Upholstery drill brush attached to pump up?

Mardie

Name
Mardie VanBree
That rig is a pretend reflection of the VonSchrader Esprit upholstery cleaning machine. I personally cant see how all professional upholstery cleaners do not have the VS Esprit in their arsonal.

Mardie

Name
Mardie VanBree
I have a VS Esprite for sale. If you put that much foam on a chair or any uph, you bet 1-2 hrs dry time!
How old is your machine? The one i use has a vacuum to suck of the foam and extract the soils. I always use fans and the upholstery is dry before i get my next piece done and the last piece i do is dry or mostly dry before i leave depending on the fabric. Do you use VS chems?

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
interesting that they chose a chair with fabric that can be cleaned with a GARDEN hose ...:lol:
..L.T.A.
A good garden hose is one of the best yet least practiced tools of the trade :razz:

The whole hysteria about wet cleaning fabric has been way over emphasized. Most fabrics (probably 95%) are best cleaned wet. And just like carpet cleaning, the more water goes through and flushes the fabric- the better and healthier will be the cleaning results.

The trick is not letting the filling material get wet. Which, with the right technique (not SS tools that does not get the fabric flushed well IMHO) can be easily accomplished.

As for the other 5%. Yes, by all means apply the other methods, tools and techniques of your fancy.

Last edited:

Mardie

Name
Mardie VanBree
A good garden hose is one of the best yet least practiced tools of the trade :razz:

The whole hysteria about wet cleaning fabric has been way over emphasized. Most fabrics (probably 95%) are best cleaned wet. And just like carpet cleaning, the more water goes through and flushes the fabric- the better and healthier will be the cleaning results.

The trick is not letting the filling material get wet. Which, with the right technique (not SS tools that does not get the fabric flushed well IMHO) can be easily accomplished.

As for the other 5%. Yes, by all means apply the other methods, tools and techniques of your fancy.

The oxidizing effect of water in the drying process is the curse of water cleaning fine fabrics such as upholstery = overall dulling. I know that as long as it all looks even after it is dry that everyone thinks it is clean but until you compare it to the system that i use VS you will not be able to realize just how brilliant the colors and thus the results can be.

The comment you made about the garden hose is outright scary and as far as using your so called "right technique" so the filling and metal buttons do not get wet BS. The very nature of HWE requires that large volumes of water are necessary to flush soils from the fabric or carpet in order to accomplish a proper flush and extraction. Could be that your "right technique" employs some sort of magic force shield to stop the water from getting behind the base of the fabric or your "right technique requires you to skim so fast that the water dose not penetrate and thus dose not clean and flush properly or your statement is so rehearsed that you do not realize what you are talking about.
For you to even suggest that 95% of fabric is best cleaned with a water flush hwe (wet) is laughable. Just because you can get away with it dose not mean that it produces the best results. What a pain in the ass it must be using a water flush cleaning method on fabric. That said i can honestly say that i can count on one hand how many times that i would have been better of using hwe for fabric.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
The oxidizing effect of water in the drying process is the curse of water cleaning fine fabrics such as upholstery = overall dulling. .

have a documented source for that one, Mardie??
BTW, do you shampoo your polyester leisure suits or wash them in the laundry??

..L.T.A.

jcooper

Name
Jerry Cooper
Is it just me or does every post Mardie makes involve the, "von schrader" system and how anybody not using it is clueless?

Everyone I know that has ever used the "von schrader" system did it 15 years ago!

Mardie

Name
Mardie VanBree
Is it just me or does every post Mardie makes involve the, "von schrader" system and how anybody not using it is clueless?

Everyone I know that has ever used the "von schrader" system did it 15 years ago!
It must be just you because very few posts i make do i mention the VS system and i have never said or implied that anyone on this board is clueless. Where do you get this sh-t from anyway? FYI this board is not designated or exclusive to hwe. It is for carpet cleaners and for carpet cleaners to share their experiences and knowledge which is good for everyone involved.

Mardie

Name
Mardie VanBree
Just your implications of what you say water does to fabrics would imply that we are all clueless.
I dont see it that way at all.I just stated what i believe to be the truth as i see it based on my knowledge and experiences. The funny thing is that you are willing to blindly discredit me and defend your system without regards to what may or may not be the best thing you can do to become a high end upholstery cleaner.
I know that hwe can give an even look to what they clean and as far as the client is concerned that is fantastic. Just saying that i believe you can take upholstery cleaning to the next level with the VS system.

Mardie

Name
Mardie VanBree
have a documented source for that one, Mardie??
BTW, do you shampoo your polyester leisure suits or wash them in the laundry??

..L.T.A.[/QUOTE The only person that was able to give me an answer to this dulling effect mystery was a supplier of TM equipment and supplies. (VS answer was just self serving) When i asked him why the carpet and upholstery had a dulling effect to it after it dried he told me that it was the oxidizing effect of the water that caused that. To me that is no big deal but if you are dealing with strong vibrant colors such as rugs or upholstery and IF you want to make them pop VS is the way to go in my opinion.All my judgments on this dulling effect thing comes from my own visual comparisons and that dont lie.

BTW,do you prefer a wand or rotary tool when doing your laundry?? lol

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
The oxidizing effect of water in the drying process is the curse of water cleaning fine fabrics such as upholstery = overall dulling. I know that as long as it all looks even after it is dry that everyone thinks it is clean but until you compare it to the system that i use VS you will not be able to realize just how brilliant the colors and thus the results can be.

The comment you made about the garden hose is outright scary and as far as using your so called "right technique" so the filling and metal buttons do not get wet BS. The very nature of HWE requires that large volumes of water are necessary to flush soils from the fabric or carpet in order to accomplish a proper flush and extraction. Could be that your "right technique" employs some sort of magic force shield to stop the water from getting behind the base of the fabric or your "right technique requires you to skim so fast that the water dose not penetrate and thus dose not clean and flush properly or your statement is so rehearsed that you do not realize what you are talking about.
For you to even suggest that 95% of fabric is best cleaned with a water flush hwe (wet) is laughable. Just because you can get away with it dose not mean that it produces the best results. What a pain in the ass it must be using a water flush cleaning method on fabric. That said i can honestly say that i can count on one hand how many times that i would have been better of using hwe for fabric.

Oy Mardie.
Unfortunately Willy is not available at the moment.
However................if you didn't make your own posts, somebody would have had to invent you.

Luckily for all..............you enlighten us on a regular basis :icon_razz:

Keep up the good work :icon_rolleyes:

Last edited:

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
"I suppose it is tempting, if the only tool you have is a hammer, to treat everything as if it were a nail." Abraham Maslow 1966
Dry foam, low moisture, encapsulation all have their place as viable methods for cleaning. However, when these methods are used should be what we as professionals determine.

Having but one method in your tool box greatly limits the possibilty of you having the right "tool" for the job.

Reactions: J Scott W

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
The only person that was able to give me an answer to this dulling effect mystery was a supplier of TM equipment and supplies.

yea, i couldn't find any published data either on water evaporation causing oxidizing .
i could find some on the electrolyzed water

VS answer was just self serving

if they have published data , I;d like to see it.
I can't accept "cause they said so" any more than I'd accept "some supplier's" word for it .
Believe it or not, Mardie, a WHOLE LOT of suppliers across the country ...don't know chit

When i asked him why the carpet and upholstery had a dulling effect to it after it dried he told me that it was the oxidizing effect of the water that caused that.

i'd really like to see the source his info came from

To me that is no big deal but if you are dealing with strong vibrant colors such as rugs or upholstery and IF you want to make them pop VS is the way to go in my opinion.All my judgments on this dulling effect thing comes from my own visual comparisons and that dont lie.

Mardie, if I understand from reading your posts, you don't own a portable and have only rented a grocery store porty to clean your home carpets before you got into shampoo the biz
If you could share how many "personal" visual comparisons you've done to observe such "dulling effect" , I;d appreciate it .
I'm also curious if side by side, same upl piece was used when you observed such "dulling effect" , what chems were used and if the HWE side had the benefit of mechanical agitation like your VS upl tool?

BTW,do you prefer a wand or rotary tool when doing your laundry??

I much prefer rotary tool IMMERSION cleaning ....it's called a "washing machine ":errf:
But that's not practical for wall to wall goods

BTW, you mentioned RUGS... there are several top pro rug cleaners here .
I don't know any that are concerned about the "dulling effect" of evaporating water .
and would you believe some of the top rug guys do use a GARDEN hose on rugs that go in the immersion bay??

we can ask to be sure, but I'll bet a nickel they don't "shampoo only" the rugs because of this "dulling effect" someone has convinced you of

..L.T.A.

Last edited:

Mardie

Name
Mardie VanBree
yea, i couldn't find any published data either on water evaporation causing oxidizing .
i could find some on the electrolyzed water

if they have published data , I;d like to see it.
I can't accept "cause they said so" any more than I'd accept "some supplier's" word for it .
Believe it or not, Mardie, a WHOLE LOT of suppliers across the country ...don't know chit

i'd really like to see the source his info came from

Mardie, if I understand from reading your posts, you don't own a portable and have only rented a grocery store porty to clean your home carpets before you got into shampoo the biz
If you could share how many "personal" visual comparisons you've done to observe such "dulling effect" , I;d appreciate it .
I'm also curious if side by side, same upl piece was used when you observed such "dulling effect" , what chems were used and if the HWE side had the benefit of mechanical agitation like your VS upl tool?

I much prefer rotary tool IMMERSION cleaning ....it's called a "washing machine ":errf:
But that's not practical for wall to wall goods

BTW, you mentioned RUGS... there are several top pro rug cleaners here .
I don't know any that are concerned about the "dulling effect" of evaporating water .
and would you believe some of the top rug guys do use a GARDEN hose on rugs that go in the immersion bay??

we can ask to be sure, but I'll bet a nickel they don't "shampoo only" the rugs because of this "dulling effect" someone has convinced you of

..L.T.A.
#1 Dont know about any published data. Dont care not my concern.

#2 To my knowledge VS has not published anything regarding this.

#3 I do not know where he got this info from.

#4 Have made a difference at least once a weak when i redo used home purchases.In a matter of fact i can walk into almost any room or facility and tell weather or not it has been steam cleaned just by the look of the carpet wand marks or no wand marks..Many of the carpets are basically clean exept for all the physical debri, and i can usally brighten the colors by at least 1-3 shades burbers and strong colors show the most dramatic change. Did not do side by side on the spot comparisons. As far as upholstery goes the best comparison i got is what my commercial clients tell me. Much of their upholstery is done on a regular basis and when i take over these jobs from a previous steam cleaner i must say that i even blow myself away. Then after i have done all their upholstery once the dramatic change i made on the first cleaning is no longer apparent.

#5 Nobody has convinced me of this dulling thing. It is my own observation.I am always comparing,that is the only way i can judge myself. In my eyes this dulling thing is as plain as day. How else can you explain why i can make things pop the way i do when compared to hwe. I am not trying to convince anyone anything.This thread has led me to explain why i said something good about the VS upholstery machine.

Name
Danny Strickland
i don't know the age of mine. it has a 2 stage vac, power brush head and it foams well.

i thought i'd use it way more than i do!!!

joey895

Supportive Member
Name
Joey J.
It sounds like you are saying these dulled Colors brighten back up after your cleaning?

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk 2

Scott O

Name
Scott Otis
I have a VS Esprit and it works well. I haven't used it in over a year because I bought a small porty that gives me 210 degrees of hot water and it cleans great and is faster and easier than the VS. I also have the LMX and haven't used that in over two years. I had problems with the foam spitting out and a sprocket kept breaking so I switched to OP cleaning and have been doing that for three years. I haven't noticed any difference in cleaning except that heavily soiled pieces come much cleaner with HWE and OP cleans quicker and better than VS.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
#5 Nobody has convinced me of this dulling thing. It is my own observation.I am always comparing,that is the only way i can judge myself. In my eyes this dulling thing is as plain as day. How else can you explain why i can make things pop the way i do when compared to hwe. I am not trying to convince anyone anything.This thread has led me to explain why i said something good about the VS upholstery machine.

Mardie, how can something that's "dulled" due to oxidation be restored with shampoo?
you're simply cleaning upl that needs cleaned or was cleaned by a poor cleaner ...it has nothing to do with the method pad'ner ...you're talking out of your hat

and you might be surprised that many of us hear all the time, "wow, it's so much better than the what the last guy did"

It's called being an above average cleaner, you knucklehead ...it has nothing to do with the method .
when...IF you ever figure that out, you'll eventually have a TM and your shampoo box will be used only for special purpose ..if at all

..l.T.A.

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Mardie, how can something that's "dulled" due to oxidation be restored with shampoo?
you're simply cleaning upl that needs cleaned or was cleaned by a poor cleaner ...it has nothing to do with the method pad'ner ...you're talking out of your hat

Since we know it ain't the VS Machine.
And it certainly ain't "knucklehead's" cleaning talent or powers of observation.
The only other option may be: Optical Brighteners.

and you might be surprised that many of us hear all the time, "wow, it's so much better than the what the last guy did"

It's called being an above average cleaner, you knucklehead ...it has nothing to do with the method .
when...IF you ever figure that out, you'll eventually have a TM and your shampoo box will be used only for special purpose ..if at all

Larry, please. Your optimism knows no bounds. What are the chances ? :razz:

..l.T.A.

Ahmm..........

Last edited:

Zee

Supportive Member
Name
VS does not use optical brighteners. So what does that leave you with?

Its BS that you walk in a home and right away can tell it was steam cleaned.....many many many good steam cleaners groom out the wand marks completely and leave an even look.

Once try this: when you have an upholstery piece cleaned AND 100% dry, extend your fingers and rub the piece with your palm and fingers! You will have a sticky feel to your hand! And that is what you think is sooomuch cleaner...in fact, all that is your residues that make the fabrick look brighter. I haven't looked for a long while but back then, pretty much all the foam chems we used for VS had optical brighteners in them.

VS has its place in the industry just as many other lame tools do. But it certanly ain't that good as you try to make yourself believe.

Just washed 8 rugs in the washpit and I can tell you, that the garden hose is a great tool to have..

Mardie

Name
Mardie VanBree
I have a VS Esprit and it works well. I haven't used it in over a year because I bought a small porty that gives me 210 degrees of hot water and it cleans great and is faster and easier than the VS. I also have the LMX and haven't used that in over two years. I had problems with the foam spitting out and a sprocket kept breaking so I switched to OP cleaning and have been doing that for three years. I haven't noticed any difference in cleaning except that heavily soiled pieces come much cleaner with HWE and OP cleans quicker and better than VS.
I can see how the porty would be faster and easier but would disagree if you said better. The liquidator system on the LMX needs a lot of tricks to keep it working properly SUCKS one of the main reasons that foam spits is that the vacuum shoe is drawing to much air Hence the brush is dialed down to low for the carpet you are cleaning which raises the vacuum shoe of the carpet which lets to much air in. VS has changed the sprocket to a belt which makes it much quieter and smoother running. I also hope to get a trinity O/P sometime.The only thing i dont like about the O/P is its inability to extract physical debri.The second step of proper vacuuming on large commercial would be very time consuming. As far as cleaning problem carpet i dual process with the Cimex and LMX. This combonation will cut through anything like a hot knife going through warm butter and it is fast.

Mardie

Name
Mardie VanBree
Its BS that you walk in a home and right away can tell it was steam cleaned.....many many many good steam cleaners groom out the wand marks completely and leave an even look.

Once try this: when you have an upholstery piece cleaned AND 100% dry, extend your fingers and rub the piece with your palm and fingers! You will have a sticky feel to your hand! And that is what you think is sooomuch cleaner...in fact, all that is your residues that make the fabrick look brighter. I haven't looked for a long while but back then, pretty much all the foam chems we used for VS had optical brighteners in them.

VS has its place in the industry just as many other lame tools do. But it certanly ain't that good as you try to make yourself believe.

Just washed 8 rugs in the washpit and I can tell you, that the garden hose is a great tool to have..
I do the hand test all the time to make sure i got all the prespray out properly. The only thing i feel is a silky smooth carpet or upholstery. That silky smooth feel always puts a big smile on my face. Do you think that a company like VS would use a product that would leave a sticky residue behind? So tell me do you know what year it is ? A garden hose in a wash pit is much different than taking your clients furniture out back to hose it of . Would you agree?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom