"So, what do you do for a living?"

DRScrivner

Here are my three standard answers:

I help my clients protect what is usually their 3rd most expensive investment in life, while helping to maintain a clean and healthy environment by providing Old Fashioned Service and Premium Quality Carpet Care Services.

I help my clients retain value, save money, and improve the health of their indoor environment, while extending their carpet life and appearance through preventative and restorative carpet care and cleaning services.

I help businesses maintain a clean and healthy, environmentally friendly environment, with little to no downtime, while preventing recurring stain problems by providing preventative and restorative carpet care and cleaning services.

nickreal

I usually say

"I go all over town getting women's fuzzy stuff wet, then I suck it dry, finally I blow it, just to be thorough. The women cant wait for me to come back. I'm booked out weeks in advance. What time do you usually go to work anyway?"

I get some weird looks too....

Scott

Bruce Humphrey said:
I do find that when I tell someone that I own my own business they will change the subject rather fast. Not sure why that is.

The reason why is because most people are not entrepreneurs and have no clue about what it takes to run a business, therefore it's an uncomfortable subject for them to cover. Most people who aren't entrepreneurs do indeed view small business owners as rouges who don't quite fit in with society.

Actually, I prefer it that way because it means less competition. If they only realized the freedom we have and the potential we have as entrepreneurs, I think we'd see even more carpet cleaners. :wink:

Scott

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
A cleaner I know was at a party that was mostly lawyers. As he tried to join conversation groups someone would always ask his specialty. When he said carpet cleaning they'd actually turn their backs to exclude him from their circle, until they found out he owned the V-12 Jag out front. Then they wanted to know how much money there was in carpet cleaning and he just had to admit that he made more money than they did while working far fewer hours.

I always say carpet cleaning company, and then start telling them about it as if it's the most interesting career choice anyone could make. If I had self esteem issues I guess I'd tell them I was in the restoration business. :wink:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom