The best of times AND the worst of times...

Russ T.

Supportive Member
Name
Russ Terhaar
My helper has been with us for a month now and I couldn't be more excited about that. He's been really, really good. What a very personable young (24) man who is looking to help and keep moving. I can tell that he was taught from a young age, not to stand around while your partner is working hard. The top review was just left yesterday. We dominated another one!

IMG_0589.JPG

BUT I'm also dealing with a self inflicted water loss. This is the toughest situation that I have caused since being in business here in Iowa. On Wednesday, we were cleaning a large home full of carpet, for a new customer. I hooked up to their outside water spigot without asking the homeowner.

You can guess what happened, if you spend any time on this board at all.

We were cleaning the basement last. I was feeling pretty good about the large job and the results of the cleaning, as I entered the basement level to find LOTS of standing water. I'm guessing at least 30-40 gallons or so had leaked from inside the wall, down and out an outlet behind their entertainment center.

IMG_0582.JPG

I freaked out...but not in front of the homeowner or my employee.

I sucked as much of it out as I could, got everything on blocks, and got the carpet floating with an air mover...before getting the homeowner to take the walk of shame with me.

I couldn't have asked for a better couple for this to happen with. They have been great. She admitted to knowing about the issue so I know it wouldn't have happened if I would have asked to use the spigot.

I borrowed a dehumidifier from a local competitor and took it out there on Thursday night. He was great too. Very friendly and helpful.

I'm abandoning my "water loss" first thing in the morning tomorrow to visit the Saiger Compound. He's going to help me to get my new rig in cleaning shape.

Pulsation dampener, chem pump rebuild, hose set up, belts and hoses...Saigerized! That part makes it the BEST of times!

What a rollercoaster this small business ownership can be!

Bob Savage

Name
Bob Savage
I just had that happen to me a couple of months ago, and I asked if the outside spigot was OK to use, and the homeowner said yes. ALWAYS ASK!

I got a call 3 hours later that there was a flood on the carpet from inside the wall - 2 bedrooms, hall, and part of a FM; all the areas that we had just cleaned.

For some reason he also called ServPro, who was there when I arrived back to take care of drying the structure and carpet after extracting.

The ServPro guy was scoping out the walls and etc., so I asked them both who was going to do the job because I needed to know. I also said I don't have any idea what ServPro is going to charge you but I am going to do the job for no charge.

The ServPro guy left and drove away, and I got to work.

2 days later all was well. We put the carpet back, re-cleaned it, and loaded equipment as the homeowner handed me a hundred dollar bill and thanked me for taking care of the problem.

Last edited:

Bob Savage

Name
Bob Savage
My 100 gallon fresh water tank has solved that problem. I never hook up to a residential water spigot. Commercial yes.
Well, Jimmy, you ungrateful bast...., sometimes we just run out of water.

It's that men and mice thing!

I also carry 100 gallons of fresh, softened water.

With 3 to 5 jobs a day, you are going to run out of water somewhere.

...and you are still pushing that Castex wand??? Maybe that accumulates water inside and keeps you going?

Last edited:

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
If I run low on water I just lower my psi and limp thru

jcooper

Name
Jerry Cooper
I'm asking from now on.

Ms Smith, have you had any issues with your outside water spigots? Do you have a specific one you want me to use/not use.

I bet they left the garden hose connected all winter...

Reactions: ronbeatty

steve_64

I've only had to hook up for water a couple times on the job. Most of my work is close to home so I keep the 100 gallon tank topped off between jobs.

Name
Nate W.
Another reason I'm lucky to live in Hawaii... No winterizing, no asking to use spigots, no basements, no problems....!:stir:

Maybe you might realize the money that can be made in WDR... :lol:

J

JS41035

I've been taught to kink the hose after hooking up. If you hear water running in the wall, shut it off.
I've never goofed up. But I've found a lot of frozen and busted faucets. Dad always had a ball valve on the garden hose.

Reactions: Mikey P and Russ T.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom