Thermal cameras if you don’t have one, you need to get one

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
We had a moisture inspection for a homeowner yesterday that had WDR loss 2-weeks ago. It originated from a storm and went from the roof, through went through two floors. Ceilings, walls, carpet subfloor.

He didn’t call us because he said his insurance company said he could not use us. He was told he could only use a specific franchise.

This company came in and gutted everything. They took it down to skinny, setup drying and let it run for weeks. The homeowner called us because he was concerned that areas he saw water run down were not addresses despite his pleas to the restoration company.

He told them he had the concerns and that he had contacted us for an inspection. They were cocky and said no big deal bring them on they won’t find anything its dry.

Top floor was dry, but there was nothing left but framing. Main floor showed temperature differential in several walls. Further inspection with a non-destructive meter showed moisture also. The homeowner was livid, the restorer couldn’t believe it and went and got his own meters.

He begins probing around saying “see its dry, you’re getting false readings.” My supervisor using his thermal camera told him to drop down about a foot. Bingo! It was wet. They missed two walls and left them sitting for two weeks.

Homeowner had told them and they just would not listen. There was also dust & debris throughout the home from the tear out. They had a feeble attempt at containment but it wasn’t secure nor did they have it under neg air. Their reason? The insurance company won’t pay for air scrubbers.

These boys are screwin the pooch big time yet they are the vendor darlings being forced up the unknowing insured. :dejection:

Roof leaks are very difficult; water travels all over, along floor joists, hvac ducting and plumbing chases. Without a thermal camera to point you in the right direction you can easily assume areas are dry when they are not.

Don’t take chances, even an entry level thermal camera will assist you in finding what is wet and allow you to make decisions as to whether remove it or dry it.

Cover your butt, look professional and seal more estimates with a thermal camera. :winky:

PrimaDonna

Megatron
Name
MB
Wow....and it's it illegal for the insurance company to deny you to use who you want or say you can only use a certain vendor? They are going to have some big time problems and maybe even a law suit on their hands.

Reactions: Connor

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
It happens more often than one would think. As does the malpractice.

These guys we confident that all was dry. We are all a commodity in the insurance providers eyes.

Fortunately or unfortunately that's not how it works. They never learn! :winky:

Askal

RIP
Name
Al
We had A similar issue. Got booted after adjuster bad mouths us. We were waiting for asbestos results before demo. New contractor just rips it out. Test results come back positive for chrysotile in vinyl. He has now contaminated the home. The DEQ will be extracting a lot of fines from him. And yes I will be calling them.

Jeremy N

Supportive Member
It might save your ass some day. Get to training!

Me - push this button right damn there and aim that bitch....

Tech - what am I looking for?

Me - hell, wave that sucker around until you find something different looking and then put an assload of drying equipment near it!

Tech - yeah, but what am I looking for?

Me - money, ya dumbass!

dgardner

Name
Dan Gardner
Rich, what do you think of the C2 for casual use? It's pretty lo res though.

http://www.flir.com/instruments/content/?id=66732

C2_front-back.png

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
I saw that in the Interlink flyer. I don't know much about it but I think its hard to beat the price.

If it will help the technician in the field with his inspection then its a good idea. Great price too.

As far as documenting, the low resolution might be an issue but chances are you'll just need to get closer for shots.

Finding it and drying it are my biggest concerns, documentation secondary.

Reactions: dgardner

Old Coastie

Supportive Member
Name
Stephen
Even as a flea in the industry, I see the yellows and greens as a cautionary example of how the best equipment on Earth doesn't overcome employee apathy.

Frankly though, it helps my little company. It is a moral paradox.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Who you are and the size of your franchise/company have little to do with it. Its the weakest link issue.

If that guy in the field signing it off as dry is the weak link, your ass is at risk. The technician if not yourself should be one that is meticulous with inspection. Someone very thorough, that understands the risk & liability involved and is willing to be responsible.

Name
Lee Stockwell
Who you are and the size of your franchise/company have little to do with it. Its the weakest link issue.

If that guy in the field signing it off as dry is the weak link, your ass is at risk. The technician if not yourself should be one that is meticulous with inspection. Someone very thorough, that understands the risk & liability involved and is willing to be responsible.
And THAT is why we pay you so much Rich..

Reactions: Desk Jockey

dealtimeman

Everyday is Saturday.
Name
Michael
Dan that Flir camera will put you light years ahead of what most guys have and use daily.

A thermal camera will just cut down on "hunting" for moisture. It jusy points you in the right direction for invasive or noninvasive meter inspection by cutting your time and have you looking in a specific area instead of have to inspect the entire structure.

You still have to use a meter, or you will eventually get tricked into believing a wall that the a/c vent is hitting actually wet, when in reality it is just cold and not wet.

D Rice

Name
Doug Rice
Richard sent Steve out with a thermal camera a year or so ago and saved my but on a drying job I got roped into. The remodeling contractor kept unhooking my equipment and saying everything was dry . Steve came in with a camera and it lit up a couple of wet spots, one of which was a big chunk of an upstairs hallway ceiling wet from a roof leak that had spread to many areas.
Richard what do you think about the Flir I Phone camera for basic work?
I also noticed Home Depot Rental has a Flir
Camera for about 45.00 for 4 hour rental.

Reactions: Mikey P

dealtimeman

Everyday is Saturday.
Name
Michael
Exactly, any thermal is better than no thermal.

The iPhone thermal for quick hunting or scanning is good "enough"

You can start with a hand held and quickly you will appreciate the larger more capable cameras along with their amenities and strengths.

With our cameras, we don't even have to get more than a foot or so inside a room to get the whole picture.

With a handheld like the iPhone attachment or the new handheld it will just take a few seconds longer and won't be as strong pixel wise/definition.

Like stated above for hunting it would be awsome especially if you don't have one right now to compare it to.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
I also noticed Home Depot Rental has a Flir
Camera for about 45.00 for 4 hour rental.
That's not bad. Especially if it were a roof leak or from something above.

We had a small WDR loss last week that had a clean water toilet tank malfunction. It went through the bathroom floor and down into the family & dining room. The ceiling showed a couple of visible spots but with the thermal you could see affected areas of 8x8 in the dining room and 10x15 in the living room.

As we tore down the ceiling trapped water just gushed down and even with it removed continued to drip for 20-30 minutes.
Without a thermal I would have probably cut weep holes but would have never know the cavity was so wet. It just didn't appear it to the eye. It would have left us exposed as to why we left wet materials.

The water had drained down through ducting and the plumbing chases. You need a thermal!

Reactions: dgardner

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom