The next step.

BLewis

Supportive Member
Name
Billy Lewis
So have any members here built garages big enough to hold your truck/trucks? I'm talking about 10 ft doors. Starting to research restrictions etc for our hood. There are several work trucks parked in our neighbor hood and our HOA doesn't have restrictions. Not interested in doing any work at the property, just wanting a place to store the trucks out of the frigid cold in the winter

Last edited:
Reactions: Mark Saiger

jwfoulk12

Name
Justin Foulk
I put up a 30x40 insulated garage with 12 foot ceilings and 10x10 doors when I bought my house back in 02. It was a pretty painless process for me where I live.

Reactions: BLewis

Mark Saiger

Mr Happy!
Name
Mark Saiger
Started out in the little 16 x 22 single stall garage. Insulated and put in electric base board heaters.

Added the larger shop 28 x 32 onto the little garage. Went up 2 rows of cement blocks....got 12 foot ceilings.

Added a fuel oil furnace that was in house and only 5 years old. House now has propane.

Shop also has back up electic base board heat just in case and generators can run everything if needed.

Full bathroom in shop as well as washer and dryer. Thing have changed up with different layouts of the shelving, but just making a large open space is a great way to start and be ready to modify as needed each year.

2008GMCVanandButler016.jpg

2008GMCVanandButler014.jpg

NewTrailerpicswithvan003.jpg

IMG_1062.jpg

IMG_1061.jpg

IMG_1063.jpg

IMG_1060.jpg

IMG_1059.jpg

IMG_1058.jpg

IMG_1057.jpg

IMG_1056.jpg

IMG_1055.jpg

IMG_1054.jpg

IMG_1053.jpg

BLewis

Supportive Member
Name
Billy Lewis
Thanks for the posts. Mark are those 10 ft doors on your latest edition? And epoxy coat floors?
Also, do you have storage room up above?

Mark Saiger

Mr Happy!
Name
Mark Saiger
Yes to all.

The storage is just a drop down hiding attic ladder that I had to build a step to act as a support on the floor when dropping down because they typically only make a ladder for up to 10 foot ceilings. These are 12 foot ceilings and 10 foot doors.

We started out with a Menards Garage kit (they even delivered it free on site) and then when up 2 cement blocks high.

Those are professionally done good epoxy floors. They are awesome and worth every dollar (about $5800 for the entire floor I think)

Storage up above is only about 4 foot tall, but good for boxes and other small items.

If did it again, would almost put a small loft for office or such up there, but just happy at the time with the money to get this.

Was trying to find some current pics as I also have 4 x 4 drop down ceiling storage units also installed that I raise and lower with a drill.

Also have better rug drying racks that drop down between the garage door rails and other areas of the shop.

Will keep looking through pics and try to post.

Reactions: BLewis

Russ T.

Supportive Member
Name
Russ Terhaar
Looks great Mark!

I'd love a room to myself upstairs, if I can get a garage built. It's hard to get anything done in our house. Max (4) is a tiger.

I'm still not sure if I'd prefer a garage/shop off site or right at the house. It would have to be an acreage outside of town. We are right in town now, with a pretty standard residential lot.

TomKing

Supportive Member
Name
Tom
I remember signing our first lease $1000 per month. I thought what have I done.

You have done the right thing!!!!!!!!!

You will be out of space in 6 months.

Don't bring it back in your house. Rent is part of doing business just like a truck payment, chemicals and gas.

your wife is right having it your house is not balance and even 1 employee is a violation daily of your home. Keep it separate.

Build your budget and sell more work to cover your base expenses.

Next up a office, 2 techs and someone to answer phones.

Congrats! Never look back press forward!

Reactions: Russ T.

Mark Saiger

Mr Happy!
Name
Mark Saiger
We are always looking so when we are in semi retirement in the next few years and our kids our running the business, we will have a different set up.

I have almost bought five different buildings and almost rented one.

Our local taxes are so crazy high in the community, on any building comparable to what I have the taxes would be about $1000 to$2000 per month (which is looking at some less expensive places)

So, finding anything in our local community is out. As well as any remodel or change up is crazy as well. Start on one thing in the building and everything has to be fully remodeled and brought up to new codes....even if leasing the place.

A couple of smaller outlying communities are better for being able to perform business from, but finding something is key. Almost bought a place just 2 miles away from me that they put a sign up couple weeks ago, started looking and boom....sold!

Was just on Zillow again today and always looking for good deals or repo's.

What we have works especially since it is just family basically doing the work, but we are preparing for the future and to make something more for our business.

It's also nice not to have an additional payment hanging over our heads in January, February and part of March if having another bad MN winter :)

So, we never quit looking, but we also didn't wait around for the perfect for us now building....I build my ultimate man cave!

(and let the business pay for it:) )

Jerry

Supportive Member
Nice space Russ and Mark! My shop is underway, cement pored and drains in, water and sewer as well. I could only afford a 30 x 40 x16. 12 x 14 overhead doors, radiant tube heat, small bathroom only. I am going to build some shelves suspended from the ceiling to get everything off the floor as much as possible. I would like to install a 2 post 12,000lb lift this winter on the one side to mess around with some cars while the snow is flying. I have a 125' x 500' lot so I can add on down the road if needed. I bought the lot about 4 years ago with the intention of building, its adjacent to our homes backyard. Buildings are not cheap! should have built right away. I think my wife is more excited than I am, she wants her garage back!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom