The Great Wand Off of 2016

Mikey P

Administrator
and away we go..

zukjyiyTkzaQyYZhi3qouzFPBHv9NJFkqR8KjPhgbZS1Sh6Yk5_FmYFxB82XYo4dhP2Aq9thbcc=w990-h942-no.jpg

Cody Ransom

Name
Cody
Okay I wasn't sure how scientific you get with it like testing the CFM of the wand and testing the moisture in the carpet ect. Can't wait to see what you think of the wands.:biggrin:

Reactions: SamIam

Mikey P

Administrator
Thoughts so far..

When it comes to Swivels, my preference is for a tight/stiff action. I don't like having to fight to keep the wand in line (centered). When it's time for me to utilize the benefits of the swivel in a corner or under furniture, I prefer to use my left/assist hand to instigate the turn. Tom has some tricks to keeping his wand very stiff, if that is your preference.

That's being said, obviously I like Tom's wand the best out of all the swivlers. Screamer.

Tony's new wand comes in second. His knock off of Tom's swivel saved him. His prior attempts were garbage. Unfortunately due to the S bend tube having an odd bend to the right in the last section before the head, the wand fights you, always wanting to tilt to the left. Screamer.

Next would be the Mytee. Not a fan of the loose, somewhat jiggly swivel. Also, I don't trust myself or my crews to use a metal glide. I do concede that the Mytee glide is great for agitation, but I'd rather pre scrub than wand scrub. Very light but not a screamer

In last place was the Interlink wand. Far too heavy, far to much lock down on CGD and far too much resistance from the flat plastic glide. It just plain wears you out in no time at all. Loose clunky glide too. Mumbler.

Rigid wand thoughts

Tom, Cu and I all LOVE the Sapphire 12". It's a total joy to use. The lightest wand in our comparison BY FAR, yet not the sort of light that needs a hand leaning on the assist handle to keep to head planted. Tremendous suction. Great glide with zero side to side movement. The manifolds could be a tad lower to help control heat loss and spittle. This wand is sold with out a Glide so the jets are place accordingly.
A tight swivel would be a perfect upgrade.
Screamer.

Tom's new Unswivle is everything a revamped Prochem Ti could be. Wonderful on this job with large open rooms. Screamer.

Evolution 15". The wand stutters so much on the forward stroke we all gave up with in a few linear feet. Could be the plastic glide but most likely the large plastic head. Maybe this isn't an issue with less powerful units. Mumbler

Zipper
While the three of us nerded out, my son plowed through 50% of the job with the 15" Zipper with no fanfair. We had the pre scrub the whole job with a Cimex. If we had the ZSS, I highly doubt that would have been needed.

Cimex.
The King of dirt grinders. Interestingly, I found a full gallon of Hot Knife encap "prespray" that I thought we would try. A multi purpose product. Horrible. No foam or lube involved so the Mex stalled, bucked and kicked non stop. DS2 to the rescue. Foam is king.
Screamer...

Last edited:

Mikey P

Administrator
I forgout to mention the TRex Jr..

The mini RE was a life saver today in the worse of the worse areas. Very smooth, great recovery, very aggressive.

I can't say if it's more aggressive than a RV brushhead based on just one greasy CGD job, but its far more than a regular RV or HOSS.

Probably just needs a few inches of brush strips under there...
20160926_133133.jpg

I would like to see the speed adjuster beefed up and relocated.
Also a clear tube would be more effective than the clear elbow for seeing color and flow.
The extra ten pounds over the 360i was noticeable in use and transport.

Last edited:

cu

Supportive Member
Name
Cu
I found it funny how close we where in choice of wand. .but no surprise I put Toms like a very nice tailor made suit, the Bentley a off the rack executive suit but Tony's I put in 3. . I fully expect some to say or think I'm saying that because of my relationship with mytee. But I've use the Bentley for18 months and tried Tony's only today. And couldn't find any great advantage in the dang wand . Going over everything we talked about today + and - I would buy the Bentley

Cost aside I don't think there's one wand that fits all .

The little sapphire is super nice wand. Just put a swivel and nice assist handle on it and sell it with a glide

I think the interlink wand has a good wand trying to get out . But it's trapped in a heavy yugo . built in mother Russia ( yes I know yugos came from Yugoslavia)

The Trex Jr and Trex are getting extraction brush heads.

Mikey P

Administrator
I have to wonder about the SS14"

The 12 is just so sweet, I fear the larger air chamber may be too big. The Interlink and Mach15 proved that bigger is not always better.

TConway

Supportive Member
Name
Thomas Conway
It was a awesome day, trying out all the wands.
I give praise to interlink for there ingenuity and coming to bat with there own design. The wand needs a Teflon glide. The weight would not have been so noticeable if it would have moved more easily, the glide is just to much like a plow.
The dang wand is good also, but the truth is he has just stoled others hard time in innovation to come to the table and be here. Will his wand hold up over time.....it is hard to say.
The Evo just didn't handle the day very well all I think the plastic head just flexed to much and would not stay planted on the carpet.
The Mytee that came here had been used there was no denying the wand had cleaned 100's if not 1000's of sf of carpet and yes it was showing wear but still performed very well.
Cimex was awesome
The T-Rex jr was awesome as well seemed to be built very well but the speed control does look like to only weak link. The only other thing I can say about it that would have to be taken into account is the metal glides, extreme caution when cleaning next to tile or wood ad the metal glides will win in every encounter. Other than that is performed very well.
SS little ti wand was very nice...I did notice a bit of over spray but this wand had glide and original build did not so that little bit of height may be why the over spray. But a very nice wand and great suck for a 1.5 wand.
I have also learned that my original swivel that has taken the abuse of the big trucks for the past year has stood up amazingly well. There is not much movement or play than when it went to Mikey and would probably be back to almost original condition if I replaced the o rings. The bearings have held up and the races have not shown any major slop at all......
That being said....I don't know if it the heat from the big trucks, or the chem they use, or the water down here, or possibly adjustments that have been done the set screws have absolutely seized up, So I am not able to replace the o rings with the limited tools I brought down, I want to take this wand back home open her up and see if simple o rings bring it back to almost it original when I sent it out.
Idk what it is it is not the wands fault as we tried to replace some fittings on some SS upholstery tools and even locking them in a massive vise we were not able to unthread them I have never seen this happen and I am glad that I have now and can address this and find out what is the best approach to fix it.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom