chrome, & metal door trim and they look good.....(I completely agree with you) \m/

DrUmM@sT3r

Name
Mark Medora
Is she aware that the polishing is a very temporary fix?
Yea I've explained the hard well water to her, she wants to have it polished away, cleaned, and then a sealer that is a high gloss. The stone guys can go over that with her.....

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom