"There is something about....mArY....aka....Brian Robison..

joe harper

Name
joe harper
Is there anyone on the board...that would "sub"....for 50%... :?:

If you were a struggling newbie...&...had NO work.... :(

Could you see where this type of percentage....would be beneficial... :?:

Jack May

That Kiwi
Name
John
Re: "There is something about....mArY....aka....Brian Robinson..

Joe, there's no way I'd consider working for that type of arrangement but...

there's guys out there that will, and gladly do so.

Some business owners are TECHNICIANS and while they are good at what they do, they are probably not great at business skills.

And so they look at it this way, they get a steady flow of worked dropped in their lap, they may have low overheads and can control costs enough without advertising to make a 'good' income.

Perhaps some have come from a background earning $15,18-25/hr and all of a sudden, they are earning $50-75/hr in that work. So they are better off than where they came from?

I don't necessarily agree with it, due to a more shoprt sighted approach to business by earning a nice wage for 'now' without allowing for growth, a rainy day, equipment replacement etc.

Don't knock it, just because it doesn't work for you. There's plenty out there that would no doubt be glad for it. For an owner operator going through a slow down period, it may be the difference between putting food on the table or paying the equipment HP during winter till their spring/summer work kicks in again.

John

joe harper

Name
joe harper
John,

I wasn't knocking it...I would think it would be a GOD SEND..for many that are in trouble
in this economy..! Pride can be a foolish emotion...when the bills need to be paid...

I see NO shame in working for LESS.."To fight another day"

When I had back surgery...I had to use SUBS..to save my business..!!!

However ....I paid them 60%..and a few 70%...!!!
Depending on their skills & equipment ... :!:

joe harper

Name
joe harper
Brian Robison said:
Should I stay out of this one, Harp?

ABSOLUTELY NOT....Jump in..!

This could be a beneficial thread for all involved...I KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING..

It is perfect timing for you & some guys in this industry ...to team up !!!

NOTICE..no emotioncons...that means I am serious...!!! Well maybe.. :wink:

Bob Foster

The question really should be what is the job selling at. If Brian is putting jobs out a 50cents per then a bit of volume at two bits isn't all the at bad if that is all his subs want.

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
I do try to get higher prices and that helps everyone....we have to give in a little sometimes just like anyone else.

The Techs have done $1000.00 days and better (They get $500.00).
We just did a job over $2000.00 with two crews and we split it 3 ways...and one tech did another job right after as well.

I don't think they are doing so bad. They also do their own jobs and they can work for whoever they want.
It's been slow for Dec but we all still did ok.

One guy that works for me was subbing for another company that did $35.00 apts all day (he made $17.50 :shock: )...with some spots or pet treatment sold.

He would work his ass off all day and then do a couple jobs for me the next day and make the same money on two jobs and didn't work half a day...he works for me more now.

I don't mind anyone NOT liking what I am doing..they have their business structure and that's fine...it's not for everyone.
But when someone says I am taking advantage of people or anything like that...they are dead wrong and that's one thing I take offense to.

I've always helped my fellow cleaners or just people in general.
Yes, I will help myself along the way...and I will try to get rich doing it. But I believe that's what we are here for. To utilize our talents to our full potential and learn from any and everything.

Yet another moment with Brian. :wink:

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
HARPER said:
Brian ...How important is it for you to reatin the cleint...?

Very important...but I also understand that I won't uphold the job to retention ratio as I did when cleaning myself.
No body cares as much as I do...and there is the occasional "Stolen" job.

joe harper

Name
joe harper
Brian Robison said:
HARPER said:
Brian ...How important is it for you to reatin the cleint...?

Very important...but I also understand that I won't uphold the job to retention ratio as I did when cleaning myself.
No body cares as much as I do...and there is the occasional "Stolen" job.

Yea...they will steal.."ONE"...then its the death sentance..!!!!

joe harper

Name
joe harper
Here are some of the 'PERKS"...I offered my guys...

I gave them a $50.00 minimum.

Any "repeat" customer ...asking for them..additional 10% on re-service..

After there 50th...sub job for me...10% raise

After 6mths...20% bonus on all upsales over original ticket..

After 1 year...$500.00 cash bonus...

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
I thought about giving some incentives like that but then I thought..."the harder they work, the more money they get" seems to do the trick.

It's easy for everyone. I track every penny...but they don't do so well. If I muddy it up with too many options then they start to lose track.
Just easier for all aspects.

I will give them more money on a job that ends up being a "Bad" job.
Like out of the area, cranky customer that needs too much attention...last minute weekend job....or night job...
I know when it's more of a PITA for the tech..so I will give in a little.

Another thing I will do is give a job to them if it's a really small one roomer or something like that.
The customer doesn't want to pay our $90.00 minimum so the Tech will do it for $45.00 and still make his cut...and I tell the customer what's going on so they can call the Tech directly with any issues.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
Brian Robison said:
But when someone says I am taking advantage of people or anything like that...they are dead wrong and that's one thing I take offense to.

:

as long as you're upfront, open and it's all on the table....then they're going in with eyes wide open, and you're surely not taking advantage of them...well, you are indeed taking advantage of them, just not in a shifty underhanded way

..L.T.A.

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
meAt said:
Brian Robison said:

:

as long as you're upfront, open and it's all on the table....then they're going in with eyes wide open, and you're surely not taking advantage of them...well, you are indeed taking advantage of them, just not in a shifty underhanded way

..L.T.A.

:roll:

joe harper

Name
joe harper
Just a "Point of Awareness"..for you to chew on...

10% of the gross...could be the differance between...success or failure...in you VENTURE..!

At 60%...you will ATTRACT...a MUCH higher caliber of CLEANER... :idea:

You will get a completely different TYPE of cleaner at 60% rather than 50%...

"You said it was VERY important to RETAIN...your cleint.."

If this is TRUE...then look at the additional 10%..as an investment in your cleint base...!

If you find a WINNER..you can't AFFORD...to pay him less than 65%...
If you pay him 65%...you will have a "GO TO GUY"...that will build YOUR business for you..
He also ...will NOT leave because he cannot ...GENERATE new cleints for himself for 35%.!!

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
Lee,
No.
The deal is what it is...If I decide I want to give out of my part of the deal I can...if they want to NOT get paid for something then they have that choice on there end of the deal.

Do you often make deals and then take more than you agreed on?

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
HARPER said:

10% of the gross...could be the differance between...success or failure...in you VENTURE..!

If this is TRUE...then look at the additional 10%..as an investment in your cleint base...!

If you pay him 65%...you will have a "GO TO GUY"...that will build YOUR business for you..
He also ...will NOT leave because he cannot ...GENERATE new cleints for himself for 35%.!!

That makes perfect sense.
I agree with it.
If I can get to a point where I can pay a Sub that percentage and still survive as a company...then I will.

Really they should be able to make up for my loss in upsales, sales etc.
But until that happens, I'll have to stick at 50/50.

I had always planned to pay as much as I can. I figure after I conquer my 3rd city maybe..but only for the star Techs.

GOLDENDRAGON

I have done some pretty shitty jobs in my life time and this carpet cleaning gig I would not like to do for some on else for 50% unless that other party paid for on top my overhead costs like insurance gas chemicals per job.Other than that there are tons of 10 to 15 dollar an hour jobs out there.

joe harper

Name
joe harper
GOLDENDRAGON said:
I have done some pretty shitty jobs in my life time and this carpet cleaning gig I would not like to do for some on else for 50% unless that other party paid for on top my overhead costs like insurance gas chemicals per job.Other than that there are tons of 10 to 15 dollar an hour jobs out there.

As long as you are hUmPinG that BANE CLEAN...you will never see more than $15.00 hr..

(just kidding)
:p :mrgreen:

Hoody

Supportive Member
Name
Steven Hoodlebrink
HARPER said:

I don't disagree with what you are doing. But Harper makes an excellent point. Take what you know about gaining a client and put that into gaining a quality cleaner. Sure you'll find some that will work for your 50%. But I do have a few questions.

Since the cleaners are working under your name, do you claim all responsibility for what they may do,(ruin a carpet, break a piece of content, ect) or do you hold them financially responsible ?

Out of the 50% you're receiving how much of that is really going towards gaining new clients, and or client retention ?

You're making clone copies of your business in different parts of the U.S. - Why have you chose do it this route, rather than just selling franchises ? Is there a greater benefit to doing it this way ?

Do you still have policies/procedures and processes that your subs have to follow, or do you just drum up the work and let them have at it ?

What are doing to attract new subs, and what are you doing for marketing to educate your clients on your services - Service Monster Direct Mailing ? I would think you would put a lot of effort into this, as the cleaners would benefit more from YOU educating the client. It would cut down on their chat time of having to do more explainations, keeping them more productive; a win/win.

rick imby

Name
Rick
Steven Hoodlebrink said:
HARPER said:

I don't disagree with what you are doing. But Harper makes an excellent point. Take what you know about gaining a client and put that into gaining a quality cleaner. Sure you'll find some that will work for your 50%. But I do have a few questions.

Since the cleaners are working under your name, do you claim all responsibility for what they may do,(ruin a carpet, break a piece of content, ect) or do you hold them financially responsible ?

Out of the 50% you're receiving how much of that is really going towards gaining new clients, and or client retention ?

You're making clone copies of your business in different parts of the U.S. - Why have you chose do it this route, rather than just selling franchises ? Is there a greater benefit to doing it this way ?

Do you still have policies/procedures and processes that your subs have to follow, or do you just drum up the work and let them have at it ?

What are doing to attract new subs, and what are you doing for marketing to educate your clients on your services - Service Monster Direct Mailing ? I would think you would put a lot of effort into this, as the cleaners would benefit more from YOU educating the client. It would cut down on their chat time of having to do more explainations, keeping them more productive; a win/win.

