VCT Help

jwfoulk12

Name
Justin Foulk
Hey guys I'm doing my first vct job in 2 weeks and am open to any input or suggestions. I haven't stripped any since I was in high school. It's only 155 sf and only has one coat of finish on it that was applied with a sponge mop and looks horrible. I have stripper, black pads, a 175, mop buckets but no mops and no finish yet, any recommendations? What would you charge for this? All suggestions are appreciated as it's been years since I've done any of this. Thanks in advance.

Blue Monarch

Supportive Member
Name
Dirk Wingrove
Do you have a shop vac w/squeegee to suck up the stripper? How about access to a sam's club? I'm sure I'll get flamed for this, but hey sell finish and it will do the trick. When I use it, I usually put 3-5 coats on. They'll have the mop heads too. I use the blue ones to apply the stripper and mop afterwords. Buy the blue and white ones to apply the finish.

Tough call on the price. I'd probably do $200 for a small job like that.....and that's low because even though it's small, you've got plenty of time invested waiting for finish to dry.

jwfoulk12

Name
Justin Foulk
Thanks, I do have a SAMs club. What is the shelf life of finish though? I have some but it's probably 10-15 years old. I have both shop vac and squeegee but was just gonna rinse with the truck mount since it's such a small job and only one coat of finish on it. I bid it at $1.25 a foot with 3 coats of wax.

Blue Monarch

Supportive Member
Name
Dirk Wingrove
No idea on shelf life. I'd be timid to use something that old tho. I think the finish will run u $26 or so for 2.5 gallons. Plenty for that job

Shane Deubell

Supportive Member
Thanks, I do have a SAMs club. What is the shelf life of finish though? I have some but it's probably 10-15 years old. I have both shop vac and squeegee but was just gonna rinse with the truck mount since it's such a small job and only one coat of finish on it. I bid it at $1.25 a foot with 3 coats of wax.

10 years is definitely too long for shelf life of anything.

Seeing you are a rookie i would scrub it real good, 3 passes to make sure. Pick up a couple hand scrapers for the corners. You can pick up cheap waxing kits at home depot, not sure of sams. Put a garbage bag in bucket for the wax.

We usually get hosed on jobs like this, waiting for finish to dry is a killer. We will put a blower at 45 degree angle to speed it up.

jwfoulk12

Name
Justin Foulk
10 years is definitely too long for shelf life of anything.

Seeing you are a rookie i would scrub it real good, 3 passes to make sure. Pick up a couple hand scrapers for the corners. You can pick up cheap waxing kits at home depot, not sure of sams. Put a garbage bag in bucket for the wax.

We usually get hosed on jobs like this, waiting for finish to dry is a killer. We will put a blower at 45 degree angle to speed it up.

The garbage bag in the bucket as a liner? Or do u mean to cover it to prevent it from drying out? Also with the blower do u ever get ripples in the wax? Thanks for the input everybody.

Mardie

Name
Mardie VanBree
The garbage bag in the bucket as a liner? Or do u mean to cover it to prevent it from drying out? Also with the blower do u ever get ripples in the wax? Thanks for the input everybody.

Use the garbage bag as a liner and then while you are waiting between coats fold it over to cover the mop and wax to prevent from drying out. For fans take your fan and blow it on all the walls to blow of all the loose dust before you start then after you lay down your coats of wax wait 5-10 min. then aim the fan up and away from the floor. All you need is an air turbulence in the room. Turn the heat up if you can.

Shane Deubell

Supportive Member
Use the garbage bag as a liner and then while you are waiting between coats fold it over to cover the mop and wax to prevent from drying out. For fans take your fan and blow it on all the walls to blow of all the loose dust before you start then after you lay down your coats of wax wait 5-10 min. then aim the fan up and away from the floor. All you need is an air turbulence in the room. Turn the heat up if you can.

^^^^^^ What he said, you don't put fans directly on floor. Just shoot it in the air at an angle to create air flow.

Name
Lee Stockwell
Fan directly on floor to dry after strip and rinse. No fans in Beauty shops (was a messy lesson). I never use a wax bucket, just pour it on and spread.

Put the wax mop in a small plastic bag and tie it between uses. I prefer a white towel over any mop head for applying finish.

Mardie

Name
Mardie VanBree
I use a mop head that is made just for applying wax. These mop heads are made for applying wax. That is their only purpose. They are called applicator mops. They are available at any good janitorial supply house.

Willy P

Name
Willy P
I use a mop head that is made just for applying wax. These mop heads are made for applying wax. That is their only purpose. They are called applicator mops. They are available at any good janitorial supply house.

these - but they suck up half a gallon of wasted finish and don't distribute the finish as evenly as the microfiber and are way more wore work. Sorta like cleaning carpet with a VS.......

http://www.checkerscleaningsupply.com/product/00/F5329/20-oz-SILKY-WAX-MOP-HEAD-12case

Shane Deubell

Supportive Member
We like the flat microfiber also.

This is a 1x thing though so im not sure he wants to spend the $$$. You can buy a cheap applicator kit at home depot for $12 for jobs like this.

Mardie

Name
Mardie VanBree
these - but they suck up half a gallon of wasted finish and don't distribute the finish as evenly as the microfiber and are way more wore work. Sorta like cleaning carpet with a VS.......

http://www.checkerscleaningsupply.com/product/00/F5329/20-oz-SILKY-WAX-MOP-HEAD-12case

Willy only amatures and hacks use microfiber flat mops for applying wax.:hopeless: Although they do have their place such as on very small jobs for the reasons you have mentioned about the waste in loading up a professional grade applicator mop. A professional mop will give much better control and a much better and more consistent coverage. Getting around toilets tight corners rough or damaged flooring and doing base boards would be not good with a flat mop.

Willy P

Name
Willy P
Willy only amatures and hacks use microfiber flat mops for applying wax.:hopeless: Although they do have their place such as on very small jobs for the reasons you have mentioned about the waste in loading up a professional grade applicator mop. A professional mop will give much better control and a much better and more consistent coverage. Getting around toilets tight corners rough or damaged flooring and doing base boards would be not good with a flat mop.

That means a lot from a foam hack. But your ignorance is only outdone by you utterly breathtaking stupidity.

Mardie

Name
Mardie VanBree
That means a lot from a foam hack. But your ignorance is only outdone by you utterly breathtaking stupidity.

I can help you Willy BUT you have to ask and you must also be willing to forget all that is swirling around in your mind. IF you arnt the lead dog.....the view never changes.:lol:

Willy P

Name
Willy P
And what would make you think I need help? This was done with a 16 inch microfiber pad with a whole lot less wasted product - a little better than half a gallon.In fact, I did all 1600 sf of that job, 5 coats with less than 5 used. So- how does my purple starfish look and smell from the back rows of the dog team? No licking please. I'm not that kind of dog.:biggrin:

20130210_114229_zpsdd3dc86d.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Shane Deubell

jwfoulk12

Name
Justin Foulk
Thanks for all the input guys. I'll let you know how it turns out :)

jwfoulk12

Name
Justin Foulk
So the floor turned out great, thanks for the info you guys have provided. However I did learn a lesson that wasn't mentioned here that I never thought about. Do you guys tape off the baseboards or what do you do to prevent stripper from splashing up on them?

jwfoulk12

Name
Justin Foulk
Once it was on there if I didn't get it right away it was pretty much stuck on and if I really scrubbed it it took the paint off as well. Needless to say I'm paying to have some trim repainted.

Shane Deubell

Supportive Member
Once it was on there if I didn't get it right away it was pretty much stuck on and if I really scrubbed it it took the paint off as well. Needless to say I'm paying to have some trim repainted.

Paint? what kind of baseboards?

Lonny

Supportive Member
I'll second the microfiber flat mop. Much more even finish than the traditional rayon mop heads. Never had a problem with corners, toilets, etc. Been doing this for 12+ years. As with anything there is a slight learning curve, nothing to be afraid of. Just make sure you bring enough stripper, or strippers( is that plural?).

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom