Tm in a Sprinter

I'm looking at the Sprinter 3500. Anyone have one? I know Dom Has one. Just wondering how wide the side door opening is? With a large TM, two hose reels(500ft), rx, 4 wands, 3 furniture tools, stair tools, repair tools, 30 gallon stock tank, chemicals, two inline sprayers, 2 pump sprayers, fresh water hose reel and supplies, if it would all fit without being cluttered. My box truck weighs 14,000 loaded. The Sprinter would be heavy if all will fit. Looking at setting two of these up. One in the next month or two and then another shortly after when the machine is done.

minuteman

The Distrib. for Genesis down in Ause. sets them up with a 59 in them, his look real nice, and they have dual sliding side doors on them.

I would check with a dealer for the weight specs.

But why would you get ride of that big box truck?

Hope this helps,

Greg

The reason I'm looking for a new ride is, for one a newer truck even though ours is in excellent condition and fuel(mpg). I average 6/7 mpg with machine running on same tank. 24-26 gallons for 170/190 miles. I might sell our truck complete with machine. Just running some numbers as this time.

I just got off the phone with Freightliner and they have a 12 ft box Sprinter that gets 16/18 mpg. Price is fair @ $24k. Then another 1300 for the side door. Decisions decisions.

The Preacher

look at a chevy cut away with the Duramaxx as another option.

Jim on here said he got over 20mpg towing a 5k boat with his equipment in the van doing the tow!!!

danpauselius

The "brand new" diesels are mandated to run on "ultra low sulfur diesel". This technology has not yet been perfected by the manufacturers. I'm being told that the expected fuel mileage is currently about the same for new diesels and new gas engines. The difference is about $7K for the diesel engine up front.

However, if you plan to keep this truck for a VERY long time, you may find the $7K is worth it because the diesel will last much longer. Although, a brand new gas crate engine installed by the dealership will run you about the same.

Sounds like a wash if you plan to run the truck over 200K miles before you unload it.

this is some photos of a sprinter we did to give you some ideas on lay out.

Picture1819499757222222.jpg

Picture1819499751-1.jpg

Picture1819499731.jpg

untitled455888.jpg

Picture1819499744.jpg

Leslie,

Looks good but small. What engine and HP is that on the machine? What blower?

I think we're leaning towards the 12 ft box Sprinter. They are telling me 16/18 mpg.

Jack May

That Kiwi
Name
John
Definately get a dual side door model regardless of van or box body.

I have the 313 (3500 wheel base and 130BHP engine) and love it.

What ever you do, a solid heat and vapour proof cargo barrier is a MUST.

We also got the floor fibreglassed for water proofing and then I carpeted it (well most of it, like all things, it was rushed into service and 2.5 years later it still doesn't have the carpet down on the back floor :oops: )

I have Genesis 59 in there coming out the side door. I have the machine set back the width of the hose reel from the cargo barrier. This gives very ready access to the hose reel and the front of the machine. That leaves the whole of the back free for chem shelves and such like.... not that there's ever any space available!!!!!

I don't have photos and it's my tech's vehicle now so not able to get them really easily and we're also flat out too.

Talk to Jim Bethel at PowerClean Aus as mentioned above and they might be able to get you some photos and ideas. They were using the Sprinter (Mercedes Benz down under) but are now using the Iveco Daily... just google it. It is the heavy vehicle brand under the Fiat umbrella I believe but they are also similar specced vehicles and better pricing at least over here.

Iveco also do a PTO ready version if that interests you if you're considering custom building your own machine too.... just a thought. They come in variations of van body like above or cab chassis ready for a custom box to be fitted.

John

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom