T&G Sealer.....

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
So there is a place that wants me to do their T&G....they had the guy who works for them P/T do it (he cleans carpets to, but is struggling) but he did a poor job...

the question is...they have now moved the gondolas around, and i can tell he put a sealer of some sort on (because you can see the line where the shelves were)....but it doesnt look like a VCT type finish because it isnt flaking, and its fairly thin...

so on another job they want a sealer of some sort put on because its a WAY POROUS tile, and gets dirty way to easy....

soooo what do you think he put on???

or what can be put on...

I had always thought nothing would stick to T&G ...seems i am wrong :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

hogjowl

Idiot™
When I use a water based sealer, I have never been able to "see" the sealer once it dried. So, I suspect it may be a solvent sealer, although I don't know that I have ever noticed a change in the grouts appearance from using a solvent, now that I think about it. I'd go with a solvent sealer, like Cobb's, if I were you.

Unless some of those really high priced sealers that you gawd awfully high priced California cleaners use will do the trick.

boazcan

Name
Bryan C
obviously some type of topical went on. He probably put a light coat on - something from walmart or home depot for sure. It shouldn't be too hard to strip if it is a thin coat.

I recommend them to have professionally cleaned (quarterly?) on a routine basis and let their 'do' boy play with it in between. You could use a penetrating sealer on a test area in a high traffic area to see what effect it has on keeping it cleaner. If a high traffic area and it is not maintained properly, sealing won't do much. Tell him to save the money and you clean it more often.

He wants an easy fix to a 'not so easy' problem. :roll:

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
Doug;

A solvent-based fluorochemical "Impregnator" will give you the best protection . . .

and eliminate any milky coating on low corners of the tile.

No sheen, since it is a penetrating sealer.

Larry

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
even on the tiles Larry??

i always thought the tiles didnt "allow" penetration....or adhesion for that matter....

I should have taken a pic...

alazo1

Name
Albert Lazo
It isn't really penetrating yet just sitting on top. Sooner or later it will look like crap, start flaking and blotchy. Sounds like it's adding a sheen to it as well, I'd tell them that they won't get that sheen.

Albert

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom