VCT IN RETAIL OPPOURTUNITY - NEED HELP

takemywandplease

Supportive Member
Name
Rick Davies
Hi folks,
I am new to this forumn but have been in the rug scrubbing business for a while. I primarily do LM using Cimex for commercial and padcapping for residential. I had 49 Borders Book Stores before the went bankrupt. I am trying to get new business and have been offered VCT work as a sub for a large chain of drug stores. I would like advive on both what eqipment I would need and opinions on if the payout Iam being offered is one I could make money on.

Scope of work

Basic Services (Wash & Burnish)

Basic service may be scheduled weekly, bi-weekly, or 2x weekly depending on the location.

This service is to be performed by an auto-scrubber machine; mop and bucket service may be allowed in rare exceptions or on an emergency basis (machine broken) only. Performed properly, the basic service should take approximately 2 hours to complete.

The following tasks are considered to be basic services that a contractor performs:

· Basic service should be performed with two (2) crew members.

· Remove gum and stickers from the floor; pick up all area rugs and store out of the way. Replace when finished.

· Dust mop the entire sales floor including areas behind the registers, counters, photo areas and bathrooms regardless of location within the store . The broom should be used to clean the bathroom floors.

· Auto scrub and restore all respective floor areas. When using an auto scrubber, damp mop corners, edges and squeegee the streaks.

· High-speed buff entire floor area, using spray buff as per manufacturer recommendations.

· Re-sweep or dust mop floor areas, if necessary.

Pay out = $100.00

The offer is for 12 stores to start and this is the info on 1 level of service. There are 3 service levels

Mini Scrub

Monthly Primary Program (9 x yr)

The mini scrub is provided on a monthly basis to maintain the floor’s finish at acceptable levels by performing a scrub and recoat of High Traffic Areas and spray buff the entire floor. The mini scrub takes approximately 3.5 hours to complete. The manager designates 1/3 of the balance of the sales floor to receive service, so that the entire store has received a scrub on a quarterly basis. (Rest of sales floor is cleaned and buffed, as per Other Areas, below).

Mini Scrub - High Traffic Areas

High traffic areas include cash wrap, “raceway,” front of store, front of pharmacy, and the back of the store.

· Mini scrub service should be performed with a minimum of two (2) crew members.

· Remove gum and stickers from the floor; pick up all area rugs and store out of the way. Replace when finished.

· Dust mop all respective floor areas.

· Apply restoring product using manufacturer recommended ratio of ounces per gallon of cool water, to tile floor.

· Scrub floor using a buffer or an auto-scrubber with a green or blue pad, removing embedded dirt and soils. When using an auto scrubber, damp mop corners, edges and squeegee the streaks.

· Rinse floor with cool water.

· Allow to dry.

· Apply two (2) coats of floor finish using a rayon mop, and allow drying between coats.

· Polish the floors to a high shine with a high speed buffer.

Clean any finish residue from covebase, kickplates, fixtures or non-floor surfaces

The pay-outs for these full tile stores are around $100 per W&B service. The Mini Scrubs (completed approx 9 times per year) pay an additional $25 per service ($125 total). Our company supplies all stripper & finish for these services- your company would need to provide the equipment and labor. The stores also receive 1 Full Store Strip & Wax per year ($650 per service).

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Rick

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Shane Deubell

Supportive Member
That sounds pretty rough, best case with drive time you are looking at 5 man hours for $100 or $20 per hour
What is the sqr footage?

Retail vct is a pretty bad market and has been for probably 10 or more years.

But instead of listening to one of us tell you that, what is your Cost Of Service?
Labor- with taxes
Materials
Equipment
Van

For a 1x week service 60% gross profit is a good target.

Reactions: takemywandplease
F

FB7777

Unless you're an illegal, you should toss that offer sheet

The agent selling the contract to the sub is making that much and the only equipment they need is a phone

bigchuckie

May keep you from starving this winter If this is for Walgreens beware they are notoriously slow at paying

takemywandplease

Supportive Member
Name
Rick Davies
Thank You I have had other offers that seemed to low . I really think they (main contracters) are willing to let you take a loss and then move on to the next vendor who may not realize that there is no profit potential but believes a large company would not offer work at a no way to make profit deal.

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
Say it with me and REMEMBER this/these terms..

MMM

Maintenance
Management
Mafia

Key is the last word....These companies get into large corp accts, promising them god knows what ...1 thing is correct 1 place to pay their check to... Other then that its all pretty much BULLSHIT..

Example....

I use to do Family dollars around here...when the MMM came in...they offered me 40% LESS then what i was charging them..

so a buff...$130..less 40% what $85...these jobs took me 1.5-2hr (store sized varied) and i did 2 in 1 night that were close to each other
Strip...$950 less 40% iss $570...these took 3 guys (2 at 4 hrs each) and me there for 6-8

I made decent money, because i had them down pat to a system...plus i already have/had the equipment.

These people have plain F'd up any and all biz with corp accts...and untill someone realizes the issue...(its been 6-7 yrs since i did FD, and 3 MMM and who knows how many subs)

oh did i mention through FD it was a 2 week turn around for money...the MMM wanted 45-60 days....F that.

sooo think about it...they want to pay you a WHOPPING $25 more to scrub and recoat 1/3 of the store...or (as they say and it may or may not be accurate) 1.5 extra hrs....is this man hrs +3 or 45 min each = the 1.5???

either way it is a lose lose lose...on your end

plus the fact that someone is TELLING ME, how to perform my service....KISS MY ASS.........

any questions??? lol

BLewis

Supportive Member
Name
Billy Lewis
I know these guys may seem a little harsh with their responses but I would take close notice of their comments, they have been there done that and most recognize a scam right up front! Heck I haven't even done that type of work but if I had invested in the kind of equipment needed for work like that I would sure want to make alot more than what they are offering. I would recommend like most here have RUN, FAASSSSSTTTTT!

I get calls occassionally from national companies wanting to sub out carpet cleaning for larger department stores and after putting the pencil to a couple of their offers I quickly found out not to even waste the time that it takes for them to hear about their offer. Example I used to clean several Ryans Steakhouses and eventually due to their closings, distances etc. I was down to only one. They gradually went from monthly to bi-monthly, then they hired a national company who subs them out. I think now the bar areas are cleaned bi-monthly and entire store quarterly for $280 or some bull crap. I used to get $450 monthly (included sectional tile and grout cleaning) but this definately was my hardest restaurant account (heavy tables and chairs & lots of them) I thanked my old friend when he gave me the news and explained to him that the only reason I was still doing his store was because he had help me get restarted when I got back in. I was GLAD to see them go.

idreadnought

Supportive Member
Name
Richard
ok you need work. I understand that. Problem is that you will spend your time slaving and have no time to get quality work. You have a cimex, you clean commercial already. Use the time you have to start knocking on commercial doors and find $100 an hour cimex work that you can do by yourself. Even if you spend half the time getting the work and half the time cleaning that still works out to $50 an hour without the hassle of hiring a guy to work with you. Or if you really hate finding work then Hire someone to knock on the doors for you. Pay hime 50% of the job as long as it works out to $100 an hour work. You will still be at $50 an hour versus $20 and you have a good chance of repeat work down the road.

takemywandplease

Supportive Member
Name
Rick Davies
Thank you for your advice. I have have been down this same road with Famouse Footwear. I had about 30 stores paying a minimun of $300.00 and up to $600.00 for large stores then Brown Shoe switched contracters and payouts dropped about 60%. I have been around enough so that I get lots of sub offers and I want to believe one will eventually pay a fair price for quality work, but that ain't gonna happen! I am on call with a few of MMM as Floorguy calls them and I do emergency service ...they offer $90.00 bucks and I counter with $250.00 and they take it.

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
Thank you for your advice. I have have been down this same road with Famouse Footwear. I had about 30 stores paying a minimun of $300.00 and up to $600.00 for large stores then Brown Shoe switched contracters and payouts dropped about 60%. I have been around enough so that I get lots of sub offers and I want to believe one will eventually pay a fair price for quality work, but that ain't gonna happen! I am on call with a few of MMM as Floorguy calls them and I do emergency service ...they offer $90.00 bucks and I counter with $250.00 and they take it.

hahahah I needed a good laugh today.....

Shane Deubell

Supportive Member
Carpet cleaning is completely different from VCT, with encapping you can still make a profit at some retail stores.

Just do the math and make sure you are making a profit.

bigchuckie

That happened to us last summer. A call from a MMM Can u help us? MMM maybe? Custy called and a shopper had an accident on the floor. OK 200 bucks MMM ok just clean it. 10 minutes 200 bucks. They called again 2 wks later You wanna clean the whole 5k for 300?

dealtimeman

Everyday is Saturday.
Name
Michael
If it is a question of providing for your family and this is the only means, then yes. Also if you want to gain some experience then do a couple and see how you like the work. There are very few of us who actually enjoy doing VCT jobs, so make sure you are cut out for the type of work and the hours.

if you think this is going to advance your biz to another level, don't do it. If you think your are going to make a lot of money, don't do it.

juniorc82

Supportive Member
Name
Jon Coret
That sounds like the prices walgreens offerd me. I may as well be sucking grease at restaurant before taking a vct job like that. I would say unless you are really really slow to leave it alone. That is a hell of alot of work for what they want to pay

XTREME1

RIP
Name
Greg Crowley
In the 1700's boats pulled into Africa offering similar opportunities

KevinL

Supportive Member
Name
Kevin Leach
Does anyone know who is ruining the carpet at Kmarts and are they being encapped? They sure aren't coming clean.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom