Spotty carpet

claybalz

Name
Clayton
Hey guys I know I haven't been on in a while but I feel like I was reading too much off the Internet and it was messing with me actually getting out there doing the work... so at this point I have cleaned about 10 carpets and things been going great. Until today my second customer called me today and complained about their carpet looking spotty all over it whatever I done? I'm really hoping all of them don't turn out that way!! It was a tan color and wasn't shaggy! I already told them I would come back free of charge! But really have no idea what caused it

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
Always ask them before you clean if they used any spotters. That way you have an out and can blame them for the spots. : )

claybalz

Name
Clayton
I didn't do any spot cleaning! It was a pretty nice house newer carpets... wish I had a picture but they won't be around untel next week! They say it's just much brighter In some spots than the others I'm hoping the pre spray didn't bleach it or something? I always use what it calls for i don't get crazy cause ya know I'm new lol i'm not sure exactly what it's called but I didn't go cheep

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Might as well hear the bad news. Peroxide based fade creames, foot creames and acne medicine can be a landmine just waiting for moisture.

Some pesticides also as well many household spotter can do the same.

Be sure to ask if they used any spotters. If it looks bleached, look at the product they used.

Doug Rice

Supportive Member
Pet stains? I know their dog never potties in the house. Do you have a urine light? Home Depot or Lowes used to sell a low priced one but it worked OK in the dark. If you can find or borrow one try to go back late in the evening and look at the spots to see if they glow.

Reactions: Desk Jockey

Doug Rice

Supportive Member
Might as well hear the bad news. Peroxide based fade creames, foot creames and acne medicine can be a landmine just waiting for moisture.

Some pesticides also as well many household spotter can do the same.

Be sure to ask if they used any spotters. If it looks bleached, look at the product they used.
Don't ask if they used a spotter, ask them what BRAND of spotter they used. They usually start talking about then and they will probably go get it to show you.

claybalz

Name
Clayton
Ok well let's hope so! So you guys would say there is a good chance this is them and not me? In the future I will for sure be asking more ahead of time!

Bob Pruitt

Name
Robert Pruitt
Hey guys I know I haven't been on in a while but I feel like I was reading too much off the Internet and it was messing with me actually getting out there doing the work...
So... do you still feel you were reading too much stuff? Hopefully this is something simple to fix/re-clean. If you are using a portable, was there foam issues...anything leaking ? Stick around and keep learning...it’s what I do.

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Assuming that it is not your fault (an assumption nonetheless, as you did not describe what you used and how).

As Richard said, every carpet is a potential landmine of problems. Some may become visible only after cleaning. That is why it is important to:
  1. Do a thorough inspection before cleaning, noting pre-existing conditions.
  2. Have a friendly conversation before you start, to find out what they are using and potential issues, before they happen.
  3. Have a disclaimer that releases you from liability for things that are not within your control. Like use of peroxide products, Folex, Resolve) or anything that lurks in the carpet and is not visible prior to cleaning. And have them sign it.

SamIam

Name
sam miller
I didn't do any spot cleaning! It was a pretty nice house newer carpets... wish I had a picture but they won't be around untel next week! They say it's just much brighter In some spots than the others I'm hoping the pre spray didn't bleach it or something? I always use what it calls for i don't get crazy cause ya know I'm new lol i'm not sure exactly what it's called but I didn't go cheep

I had a customer say they think I bleached the carpet once, it was wand marks and the lay of the carpet.

Reactions: Steve Lawrence

SamIam

Name
sam miller
What do you use????

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni

If you want us to help you, you have to give better info.
I understand you haven't looked at the carpet yet to take pics

But you can't walk out to the car to read the label name on the pre-spray???

everyone is pi55ing in the wind at this point.

It could be as simple as pile direction/shading or even shadows.
Could be some areas are dry and others not
Could be poor technique (either wanding or pre-spray application and/or agitation)
and some areas are simply cleaner than others
(you/we don't know yet if "lighter" places are pea sized, softball sized or areas of square foot size)
could be latent problems (something she used) that didn't show til moisture was added

it might be all your fault and you're on the hook to correct
It might be nothing you did wrong
or anything/everything in between

but you gotta "help us help you" by being as specific as possible .
The things you do know (or can easily find out) like what chems you're using and technique are details needed to help

..L.T.A.

steve_64

I can read between the lines. Fred is right, its your fault. your prespray was inconsistent and the areas you treated heavier like overlapping or just going slower cleaned and brightened better than the areas with less prespray.

If you can use a scrubber on every job for consitancy I'd do that until you learn to wand better. My guess is the areas you didn't treat better wicked up some soil because you didn't flush it well enough and the prespray lightened other areas.

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
I would not worry until you see it. Could be too many different things.

Most of the veterans here have gotten calls describing horrors that when seen had no relationship to what was imagined.

It could be as simple as a shadows from items in the room to wicking to bleaching from latent intruders to drug induced hallucinations.

Take some pics, and we'll all pitch in to help

SamIam

Name
sam miller
Most of the veterans here have gotten calls describing horrors that when seen had no relationship to what was imagined.

It could be as simple as a shadows from items in the room to wicking to bleaching from latent intruders to drug induced hallucinations.

Take some pics, and we'll all pitch in to help
Word I cleaned for a dude and his couch cast a shadow! He’s like are you going to clean that spot?
I moved the couch and the spot moved to!

Hahahahaha

Reactions: steve_64

Kenny Hayes

Name
Kenny Hayes
More than anything, I hope you’re NOT trying to clean or operate without
general liability insurance in the event it is your fault. Don’t “practice”
without it!! #peaceofmind

Reactions: Old Coastie

Old Coastie

Supportive Member
Name
Stephen
Kenny, I am glad you posted that, because it is one thing that could stand between a businessman and ruin. I carry a million dollars per incident/2 million total, no deductible policy. New customers sometimes ask and it seems to reassure them that should we accidentally burn their house down, I’ll buy them another.

Reactions: Kenny Hayes
Back
Top Bottom