It is interesting that people who work a different business model think they know all about Brian's business model.

10% more attracting a better class of cleaner? More money does not make a better cleaner. On the other side you have Cole saying you cannot make it by giving your subs 50 he works with 35%. Is Priority getting a 15% better cleaner than Cole? Have you looked at the awards Cole has gotten? Or the awards that Brian has gotten?

Does Cole or Brian treat their subs better than you treat your tech? Owners calling their Techs Chimps ring a bell anyone. The tech on your truck does he make as much as Brian's sub? Maybe you are the one who is underpaying their people.

Why doesn't Priority do a franchise? That question is really easy to answer. The laws governing franchises are smothering. It takes a couple hundred thousand to get the franchise paperwork in place.

Would I have worked for 35% when I was young and broke? You bet. Would I have done a good job? You bet. Did I do a good job when I was working for Albertsons for $1.25 an hour? yup.

Most people either do a good job or they do enough to get by. It is not about the money. It is about leaving a clean carpet.

The subs that complain the most about the percentage will probably be the worst cleaners. The employees I have had in the past that felt they were irreplaceable needed to be replaced.

Rick

Zero Percent Credit Cards
Straight Talk Wireless

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
Ottis Hoodmyer Wrote

At the end of the day it's their company doing it. I do have insurance and they will as well. What that covers is minimal really. Ethically it will be up to both of us to take a loss if something is damaged.

I am at the point where I am spending more time than money advertising...but I still have advertising costs of course. I also pay a sales guy in the Sac area (my brother) a % for what he does. It's abot 30% to 40% depending on time of year off the first truck and then comes down a bit on each one I can keep running.

If an area gets too big for me to handle then I will consider franchising and I have. A very good friend of my owns Cybertary and she is selling franchises all over the country. She has spoke with me about it. I have talked to a few of my more "marketing" type Carpet Cleaners about getting on board the business side of it with me and I have spoke with them about taking over entire areas whether it be on a sub contractor basis or franchise.

I have tolet them have at it because of laws deciding whether or not they are a sub or employee. If they do bad work, I don't use them anymore.

Attracting new subs isn't as important as getting the customers....with work comes workers. I educate customers over the phone, I do let the ads do the talking for attracting them to that point. Chat time between the sub and customer is important. I give as much info over the phone as I can but the sub will make the better job ticket by spending his/her own time with the customer.
I utilize Service Monster to it's full potential. Customer retention is easier with that program. Click it and its done.

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
Hey Mikey,
The screwing up of the posting after it gets a little long really sucks.
I cut and paste the longer ones but I can't color up the answer areas because the screen jumps around like a faggot on fire.
What gives?
:?

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
Rick,
Youg get it.
I had KP working with me and he still stands as one of the best cleaners I've met and/or worked with. He worked for the same % as everyone else...He just got most of the work because he was so good...I was just looking at his pay for the year and he made as much as someone in the corporate world working 60 hourse a week or more and I don't think he ever worked 40 hours in a week for me....nor did he work the full 09 year.
I base the pay on what my oldest brother made last year.

I don't want to get into his personal life too much but he was doing just fine.

It all comes down to "How you do anything, is how you do everything" a guy is going to do a good or bad job no matter how much you pay him...

but I will agree...that guy who does better work will make more money in the long run. That's just a given with me. Plus he would have a better leg to stand on if he wanted to make a higher %.

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
GOLDENDRAGON said:

For a 10 hour day making $500.00 for the whole day (their cut)...what's the hourly wage on that? It sure as shit shootin isn't $15.00 an hour.
Even after your expenses it's going to be $35.00/hour or better.
And after those expenses are decucted the pay you take home gets higher.
Do you have any idea how much tax is taken out of someones pay makeing a straight $50.00/hour?
But it's not the hourly wage that matters it's what you make at the end of the day.

Maybe I will have my accountant make up a scenerio for us.

edit: by the way...I love how some get on the 50% thing being horrible...it could be 50% of a couple of thousand compared to 100% of 500. which one would you rather have?

Ken Snow

RIP
Name
Ken Snow
Brian do what you feel works and to hell with what others say. In the 80's we were still using few subs and one of them made over 100k at 50%. He did great work and used an assistant that made about 25k, had about 10k in total expenses so his pretax income from us was 65k. Pretty darn good income for a guy with a 10th grade education. He also did great work.

Ken

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
Ah Ken....always the voice of reason...I think I will nominate you for the Crap Cutter award.
Thanks

truckmount girl

1800greenglides
Name
Lisa Smith
Why does it cost all of you so much to get and keep clients??? My advertising/marketing expenses were nil, even in the first few years. I paid way more for my chems. My largest expense was gas. My repeat/referal rate was nearly 100% by the end of my first year.

Of course I wasn't trying to support anyone but myself and my kids, so I didn't need to do 5-6 jobs a day either, I was happy with two and home in time for the kids to get back from school.

Much less stress and worry and complication.

Take care,
Lisa

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom