Some don't understand how gas prices affect our clients

DevilDog

This is a post from Dave Rampage on ICS:

Re: Oil
Posted By Dave Rampage on 10/19/2007 at 5:04 PM

Today my sales were $1,280.25 and I used 13.52 gallons@ 3.35/gallon. That was $45.42 which is 3.5%of sales.

If it was $6.00/gallon today, It would have cost me $81.12. That would be 6.3%of sales. At the higher price it would have cost me 35.70 more.

I could raise my price .01/sf to offset the price and nobody would care. If the cost of oil goes up so does the cost of new carpet because it is made from oil. If it costs more to replace more people are likely to clean instead of replace.

Don't worry.

Dave

Now don't get me wrong. I have a lot of respect for Dave and what he has accomplished. But he COMPLETELY misses the point. When gas prices are high it affects people in many areas. It is not how much MORE it cost us to clean a carpet. It is what our clients are spending on every day things that add up...and therefore cause them to NOT clean as often.

We have all heard that when the economy is slow instead of replacing people just clean more. NOT true. They don't replace and they CLEAN LESS.

So oil prices and the economy are a big concern to people. Not only that but the lousy housing market.

I am not a sky is falling person...but many of us will feel the crunch if gas prices continue to go up again. Our clients only have so much to spend, even the well to do clients.

DevilDog

Rambo

I agree Todd with the residential side not replacing or cleaning as often, but the commercial side of the business tends to clean it to extend the life of it when the economy is slow, At least that has been my experience.

Becker

Name
Becker
A good number of my clients drive brand new full sized SUVs.. What does that mean?

Today alone.. 1st had a 07 Tahoe. 2nd had a brand new Expedition EL.

Ok, Not to completely disagree with you Todd. Gas prices mean a lot to our economy! Gas goes up everything goes up.. All that means in less money to spend.

One thing I have seen slide is vacant home cleaning.
Sucks ass, I love cleaning empties.. But shit is not moving, people are not buying.

Sales are still way above target, and weekly sales goals are being reached.

So for now all is good.

G

Who's your clientele?

A fair share of the folks we've done work for could tolerate an extra couple hundred dollars a month in gas without flinching. It's an annoyance, but in the big picture, what makes gas so special?

If your think gas is expensive, what about prescription drugs? Ever buy homeowners and flood insurance in Florida? How about real estate taxes? I thought we had it bad paying about 2% for our place till my neighbor said his sister in the Bronx was paying $4K more than us for a smaller house. My parents electric bill has been in the process of doubling ever since the power company was acquired by someone other entity. How about putting a son or daughter through college? The other week Publix was selling apples for $1.00 a piece. $10 for ten apples? Orange juice is $5.00 a gallon for the cheap stuff......in Florida!

Who pays $50, $60, $70 a month.......or more.......for cable TV? $300 so the kids can play the latest video game console? Who's going on a cruise for vacation? Stop at Starbucks this morning on the way to your first job? Heading out to Outback tonight for some steak and ribs?

For some folks, yes, it's a big deal. For a lot of people, it's just one more thing. If you can park $30K and $40K automobiles in the driveway and insure them, and lots of people do, you can afford gas in the tank.

Not trying to marginalize the impact gas prices have on some people. And, some areas of the country are hurting more than others. I'm just reading between the excesses. While gas is going up, so are the number of satellite dishes.

If you see it as a problem running your business, it probably is. Just MHO, it doesn't have to be. Lot's of people value clean stuff, don't like gas prices anymore than we do, and will be calling someone sometime soon to clean their carpets......also a petroleum product.

DevilDog

My course of action if I only get down to a couple of jobs a week!?

Celebrate, celebrate, have a good time.

I could ONLY dream. LOL.

It matters more than you think.

Many of my clients are VERY high end, when they OPENLY admit to me that gas prices and THEIR investments have a direct reflection on how they spend money....I pay attention.

DevilDog

G

As long as the power light on the cable box is still glowing there's a good chance the folks who truly value clean stuff will still be calling.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom