Top 3 General use protectors

CJ-FL

Name
CK-FL
First and foremost I have a feeling everyone is going to state that each product has its strengths, weaknesses, and scenario where it would be the best option (natural fiber vs synthetic, etc...)

HOWEVER, if you could choose only 1 “General Use” protector for carpet & upholstery (not tile, grout, or stone), which would it be. Factors to consider are safety for both technicians and hone owners, overall effectiveness and cost.

Now that I’ve got you thinking, what would be your top 3 in numerical order? Thanks in advance

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
Why didn't we get 3rd place ? :headscratch:

Now we have the Impregnator with UV absorber for outdoor tiles that bleach out in the sun.

http://www.cobbcarpet.com/zen/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=78&products_id=5150
Impregnator.jpg

Last edited:

D Luke

Supportive Member
Name
Derek

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
Is the grout and stone Ultraseal really the same as the carpet Ultraseal?

Derek; It is now the same product. Let us know how the testing went.

Ron; Toxicity is not in the solvent.

Breathing any type of fluorochemical can cause lung issues.

Last edited:

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
Derek; It is now the same product. Let us know how the testing went.

Ron; Toxicity is not in the solvent.

Breathing any type of fluorochemical can cause lung issues.
I agree with not breathing any protector, flourochemical or not. Are you telling me your solvent is non toxic? The problem with solvent protectors is that the solvent fumes hang in the air a lot longer than water based products. They usually atomize into finer particles. You should always wear an appropriate respirator when spraying any protector.

Reactions: Desk Jockey

Tom Forsythe

All that I have heard over the years from raw material suppliers, sales data, etc. indicate that Scotchgard, Maxim Advanced, and Advanced Protector with Teflon lead the way for carpet protectors. Since we make both Maxim Advanced and Advanced Protector with Teflon, I can tell you the Maxim Advanced is ahead of Advanced Protector with Teflon.

Our solvent based protector Maxim Fine Fabric is not even close. Of course, our formula is not legal to sell (cleaner is free to use without penalty) in 18 states with about 50% of the population. Our label instructions do not include use on carpet. Years ago we decided not to add a low vapor pressure solvent to the formula any more so that it could be legal in 17 of the 18 states. We had developed Maxim Advanced for Upholstery with Dye Loc (water-based) and were pleased with its performance and the fact that it was legal in all states, even California. The low vapor pressure solvent needed to be 40% of the solvent based formula, which slowed down dry times and would be a slip hazard on carpets while it waited to dry. We used the savings from the more expensive low VOC solvent to increase the percentage of fluorochemical solids improving performance for those 32 states where it is not restricted. Maxim Fine Fabric has great water and oil repellency on upholstery for those 32 states which have the opportunity to buy it.

Currently, most solvent based protectors are still using C8 material manufactured before Dec. 31, 2015. Once this runs out, they will be forced to used an EPA approved (C6)formula with T-butyl Acetate. I have a sample of this on my desk that I have smelled as I write this sentence. T-Butyl Acetate is a VOC , yet is exempt from California VOC laws. It is very volatile with the flash point at 39 degrees F compared with Odorless Mineral Spirits at around 120 degrees F. If customers complain now at solvent odors, then just wait until they get a whiff of T-butyl Acetate. Its benefit is that it will dry very fast. Most will be forced to use it in a vacant house with open windows, outside on the patio or take furniture back to a paint booth type area back at their plant. Hopefully, the upholstery industry is working on discontinuing fabrics that shrink or pucker with water as this is one area of concern with using water-based upholstery protectors.

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
A large group of people in Florida used our Ultraseal Impregnator on a lot of sq. ft. of tile at the MikeyFest.

I heard no complaints about the odor of the Impregnator.

The solvent odor is less than Odorless Mineral Spirits,
due to the lower level of aromatics.

Any comments from those that actually attended the tile sealing demo ?

Mikey P

Administrator
You may not want to open that can of worms Larry.

After that debacle, we'll not be sealing any more floors at my events.

No fault of your product, rather an uncontrollable situation, leading to a rather large clean up effort the following day of foot prints tracks.

CJ-FL

Name
CK-FL
All that I have heard over the years from raw material suppliers, sales data, etc. indicate that Scotchgard, Maxim Advanced, and Advanced Protector with Teflon lead the way for carpet protectors. Since we make both Maxim Advanced and Advanced Protector with Teflon, I can tell you the Maxim Advanced is ahead of Advanced Protector with Teflon.

Our solvent based protector Maxim Fine Fabric is not even close. Of course, our formula is not legal to sell (cleaner is free to use without penalty) in 18 states with about 50% of the population. Our label instructions do not include use on carpet. Years ago we decided not to add a low vapor pressure solvent to the formula any more so that it could be legal in 17 of the 18 states. We had developed Maxim Advanced for Upholstery with Dye Loc (water-based) and were pleased with its performance and the fact that it was legal in all states, even California. The low vapor pressure solvent needed to be 40% of the solvent based formula, which slowed down dry times and would be a slip hazard on carpets while it waited to dry. We used the savings from the more expensive low VOC solvent to increase the percentage of fluorochemical solids improving performance for those 32 states where it is not restricted. Maxim Fine Fabric has great water and oil repellency on upholstery for those 32 states which have the opportunity to buy it.

Currently, most solvent based protectors are still using C8 material manufactured before Dec. 31, 2015. Once this runs out, they will be forced to used an EPA approved (C6)formula with T-butyl Acetate. I have a sample of this on my desk that I have smelled as I write this sentence. T-Butyl Acetate is a VOC , yet is exempt from California VOC laws. It is very volatile with the flash point at 39 degrees F compared with Odorless Mineral Spirits at around 120 degrees F. If customers complain now at solvent odors, then just wait until they get a whiff of T-butyl Acetate. Its benefit is that it will dry very fast. Most will be forced to use it in a vacant house with open windows, outside on the patio or take furniture back to a paint booth type area back at their plant. Hopefully, the upholstery industry is working on discontinuing fabrics that shrink or pucker with water as this is one area of concern with using water-based upholstery protectors.
So with all that being said.... if you had to outfit your crew with only 1 of those to use on both carpet and upholstery?

steve_64

You may not want to open that can of worms Larry.

After that debacle, we'll not be sealing any more floors at my events.

No fault of your product, rather an uncontrollable situation, leading to a rather large clean up effort the following day of foot prints tracks.
Why have we not heard of this before? It's something I had been looking forward to being a part of to see how it's done.

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
I don't think it's possible to provide enough guarantee with just one product. I feel that there's 2 scenarios, and two different price options:

1. Ultraseal (higher price) on carpet if the house is empty for 24hrs for people who just bought or rented it and are about to move in.
2. Water based (budget price) (from all my testing, Interlink's protectors are the best) for people who will have the carpet cleaned every 9-12months and currently reside in home.

Reactions: Lint Basket

Mikey P

Administrator
Why have we not heard of this before? It's something I had been looking forward to being a part of to see how it's done.
Watch my two videos.

And the truth of the matter is, I've cleaned enough un-sealed grout to the point that I'm convinced that modern grout with all it's additives, doesn't benefit all that much from sealing.

The Mikey has been dropped.

Tom Forsythe

Times have changed!! It used to be that most carpet in homes worthy of protecting was nylon so a protector with an acid dye resistor was a great choice. Now you have a more expensive type of polyester called triexta (oil loving fiber) being installed in more and more homes. Maxim Advanced for nylons, Advanced Protector with Teflon for triexta which also works very well on synthetic upholstery. Natural fiber upholstery generally needs a more specialized protector based on bleeding and shrinkage concerns.

However, if you have trained your customers and technicians on the importance of repellency then the Advanced Protector with Teflon could be your every day protector.

Reactions: CJ-FL

Tom Forsythe

Greenguard is a polymer based protector without fluorochemical like our Encapuguard Green and Maxim SOS. The strength of these formulas is soil resistance and stain resistance on nylon and wool. None of them have any water or oil repellency. They do meet the "green" profile of third party certifying organizations.

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Greenguard is a polymer based protector without fluorochemical like our Encapuguard Green and Maxim SOS. The strength of these formulas is soil resistance and stain resistance on nylon and wool. None of them have any water or oil repellency. They do meet the "green" profile of third party certifying organizations.
Tom, I thought that polymer based products do not pass the "green" certificate.

Tom Forsythe

Polymer is a broad classification in the chemical world as many things are called polymers. In our specialized cleaning world polymers are the class of ingredients used to make encapsulates and impart soil resistance with residual. One of the polymers we use in our encapsulated formulas also exhibits stain resistance (considered an acid dye resistor) and is used in our Encapuguard Green and Maxim SOS. There are other ingredients that also need to be green for them to be classified as a green product. We used 4 different polymers in our various encapsulated formulas and all are considered green by third party certifications. Encapuguard Green and Greenguard are have a third party certification, both with EPA DfE (Safer Choice is the new name).

Lint Basket

Name
Scott Mckay
To answer the question of the thread with one protection product would insinuate there is a "one stop shop solution fits all" for fiber care. Do you use the same pre-spray on wool, Nylon, PET, PTT and Olefin? All fibers have different needs and characteristics for proper maintenance, protectors are part of proper maintenance and have different attributes that are better suited for different fibers. As a 9.5 - 10 ph pre-spray can become your most dominantly used for synthetics, so to can a great flouropolymer become your main got to but, keeping in mind, it is not the only solution. I like all protectors from Cobb, Maxim(Tom's line of products) and FPA depending on fiber type and client situation.

Reactions: J Scott W
Back
Top Bottom