So what do you guys say

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
My point is on this matter: Prescreen the customer's description of the carpet next time. While you're cleaning that carpet, brainstorm on what you could ask the customer. When they ask for a quote over the phone, give them an answer with at least 3 questions: Are there any pet or red stains? How old is the carpet? And when was the last time it was professionally cleaned?

If they answer all three of these questions, you can give them a pretty good range of prices. If they don't answer all three of these, then don't give a price. Schedule a time for you to meet them to look at it.

But I'm serious about sticking with your original price. If you do a killer job, be sure to list everything you did on the invoice at the ORIGINAL price you would've charged. Then cross that number out and put the number you agreed on. When they see the huge discount and the awesome clean carpet, you might have earned a loud cheerleader. It might bring you thousands more dollars

Reactions: Pioneer Floorcare

Onfire_02_01

Name
Jeremy Gray
when you get to a job that you quoted over the phone but when you get there it's a mess? The carpet is filthy, there is crap laying all over, it stinks from dog and cat pee, stains everywhere and the Realtor is on his way over to list the house. And she said they were half way moved out so the rooms are suppose to be near empty but the beds are leaning against the walls. Yes, nightmare job.
You tell the people the condition of the carpet/job is not what they told you over the phone. Based on the condition of the carpet/job the price is going to be $xxx.xx, if they are ok with the new price you can do the job. If not you can kindly refer them to the biggest hack company you know of and let them do the same when they arrive.

Mikey P

Administrator
Many people are just slobs.

They don't recognize that it's perceived as "wrong". Try lecturing a slob and they'll get hostile.

Had one today actually.
I did send them my GET YO SHIT OFF MY CARPET email, which they did but it still took me 2 HOURS to prep this hours before I was able to start up the extractor.
4 bed rms, steps and hall. Tossed white 15 year old Poly crap.. All three of my vacuums were needed. Loads of pre spotting. Wine, Pet, red drinks..

All the while the hubby was out front getting his house ready for the listing agent on Monday.

I've never seen a person so completely inept at using a paint brush. The idea of a tarp as totally foreign to him. Not only did he get white paint on my hoses..

but he literally just knock 20 or 30K off the value of his house by being such a slob...

Untitled.png

All that paint is not coming off easy. He got it ALL over the damn place and gooped it on so thick and randomly on the trim, I nearly bitch slapped him.

I kept my mouf shut.

He did give me a $55 tip though..

I did an amazing job.

Name
Noble Carpet Cleaners
Hang in the biz long enough and more then one Realtor will mislead like this. I get your frustration and emphasize with you 110%. The real issue stems from the agents mismanagement of this listing, and then passed on the last minute stupid sh.. on you. You'll learn to screen these more and more with just the right phone work. If not you'll have to make friends with not being in control of your real estate stops.

Name
Lee Stockwell
when you get to a job that you quoted over the phone but when you get there it's a mess? The carpet is filthy, there is crap laying all over, it stinks from dog and cat pee, stains everywhere and the Realtor is on his way over to list the house. And she said they were half way moved out so the rooms are suppose to be near empty but the beds are leaning against the walls. Yes, nightmare job.
Learn to say NOOO! With a big smile on your face.

Take pix and save the "best" one to pop up when that realtor calls in the future.

That may help with your next quote for them...Before you just blurt out a number.

Reactions: John Olson

KevinL

Supportive Member
Name
Kevin Leach
Why do you guys think the job was from the realtor? The lady of the house who was in the process of moving 150 miles away was there and halfway through the job the realtor shows up to see the house for the first time. And by the way it's in a very nice part of town and her husband is the president of a college near Chicago where they are moving to. Just lazy slobs.

SamIam

Name
sam miller

Sorry but it looks like your at a house then you mention Realtor, then She said they were half way moved out.

Sounds like your talking about the Realtor.

Qualify Qualify qualify.

Learning to speak clearly and communicate what you will, and won't do for your price. I don't include pet treatment.

The longest it's taken me to prep the largest of pig pens was an hour. Mostly 10-15 minutes everything's going on beds. And I make them move thier large furniture or let them know I'll have to reset the appointment.

You'll be surprised how much tough love does for a relationship.

I'm not Bekins.

I love it when they say I have this 1 room ready you can start here while I prep the other 4.

Exactly how long do you think 1 room is gonna take???

Last edited:

steve_64

Why do you guys think the job was from the realtor? The lady of the house who was in the process of moving 150 miles away was there and halfway through the job the realtor shows up to see the house for the first time. And by the way it's in a very nice part of town and her husband is the president of a college near Chicago where they are moving to. Just lazy slobs.
Haha because we dont pay attention and only hear what we want too. Yet we freely give advice. We are all experts ya know.

Reactions: KevinL and hogjowl

steve_64

Kevin I dont always get all the info I may need neither. Im not always at my desk waiting for the phone to ring so my mind may be on other things when I take call. I use to answer while driving lol.

Most people are understanding and if you approach the job professionally and be firm and be ready to walk you have taken control of the situation.

Reactions: KevinL

KevinL

Supportive Member
Name
Kevin Leach
Thanks everyone. Things I already know but it's been so long since it's happened I was just stunned when I walked in. I just can't believe people can live like that and not have a clue how to prepare for a carpet cleaning.

jcooper

Name
Jerry Cooper
I just can't believe people can live like that and not have a clue how to prepare for a carpet cleaning.

Lol, this person thought they were "ready"!
The other room had a huge rug with file cabinets(6 all full) on top of the carpet all around the room.... They wanted the carpet under the rug cleaned.

P1050451.JPG

Mikey P

Administrator
One more time

Dear [FIRST_NAME] [LAST_NAME],

We look forward to your upcoming appointment. We’ll need your assistance to make the areas you want cleaned as accessible as possible.

1. Please arrange for a parking spot as close to your front door or cleaning project as possible.

2. We will need to hook up to a water source, either a garden faucet or a utility sink with a threaded faucet within 150" feet of our truck. We do have adapters to work with bathroom or kitchen sinks if need be.

3. Remove all breakable items from the cleaning area and store in a safe area (lamps, collectibles, etc.)

4. Other than large furniture, please remove all items from the floor

(waste baskets, potted plants, brief cases, toys, etc.). If you are physically unable to move things yourself and cannot arrange for help, we will be more than happy to assist. Please pin up or tuck in bed spreads and dust ruffles. Drapes can either be hung up on the end of the rod, gently draped over each other or the ends placed in a plastic garbage bag. Extremely large or heavy items will remain in place (i.e. entertainment units, china cabinets, pianos). We will clean up to the outside edges.
Medium-sized furniture (i.e. tables, coffee tables, end tables, wing chairs, recliners, sofas) can be moved, the area cleaned, and returned to their location. We will place protective padding under furnishings with wood or metal feet to protect the carpet and the furniture. Some furniture is best left off the carpet until completely dried. We will discuss options during your appointment

5. Have a safe place for your pets to stay,

Your front door or other access point will need to be left open during the cleaning process and we would hate it if Skippy or Shadow escaped.

6. Tell us your every concern.

Please point out spots and spills and tell us what they are.

7.We will pre vacuum your carpet prior to cleaning but if you would like to knock dust and cob webs off base boards, ceiling fans and from the back of furniture we recommend doing so prior to our arrival.

8. If we are cleaning your upholstered furniture:

Please have the pieces easily accessible from all sides and away from any breakable objects or delicate floorings. We can clean your sofas or chairs over the carpet/rugs being cleaned that day or if possible we can clean them outside or in your garage. The pieces set can be on tarps as a last resort. Loose cushions will be "A" framed on provided plastic sheeting, preferably outside for quick drying. In most cases furniture should not be reassembled the same day, rather when completely dry the following day.

and finally;

9. If you have requested a Teflon Protector to be applied to your carpet or furniture after cleaning (recommended!) please plan on treading as lightly as possible for the next 12 hours as the sealant needs time to cure.

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
One more time

We look forward to your upcoming appointment. We’ll need your assistance to make the areas you want cleaned as accessible as possible.

1. Please arrange for a parking spot as close to your front door or cleaning project as possible.

2. We will need to hook up to a water source, either a garden faucet or a utility sink with a threaded faucet within 150" feet of our truck. We do have adapters to work with bathroom or kitchen sinks if need be.

3. Remove all breakable items from the cleaning area and store in a safe area (lamps, collectibles, etc.)

4. Other than large furniture, please remove all items from the floor

(waste baskets, potted plants, brief cases, toys, etc.). If you are physically unable to move things yourself and cannot arrange for help, we will be more than happy to assist. Please pin up or tuck in bed spreads and dust ruffles. Drapes can either be hung up on the end of the rod, gently draped over each other or the ends placed in a plastic garbage bag. Extremely large or heavy items will remain in place (i.e. entertainment units, china cabinets, pianos). We will clean up to the outside edges.
Medium-sized furniture (i.e. tables, coffee tables, end tables, wing chairs, recliners, sofas) can be moved, the area cleaned, and returned to their location. We will place protective padding under furnishings with wood or metal feet to protect the carpet and the furniture. Some furniture is best left off the carpet until completely dried. We will discuss options during your appointment

5. Have a safe place for your pets to stay,

Your front door or other access point will need to be left open during the cleaning process and we would hate it if Skippy or Shadow escaped.

6. Tell us your every concern.

Please point out spots and spills and tell us what they are.

7.We will pre vacuum your carpet prior to cleaning but if you would like to knock dust and cob webs off base boards, ceiling fans and from the back of furniture we recommend doing so prior to our arrival.

8. If we are cleaning your upholstered furniture:

Please have the pieces easily accessible from all sides and away from any breakable objects or delicate floorings. We can clean your sofas or chairs over the carpet/rugs being cleaned that day or if possible we can clean them outside or in your garage. The pieces set can be on tarps as a last resort. Loose cushions will be "A" framed on provided plastic sheeting, preferably outside for quick drying. In most cases furniture should not be reassembled the same day, rather when completely dry the following day.

and finally;

9. If you have requested a Teflon Protector to be applied to your carpet or furniture after cleaning (recommended!) please plan on treading as lightly as possible for the next 12 hours as the sealant needs time to cure.
Should be on all of our websites. I'll see if I can remember to put it on mine

Reactions: Kellie Hiler

KevinL

Supportive Member
Name
Kevin Leach
Thanks for reposting this Mike. I've been trying to get my office manager to load this into the computer for the last 2 years with changes to fit our process but he just couldn't get it done. So I fired him and got a woman that will finally do it. By the way, can this be put into service monster and email from there?

Reactions: Lee Stockwell

Mikey P

Administrator
absolutely.

just create a new email templet.

Make sure to use:

as it will auto fill correctly...

Ask for Pinky over there if you need help.

Reactions: jkowalski

Brian H

Name
Brian H

Kevin,

What do you say when the job will be much easier than you expected? Pristine carpet, not a spot or stain anywhere. No pets, homeowner vacuums every day, no shoes allowed in the home....

What you say in your scenario is, you win some you lose some! Sorry to say but it's part of the job.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom