Teflon tape or goop..?

Mikey P

Administrator
I've never had much luck with the pastes or goop thread sealants.

I just found 4 leaks under my home sinks actually where paste was used..

What's your preference?

Todd Millar

Name
Carpet Solutions
Is this on a supply line? If so I have always used thread tape. Worked for a plumber when I was younger and that is how he did all his supply lines with no leaks.
If it is a drain we never put any thing on those just snugged them up nice and tight. They are not under pressure so no need for thread tape.

Todd Millar

Name
Carpet Solutions
I would use thread tape on the fittings. If the nuts are plastic make sure not to over tighten because they will crack.

dgardner

Name
Dan Gardner
Yup. I know several pipefitters that use tape then apply a little dope over that. This is on npt (pipe) fittings.

Reactions: Mark Saiger

Kellie Hiler

Name
Kellie Hiler
Definitely thread tape, but you can't go wrong with the ambidextrous brand. Pretty sure Home Depot carries it.

jwfoulk12

Name
Justin Foulk
I always used tape until I was installing my little giant. I bet I redid the fittings 3 times with tape and it leaked every time when I cranked up the pressure. Finally I went to the hardware store and they gave me some goop. I've never had the goop leak but it's definitely a lot messier then the tape.

GeneMiller

Name
gene miller
I use a green paste called gasoila thread paste. Messy but seals anything. I bought it to use on a diesel fitting but use it on everything now.

Name
Nate W.
I use a green paste called gasoila thread paste. Messy but seals anything. I bought it to use on a diesel fitting but use it on everything now.

I believe my automotive friend used that on a gas line to a fuel rail... Good stuff, but having to wait 24hrs to setup and dry sucks...

GeneMiller

Name
gene miller
I waited on the fuel fitting but not on anything else. I used it on a air fitting that always leaked and it fixed it. I charged it right away and it never leaked again.

Reactions: JS41035

John Olson

Name
John Olson
Hate the goo crap. We just tape it and go. If it leaks with tape you didn't wrap it enough or didn't tighten it or you over tightened it and cracked it.

Reactions: Mikey P

Doug Rice

Supportive Member
I was told by the guy at the pressure washer / car wash supply guy that they make a special tape for SS fittings. You can use standard thread tape but just make a few more wraps. I use thew standard tape for brass and SS fittings.

Name
Lee Stockwell
Pink is better than white, heavier.

Yellow tape specific for gas connection.

Non-solvent anaerobic paste is the very best.

GeneMiller

Name
gene miller
I hate the paste also but I needed it for the diesel fitting. Since I have it I've been using it for almost everything. Works great but will go back to Teflon tape when it's gone.

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
We have been using a UV activated adhesive.

Resists heat and solvents very well. Goes on in a liquid state and cured by excellent UV light .

Some stone guys use it profitably for chips on counters and floors.

Johnny

Supportive Member
Name
Johnny
Interest
We have been using a UV activated adhesive.

Resists heat and solvents very well. Goes on in a liquid state and cured by excellent UV light .

Some stone guys use it profitably for chips on counters and floors.

Interesting. Can you identify the product?

Back
Top Bottom