Steam cleaning tile grout

G.C.S

Name
Stephanie Barber
Would you recommend steam cleaning grout? I've read different reviews and just wondering what some of you in the floor care industry think of this method.

hogjowl

Idiot™
Depends on what you mean by "steam cleaning"? Do you mean hot water extraction, or true steam cleaning like Ray is talking about?

That method seems super slow and painstaking.

Reactions: Mikey P
Name
Marcus
Truckmount stem clean...more water the better...also need fuel heat...
Should have between 1-2 gallons per minute water flow....

Easy to add fuel heat.......to any truckmount...
Cap

GeneMiller

Name
gene miller
Truckmount stem clean...more water the better...also need fuel heat...
Should have between 1-2 gallons per minute water flow....

Easy to add fuel heat.......to any truckmount...
Cap
I turn the heat to very low for tile. To much heat can damage it. I've got to be pushing 3 gallons on my 870 and on low heat it stays at 195. You can't touch the return tube after a couple of minutes it's to hot. I completely turn it off now and it's around 170. Plenty hot for tile.

Gene

Name
Marcus
Agree 170 degree is plenty....but need plenty of water flow....
I believe the spinners only have 01. Or 02 Jets.
This will limit water flow to under 1 gallon per minute no mater how much pressure you have.
Not enough IMO to clean grout properly.

Name
cameron demille
steam cleaning tile and grout is retarded. Not in a joking way saying it's dumb, but literally retarded. I don't see the point. A good cleaner and mechanical agitation with extraction is the best way IMO.

Ray Burnfield

Supportive Member
Name
Ray Burnfield
steam cleaning tile and grout is retarded. Not in a joking way saying it's dumb, but literally retarded. I don't see the point. A good cleaner and mechanical agitation with extraction is the best way IMO.
Correct
Good cleaner, agitation and super hot water (steam) works wonders

Name
Marcus
The pain on tile and grout cleaning is agitation...
I am looking to get a cylindrical scrubber for grout...looking at a few on steambrite???
Iv got the truckmount kero heat and wand just the agitation is really agitating on the body with a grout brush..
Total workout .....

hogjowl

Idiot™
I've got a cylindrical scrubber. I also have a 175 with a good brush. Both work well for scrubbing tile.

They hardly ever come off the truck.

Old Coastie

Supportive Member
Name
Stephen
The Nacecare DP420 is a fine machine and covers a lot of ground efficiently.

However, I disagree that vapor steam cleaning is a waste of time, especially in a residential setting. I use 400F vapor to do grout lines and believe me, it works. Since the pressure is relatively low, there is no impact damage to grout. Since the water flow is negligible, there is almost no injection under the tile and since the temperature is ridiculous, the grout is flushed deeply into the porous matrix.

Slops recovery is complete with a squeegee/steam head. Edging is easy with a steam vacuum crevice tool attached.

Perfection is not promised and seldom attained. Production can be limited, but it is of superb quality. The floor is about as close to clean as can be done and some people will pay for that.

I like people who pay for that..

Reactions: Lee Stockwell
Name
cameron demille
The Nacecare DP420 is a fine machine and covers a lot of ground efficiently.

However, I disagree that vapor steam cleaning is a waste of time, especially in a residential setting. I use 400F vapor to do grout lines and believe me, it works. Since the pressure is relatively low, there is no impact damage to grout. Since the water flow is negligible, there is almost no injection under the tile and since the temperature is ridiculous, the grout is flushed deeply into the porous matrix.

Slops recovery is complete with a squeegee/steam head. Edging is easy with a steam vacuum crevice tool attached.

Perfection is not promised and seldom attained. Production can be limited, but it is of superb quality. The floor is about as close to clean as can be done and some people will pay for that.

I like people who pay for that..

Most people don't know what an actual steam cleaner is. What you're describing works fairly well, but I generally tell people not to "steam" clean, otherwise they go out and buy a Shark mop or some other gimmicky stuff that only generates vapors or steam but doesn't actually clean with it. Actual scalding hot steam works well, but the machines aren't cheap.

From my limited experience with good quality, high temp steam cleaners, the results were really good, but it was a little slow compared to good chemicals and mechanical abrasions. It depends on the surface.

Reactions: Old Coastie

clean image

Name
Carl Maddock

OK clarify this statement for me

As I see it. Turbo Hybrid= is steam cleaning= the most effective clean/ rinse available today for professionals.

My daughters b day yesterday, otherwise i would have joined in....Mikey, is there going to be a you tube video?

Name
cameron demille
OK clarify this statement for me

As I see it. Turbo Hybrid= is steam cleaning= the most effective clean/ rinse available today for professionals.

My daughters b day yesterday, otherwise i would have joined in....Mikey, is there going to be a you tube video?

I don't really consider a turbo hybrid steam cleaning. Even though in generates steam, it's shooting high pressure water.

This is what I am talking about:

Old Coastie

Supportive Member
Name
Stephen
It is slow, but for many cases, very effective. For example, the chipped edge tiles, or recessed grout lines, or confined areas like small bathrooms, kitchens and so on.

The same equipment is amazing in shower stalls.

Large, open areas go faster with a good detergent and a counter rotating brush. I don't like the 175 as much because the bristles seem to cross over the grout rather than fall into it.

ymmv

Back
Top Bottom