Stair Wands?

timnelson

Anybody using a stair wand that they are really happy with? Need some feedback, esp. features to look for.

Thanks.

Shane T

Name
Shane Tiegs
I mostly use my 2X14 floor wand to do steps and then go back and detail them with a small vacuum tool. I also have the PMF swivel head stair tool and use it when the stairway is too tight. It works well but it is very noisy with all that air going thru it. If the customer is around I feel like I have to apologize for the noise.

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
I'm using an old stair wand that came with my truck when I bought it in 96 (its a used truck from 88). I think its like the basic ones from hydramaster. about 8" wide, 2 jet, the head is almost 90 degrees to the 1 1/2"tube, about 3' long. It helps to keep my back straight when doing stairs so I'm not hunched over. I had a shield welded on the back of it to reduce the back mist.
Its nice for getting under low items without moving them. Comes in handy for the couple of restaurants that I clean that have wall mounted tables; hard to get the floor wand all the way under.
Sure beats cleaning stairs with a hand tool or worse, a floor wand.

MicahR

Name
Micah Richardson
Prochem Upholstery Tool

Ya I hear it all the time. "Man it must take you forever to clean steps."

Not really. I like it because your down close and can see and detail well. Really doesn't take me any longer than someone using a stair tool.

Greenie

Ron sounds like you have an old PMF.

Is this it?

PMF40.gif

MY favorite all around stair tool was the old HydraMaster UT-40, but the one above is a good second, just needs some additional insulation on the tube.

Here is an old UT-40 if you stumble on one....and yes we make a glide for it.

ut40.gif

Johnny

Supportive Member
Name
Johnny
Greenie, that Hydramaster looks like one I bought from an old cc bud, but mine has only one jet. It's a solid old chunk of iron. Was used on an old Hydramaster CDS. Replaced the 8006 with an 8003, but pattern is a little wide. Hits the side shields and drips. Need to try a 7503 or 7003 if I can find one.

The longer length is easy on my back but I was going to cut it down a couple inches to make it more manouverable. But I'm getting used to it and the length is handy for detail work where a wand won't fit.

Johnnyone

The picture is the one I have and the one Ron is talking about

Its long, has 2 jets, almost a 90 degree, also has 2 Little holes at the

edge to let some air in. I do believe it is a old PMF.

Put 2 02 jets wide spray lots of water dirt recovery. I like it

because you don't have to bend over to clean the stairs.

I think they still make it.

KBRENNY

When I got my new wand I had a section of my old 1 1/2" tube, 11 inch head wand cut out and re welded to make a stair tool. I got to pick the length and have been pretty happy with it.

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
Yes Jeff, that looks like it, though mine is so old it has the old cylindrical valve on it.
The only challenge I have with it is going around the corners on stairs, its just a wee bit long.

Greg Loe

I took and old 2 get wand to the local welding shop and had it cut down and welded back together. 2 jets, good weight and good length.

Mikey P

Administrator
Greenie lent me his HM stair tool while my Tech was learning to deal with the TI wand on steps.

Now that he has it down pat I will be taking offers on the HM.

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
And why on earth would you need a glide on a stair tool?

Are you that weak that you can't push or pull it without one?

Good grief!

TimP

DOLOMITE said:

Good grief!

I'm not that weak I choose to not work as hard.

My motto is. "Work smarter not harder."

Name
Eric Valentine
It is not a matter of being able to push/pull the stair tool, oh master of the cobs. The reason for the glide, as I see it, is to allow for better extraction of the water, lowering the dry time significantly. The glide also makes it easier to clean the bullnose.

B&BGaryC

Name
B&BGaryC
Single Jet, Single Bend, Swivel head, no glide. (Without the glide you can get the filtration soil at the edge that would be a pain with the glide on it.) Sure, they stairs take longer to dry, but I honestly have had no problems with stairs even when they take 18 hour to dry.

vincent

Name
Vincent Sapp
Only hacks clean stairs with a floor tool. A stair tool is just that, a tool meant to clean stairs. I prefer the swivel head tool.

There's no way in hell one can efficiently clean a stair using a floor tool, that means getting the bullnose clean also.

V

vegijohn

DOLOMITE said:

Good grief!

NO I'm not weak. The glide is to reduce the noise level. You see I have a real TM-- a Vortex. You don't know clean until you've seen Vortex Clean.
Like you, I use to clean w/ a bonnet, then I learned how to clean carpet.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom