Trust worthy mechanics?

Al

Are they hard to find or what!

I was about to put a TM in my 1ton van, its in great shape looks

wise, nice lettering and all.

I took it to the garage I had been doing business with and after a lot testing and computerized result, I needed an engine.

He wanted 3500, I think? I trust this guy and was getting ready to do it and Scott told me to get a couple more opinions.

So I check with GMC it was over 7000. and I paid again for testing

Found a guy that said it didn't need a new engine and he could fix it for 1500. bucks...cash.... not my kind of deal..

Just kept using it for a few months and ran into a home mechanic, that excepts checks and gives receipts!

I just got it back, runs like a top! He said it's a very strong engine and recommends that I put another TM in it! It's fine.

$345. bucks. That was worth the wait :D

Now I can get some sweet rims or something to jazz it up.

Scott

:D :D :D :D

We had a Chevy van a few years back and the licensed mechanic drove it a couple of miles and said "you need a new engine". No tests except his "experience".

Something didn't seem right because it was working fine a few days earlier. It lost power seemingly overnight.

Took it to another guy - not licensed. Guy ran it down the road a couple of miles, pulled out the #8 cylinder spark plug and showed me it was broken in half. I gave him $97 for his assessment and $3 for the plug. We were both giddy.

I'm not ragging licensed techs, just like to get a 2nd opinion (or more) when something doesn't seem right.

Glad to hear it, Al! Did he say what he fixed?

Scott

G

I have the best mechanic there is...right in my shop! I keeps him busy for the most part, wit all my "projects" but any spare time he has he is welcome to use my shop along wit all my tools for..."side jobs"...

It works out great for both of us!

danpauselius

As an ex-ASE certified (in 5 areas) tech, I can tell you what the real problem is. Most of these guys are not crooks, they're just lazy. Countless times I've seen Senior Master technicians misdiagnose a problem because "they've seen it a million times". The problem with that type of diagnosis is that they never verify their suspicions.

Sometimes, the guys with the most experience are the ones who do this most often. I worked with one of the most academically recognized Ford techs in NY. He was making no less that $100,000 a year and I don't remember him working many full days. I had to re-diagnose a brake light concern because he assumed he knew what the problem was. Turned out it was just a brake light switch connection.

p.s. I priced a new engine for my 99 E350 from the dealer ... $8500 total. Bought a new truck, LOL. Now my father drives that truck and now that there is no load in it, it'll probably last a few more years.

G

My mechanic charges me $250.00 to assemble a small ford 302 motor and another $450.00 to put it in and get it running correctly...i buy all the parts of course! We take the computer brain and fuel injection off and run a small 2 bl carb....it's really sweet!

Greg Loe

It is hard to find an honest mechanic. My friend took his Volvo to local mechanic and just wanted the oil changed. By the time that mechanic was finished my friends bill was around $4500.

The mechanic tried to stick him with the bill. The mechanic tried to service his transmission (with out consent) and pulled a bolt he thought he could fill the trany from and that bolt was holding 3rd gear.

The mechanic would never admit he did it. He also replaced an engine mount (with out consent, again).

Then he said he'd split the bill with my friend.

Long story short, took 6 weeks to get his car fixed and paid for. The mechanic had to pay for all work. It included a new transmission.

RichardnTn

I do all of my own mechanic work....had one distributor cost me 2 trips to $^%#$*, 2 days work and $300. That's is where a good distributor comes in.... talk to their mechanic on the phone if you can't diagnose the problem and then with his info...fix it.... Richard R

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom