Test for wax on ceramic tile

Condog

Name
Tony
I was reading a post and read where a member didn't test ceramic tile for wax, when the floor dried there was marks where the wax came off and didn't come off.

How do you test? Is there different tests for different kinds of waxes?

Todd C

Name
Todd
Start off visually inspecting. Is the tile real shiney? Is the grout shiney? Shiney grout is almost always a dead giveaway there’s wax. You can also take a razor blade and try scraping a tile in a corner and see if anything flakes off.

Last edited:

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
If you still don't see any of the above evidence, yet you're still concerned...put a drop of stripper on the tile behind the door for 5min. If the clear liquid clouds up, you have wax on the floor

Reactions: Condog

Condog

Name
Tony
Start off visually inspecting. Is the tile real shiney? Is the grout shiney? Shiney grout is almost always a dead giveaway there’s wax. You can also take a razor blade and try scraping a tile in a corner and see if anything flakes off.
Thank you

Reactions: Todd C

Condog

Name
Tony
If you still don't see any of the above evidence, yet you're still concerned...put a drop of stripper on the tile behind the door for 5min. If the clear liquid clouds up, you have wax on the floor
I found an article regarding testing for wood floors.
it said place several drops of mineral spirits (paint thinner) on floor for several minutes, wipe up with a white towel if there is brown or yellow residue or it feels waxy.

Second test was drop a large drop of 1/1 water/ammonia on floor, allow to sit 5 minutes. if area turns white, a floor polish or wax is likely present.

I know wood and ceramic are different, but are there multiple types of waxes that people have put on floor tile?

I haven't found anything about testing for waxes on ceramic floors. With all the collective wisdom here, I figure there are things learned I can't find any internet search.

Is visual and stripper testing the only methods I need to do as part of pre-inspection?

Mikey P

Administrator
I found an article regarding testing for wood floors.
it said place several drops of mineral spirits (paint thinner) on floor for several minutes, wipe up with a white towel if there is brown or yellow residue or it feels waxy.

Second test was drop a large drop of 1/1 water/ammonia on floor, allow to sit 5 minutes. if area turns white, a floor polish or wax is likely present.

I know wood and ceramic are different, but are there multiple types of waxes that people have put on floor tile?

I haven't found anything about testing for waxes on ceramic floors. With all the collective wisdom here, I figure there are things learned I can't find any internet search.

Is visual and stripper testing the only methods I need to do as part of pre-inspection?
Scratch test too..

Reactions: Condog

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom