Templates for cutting

Charlie Lyman

Supportive Member
Name
Charlie Lyman
For those of you who use a template and cut from the back of the carpet, do you need to be concerned with cutting along rows? If so, how do you know where the rows are from the back of the carpet. I have the hardest time cutting my donor pieces the right size and I am considering making a template.

sweendogg

Name
David Sweeney
That all depends on the style of carpet. Alot of cutpiles, friezes and shags will not present any noticble diference when cut from the back vs. the front and alot of times a thicker frieze will cut better with a straight edge from the back or in your case a template. However most berbers or loop pile carpets will require front cutting to stay between the rows. Hope this helps a little. If you can, make your template out of aluminium or a material that will not easily cut with a rasor blade. It will last you a little longer that way.

Stevea

Hi Charles,

Great question. A template can be of help, particularly in a very large or very small replacement. I am sure it is a personal decision. If you need help with one PM me and I will try to helps with that.

As to cutting between rows, that is always helpful but may not always be practical depending upon measurements. But, if you want to find the row on the back side, simply be sure you are going the same direction of manufacturing and press down with a dull awl or similar and it will make a very nice indentation to follow. This will help you follow a row at least on two sides of your replacement piece.

One place a template works very well is in commercial glue down tight loop carpet, or even if it is stretch in carpet, a template can easily make an excellent repair with this type of carpet. IMO

Hope this helps a little about cutting between rows from the back side. Also, always be sure you do not cut too deep in general from the back, only cut through the secondary and primary and do not bevel the edge of the tufts by cutting too deep or press too hard.

SA

Shane T

Name
Shane Tiegs
Steve, I'm looking forward to seeing you in Milwaukee next week. Wish it was for more the just a half day class.

Stevea

Shane, I will look forward to meeting you. We will try to make the best of a 1/2 day. Maybe we can get them to put on a full class.

See you next week.

SA

Jack May

That Kiwi
Name
John
SA said:
Hi Charles,

But, if you want to find the row on the back side, simply be sure you are going the same direction of manufacturing and press down with a dull awl or similar and it will make a very nice indentation to follow.

SA

Steve,

Just to clarify, are you referring to action back carpets here? I just tried it with some jute backed carpets in my shop with no success. 103.5% of my work is on jute secondary backed carpets :lol:

John

Stevea

Hi John,

For the most part I was speaking about action bac carpet. Still, it will work with jute backing on tufted carpet as well, woven carpet can certainly be different. Although it is not as easily defined with jute backed goods, it will still be a useful tool.

Thank you for clarifying the point John.

SA

ACE

Name
Mike Hughes
I find a small steel carpenters square and a straight edge to be very useful tools.

D Rice

Name
Doug Rice
I went to WalMart or a craft store and bought a Heavy plastic straight edge and also one that folds out to any angle for laying out a sewing pattern and I can use it to measure and to mark a donor piece. I am also going to order some of SA's templates that he uses in the class.

Back
Top Bottom