Tracking ur trucks w/ GPS

G

George V

I'm going multi-truck next week (maybe) and bought a cheap-o gps to track my truck. http://www.zoombak.com

I'll be pissed if he's out doing side jobs with my fuel, chems and equipment.

Anyone else using gps to track their equipment or am i just being a control freak?

zoombak-actual-size-lg.jpg

dgardner

Name
Dan Gardner
I'm curious, are you going to tell him up front he's being tracked, or do it covertly?

GeneMiller

Name
gene miller
I have a friend with a large a/c firm and he uses a system that can track a whole slue of things. One think he found out was that some techs after a job were sitting for up to an hour in one spot with the truck running. In the long run it has saved him money.

gene

Name
Jesse
We track our vehicles, works good for stopping lots of types of waste. It's far from a supervisor but it does assist.

Why waste $100+ on a unit so poorly designed for your intended application?

Steve Toburen

Supportive Member
Durango, Colorado/Santiago, Dominican Republic
Name
Steve Toburen
George V said:
I'm going multi-truck next week (maybe) and bought a cheap-o gps to track my truck. http://www.zoombak.com

I'll be pissed if he's out doing side jobs with my fuel, chems and equipment.

Anyone else using gps to track their equipment or am i just being a control freak?

zoombak-actual-size-lg.jpg
George,
Being a "control freak" can be a good thing for everyone involved IF you do it right. Many of our multi-truck SFS members are implementing on-line, real-time GPS tracking of their vehicles.

A good GPS system will inform you (immediately by cell phone if you wish) if your people are going over the speed limit or off of a pre-programmed route. It can also let you know when the machine is running and the total number of hours a day and will automatically track maintenance for you also. An additional benefit of real-time GPS tracking is you can know instantly on the screen where each crew is in the event of an emergency call like a water damage.

HOWEVER, no one should be lulled into a false sense of security just with GPS simply because only tracking where the vehicle is does not let you know what is going on inside the house and that is where the real potential for abuse occurs. We call it "side work" in SFS and it is the hidden cancer of this industry.

The way you handle this doing extra work for cash (whether you use GPS tracking or not) is with "friendly" unannounced random, "just stopping by" checks. Check where your employee is going to be, stop by unannounced and just walk in on them. Pick up the work order clipboard and heaven help them if they are cleaning in an area that is not written on the work order.

Simply put- it is all about adding "accountability" to your company. The problem is your techs quickly learn they can be "loose cannons" out there and they create their own 'little kingdoms". Real-time GPS tracking is a useful tool in this but not the only solution.

Steve
www.SFS.JonDon.com

PS George, IF you are interested in this "Adding Employee Accountability to Your Company" issue you can download a free 8 page checklist I did up right here:

http://sfs.jondon.com/2999/resources/sp ... ur-company

People tell me the ideas in it have saved them a lot of grief with their employees.

tmdry

Name
Bill Martins
Put it on the Zipper and give us the login info, so we can all know where it is. :mrgreen:

G

George V

I'm curious, are you going to tell him up front he's being tracked, or do it covertly?
i'll tell him straight-up that i'm tracking the truck. certainly, he'll understand.

Why waste $100+ on a unit so poorly designed for your intended application?
sort of an impulse purchase while at PepBoys the other day.

The unit cost $99 plus Lifetime tracking of $349. Thought it might be a good way to test the waters before going all out.

Hopefully, I'll be getting a new truck like Jim Martins' next year. I'll do that one up right!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom