Tom Meyer and his new truckmount

Mikey P

Administrator
I found it kind of cool and interesting that Tom Meyer, a guy who grew up in a carpet cleaning family, has been on the boards since day one and has the cash to buy any truckmount he wants, picked up a brand new Sapphire 570 a few weeks ago.
He basically wore out his fuel fired Steamway 2100. He got years and years of good use out of it I'm sure. Bought it during the Blue Crew Board Hype era no doubt.

I'm a bit curious as to why he chose the 570, a great choice but I'm still curious when he could have had some Texan goober make him a machine with virtually all the same components for half the cost.

So Tom, tell us a bit about your history and why you picked this new unit over the rest and how it's been working for you so far.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xPY9N5oVFI

Jim Martin and Dave Gill have a 570 as well, so feel free to chime in

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
I met Tom at MF10, nice guy! Congrats Tom!

Rick Aranda walked me through the 570 at MF10 too. He said it would be comparable to what we are currently using but with newer technology. The 570 would be my choice for replacement for our units. :icon_cool:

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: JS41035
J

JS41035

I found it kind of cool and interesting that Tom Meyer, a guy who grew up in a carpet cleaning family, has been on the boards since day one and has the cash to buy any truckmount he wants, picked up a brand new Sapphire 570 a few weeks ago.
He basically wore out his fuel fired Steamway 2100. He got years and years of good use out of it I'm sure. Bought it during the Blue Crew Board Hype era no doubt.

I'm a bit curious as to why he chose the 570, a great choice but I'm still curious when he could have had some Texan goober make him a machine with virtually all the same components for half the cost.

So Tom, tell us a bit about your history and why you picked this new unit over the rest and how it's been working for you so far.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xPY9N5oVFI

Jim Martin and Dave Gill have a 570 as well, so feel free to chime in

You would go with 570s over butler?

Able 1

Name
Keith
Kubota's on the Apex have to be choked even when warm, surprised he didn't pull it.. Unless he ran it before the vid.. Do you guy's that have this unit have to choke them?

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
Kubota's on the Apex have to be choked even when warm, surprised he didn't pull it.. Unless he ran it before the vid.. Do you guy's that have this unit have to choke them?

only in the morning on the first job....after that I just turn the key for the rest of the day..................

Reactions: Jerry and Able 1

rwcarpet

Supportive Member
Name
Robert Hodge
Just curious.....do current TM's still have throttles that turn? I had figured that with fuel injection, everything was button or switch controlled.

Even my "new" 2010 Thermalwave Vortec II has no throttle, or choke.

q4_zpsf39b1c5e.jpg

Able 1

Name
Keith
Just curious.....do current TM's still have throttles that turn? I had figured that with fuel injection, everything was button or switch controlled.

Even my "new" 2010 Thermalwave Vortec II has no throttle, or choke.

Instead you have lots of wires.. I'll take a carb!:winky:

SamIam

Name
sam miller
For 25k I hope he's doing more then 2 jobs a day?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

SamIam

Name
sam miller
I was looking at prolinesupply.com truckmounts and the list prices and shat myself!

Pound for pound cost more than a Ferrari. Still looks like Tom got a great machine lotsa suck and heat.

So Mike your V/AT has a #6 blower spinning at 2000 rpm producing 600 cfm?

Do you think it has more suck than say a SS870 with its alleged 770 cfm?

or even an everest 650?

Also if one were to get a box truck and put the bigger machine in wouldn't they be spending the same amount almost as the AT cost anyway?

The SS unit spins its blower 3600 rpm, the prochem 650 says 3125 rpm same blower,

Which one lasts longer at those rpm??? Hay Larry chime in!

Wandslinger

Name
Tom Meyer
Gentleman,

Sorry for the delay, I was camping with another BDCC.

So here it goes. I had my Powermatic for roughly 12 years. The waste tank was starting to implode on me as well as other issues. Just the tank alone cost me 2k in jobs in the two days I was out. My Steamway distributor is about an hour and half away. I decided to cut my loss knowing full well I was about to get a new machine one day soon. My actual nearest distributor is 20 minutes away and carries both Saphire, Prochem and Masterblend. I was really interested in the El Diablo but using Kero just wasn't appealing to me especially at almost $7.00 a gallon (55 gallon drum delivered to my residential house). The reason why I chose the 570 over the 370 because I owned a Prochem Legend prior to my Powermatic and it was really disappointing from a performance stand point. I regretted not upgrading to a Performer at the time. This time I figured I wouldn't screw around and wanted a machine I would be happy with for at least the next 7 years. I'm done after that.

My decision was based mainly on the close proximity of my distributor, having Jim Martin swear by the machine and having his direct cellphone number (I really respect the guy with his knowledge), having Rick Aranda's personal cell because I will bust his chops if something happens and other happy board members.

The machine cost me $24,500 plus tax. That included install and having my old machine delivered on a pallet to my house (free of charge). Total $26,700... As some of you know this is a part time gig for me. The money I make from cleaning is all gravy and I've been using the money to build passive income through rental houses and hard money loans. The 27k was definately a bump in the road but I paid cash. I figure 3 to 4 months of cleaning and its paid for itself minus labor and time of course. That's at a zero cost basis but I believe at the end of my run I should be able to get a few bucks for it.

I think sometimes we get caught up too much in the numbers. The return on the amount of money these machines produce are sickening. You have to look at the long term not just the immediate cost. Maybe that's why I'm just a part time cleaner and not a true self employed businessman, lol.

Now for the machine. Its definitely an ass kicker. Maybe the burner on my Steamway wasn't working correctly because the heat on the 570 is insane. I think it might even get hotter. I will admit I was a bit hesitant coming from an oil burner to a heat exchanger but my concern has been eradicated. I only have 18 hours on it so I'm still in the honeymoon stage. I will post again later down the road whether good or bad.

Cheers!

Last edited:

SamIam

Name
sam miller
Ya I'll try to see you tomorrow and see it in real world operation. You do know it was over a 100 degrees out here today? hope your rental has A/C turned on or we can watch as my son goes to work!

SamIam

Name
sam miller
You know I could always give you my old 405 and say 20k and call it macaroni???

Wandslinger

Name
Tom Meyer
No kidding, I went through there while coming back from Lake Tahoe. Holy crap. I'm going to knock it out in the morning.

SamIam

Name
sam miller
300 Cfm 220 ATW
ume7unaq.jpg
7u9e6y8a.jpg

Mind you the Cfm was after 50 of 2.5 inch hose and 50ft of 2 inch lots of suck and tremendous heat the machine was pegging out at 280 ATM in full diverter mode with it off it sat at 220.

Also tried the 360i on olefin carpet really easy to use a dream compared to a Drimaster and rx20

Thanks Tom for letting me play with your new toy

Last edited:

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
So the SS 570 is a single wand machine? The true dual wand machine is the SS870?

from there site..........

Specifically designed as a dual-wand unit for residential and commercial applications, the 570SS has the capacity to serve your business needs for years to come. Powered by a liquid-cooled 31 HP Kubota gasoline engine, the 570SS utilizes a tube-and-shell heat exchanger plus the Sapphire patent pending Thermal Well system to capture all the heat you need to tackle the toughest cleaning jobs. This unique technology keeps the engine and blower cooler, extending component life and reducing maintenance, keeping you on the job making money rather than at your service location spending it.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom