Sq ft or Room Rate?

Travis Sonderegger

Supportive Member
Name
Travis Sonderegger
I would like to make more, but I dont think there is that kind of a market for it around here. I dont think I will get much business in each of those two towns. Jobs that are out of town I will find out how soon they need it done and if it is within the next couple of weeks I will tag on extra when I do the job as a short notice kind of things, and I will let them know it will cost X extra to have it rushed. Otherwise, I tell them I will add them to the list, then I can go do several jobs while I am over there making the trip more worth it. Make sense?

Reactions: Desk Jockey

PrimaDonna

Megatron
Name
MB
I dont think I will get much business in each of those two towns

Then why even bother building them into your plan now or marketing to them at this point? Unless your current market is that small that you HAVE to market an hour away. It just doesn't make sense to be doing that now.

I'd stay local and concentrate there, then as you build, expand out your territory radius.

The idea of grouping jobs in the outer areas is great if you can get it to work out. We do our best to try to schedule in the same area on a particular day and sometimes even offer a discount if we can get multiple jobs in the same sub-division or if I have an opening on a particular day, I'll throw up a Facebook special or flash sale if someone in a certain area will take a specific appointment time.

Good luck, you're on the right path and thinking about the right things.

Travis Sonderegger

Supportive Member
Name
Travis Sonderegger
I have done a little advertising with facebook and previously have not advertised outside of monticello or blanding. I advertised as Monticello and surrounding areas. But I put an ad in the paper that will get around to San Juan County and I'm sure into Moab and Cortez a little, but I will still be pretty low on the radar, which is good at this point. It will give me a chance to see how things go and what people think before anyone really hears much about me. Then when I get the kinks worked out and depending upon how busy I stay (I have a full time job and family) I can advertise more in each of the other cities. But as far as right now I am not doing any specific advertising in cortez or moab, it just might leak into those towns a little depending upon who gets the paper. I also have done some things on facebook like that and sometimes I get takers, sometimes I dont. I try not to flood the groups (Both blanding and monticello have their own little advertising groups) because people know who I am and that I do carpet. So if someone ever asks on there who cleans carpet my name usually comes up pretty quick. I will do a little special from time to time and give a discount or something or a limited time thing (Saying if you book tonight by 10pm for a cleaning in the morning you can get x off your bill, stuff like that). I usually only do that to try and fill in a day in between appointments or something that I couldnt schedule closer to each other. Thanks for all of the input!

Name
Lee Stockwell
Then why even bother building them into your plan now or marketing to them at this point? Unless your current market is that small that you HAVE to market an hour away. It just doesn't make sense to be doing that now.

I'd stay local and concentrate there, then as you build, expand out your territory radius.

We've all been guilty of that. In my first ten years I chased several chains, doing 15 Fred's department stores up to 100 miles away, Wendy's and Pizza Huts likewise up to 100 miles out.

Meanwhile back in Murray I was MIA much of the time. As it turned out I lived in a gold mine, while driving 100's of miles to work harder in coal mines.

We typically waited 40+ days for that work as well.

Name
Lee Stockwell
I need to learn to insert paragraphs and some spacing :) I will work on that :)
You can edit your post Travis, just click on the little icon at the bottom left of your post with a square and pencil graphic.

Place the cursor where you'd like to break a paragraph and hit your Enter key twice. Makes it much easier to read, and actually helps you sort out your thoughts while posting.

jcooper

Name
Jerry Cooper
Travis,

At this point, take the work anyway you can get it.

When we started, I made the mistake of going after as many towns as I could. The phone wouldn't ring, oh noooo, add more towns for my ads. In hindsight, pretty easy to see, you should dominate your own town/area before worrying about others.

Plus, he's paying his dues...
As Lee said... It's supposed to be hard, if you can stick it out for LONG enough AND do good work, not creepy, dont say stupid shat, great personality, plan ahead, etc. you will be okay.

After about 6 years things pretty much took off and we don't really need to do much to stay busy. I spend maybe 1-200$ a month on internet ads that don't work as well as just being around(in biz) a while. Sooner or later enough people will know your biz.

One last thing..... Get a tm as soon as possible!

Goomer

Name
Frank Mendo
residential by the room, commercial by sq.ft.

price starts at $60 first room $30 for each additional room, i consider one room about 150 sq. ft. so a family room dining room combo is typically two rooms or more. that price can vary depending on issues such as stain or odor removal. moving furniture is extra unless its just a matter of pulling out a couch to clean behind or something like that. would you like me to come by and give you an exact price at no charge?

thats pretty much my phone spiel.

That's very similar to my basic opening dialogue, other than a difference in my room 1 price, and my additional room prices.

I like the convenience of how a higher room 1 price automatically establishes your minimum charge, and I believe it is simple enough for most customers to easily comprehend, especial the womins.

The overwhelming majority of my female customers have no clue as to their accurate room dimensions, none the less how to convert the dimensions to a total square footage and then a estimated total price, therefore I believe it rarely results in a generally positive experience for them, and does not give them the satisfying, effortless answers they are seeking.

In regards to setting your prices based on what your competitors charge, although I agree that it is not a great idea as a whole, but do find it very important to always know your competitors price points, and this includes your premium competitors as well as your local CraigsList hacks.
This info can be used to establish a crude price "range" that may be used as reference in adjusting your prices based on your position at the moment, and give you insight as to what the "other guy" that she called right before you, might have quoted her.

Plus, he's paying his dues...

This is important.

There is a big EXPERIENCE value with every new job, not only a monetary one, so don't price yourself out of too many opportunities in the beginning.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom