VCT Tile Question

davep105

Name
Dave Pires
I have a customer that needs 14,000 sq. ft. of new just installed vct tile that needs to be sealed. They arent looking for a brilliant finish just a decent shine and to protect the floor. They are looking for a price for 3 coats. Any ideas of what a fair rate for that would be? Also do I need to first put down a sealer followed by wax. Or will just 3 coats of wax be good enough?

FLYERMAN

Supportive Member
Name
Ken Raddon
Three coats of a good wax a.k.a. floor finish will be just fine for most vct floors. It is a lot like painting however. One coat, even a thin coat, of sealer will make the additional coats of finish work and look better. I would do one coat of sealer and one coat of finish if I was trying to keep the shine down.

Don't forget even tho the floor is new most of them still need to be stripped.

N

NJ104

Any thing between 16-18 cents a square foot was my standard some go as high as 25 cents I would definitly do one coat of sealer and two coats of wax. The sealer is a must no question about that. I would charge them two prices one higher one for the sealer and a lower price for the wax. You prob know this so forgive me for saying this but you must tell them that it is crucial for them to maintain the floor correctly with neutral cleaner which could be something you could sell to them. call it a mainatence package sometime companies look at vct as a cheap thing when it isn't in my opinion. Again you might know this so forgive me for saying but they do sell a wax/sealer that you could use and wax is does come in different grades some are as much as 50 a gallon in fact I think there is one that is 100 a gallon I could be wrong but good luck Stripping and waxing is my fav maybe it was to do that I spend time with my pops that I didn;t before as a kid

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
Depends, on what type of equipment you got....

Me 14k of open space i could do for .10 and walk away with a grin done with me and 1 other guy in about 6 hrs....

But thats me

I would suppose if you are asking the question, you will be doing it with a 175 and shop vac :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

If they will pay .20 or more then you should be happy....it will take you about 2-3 days to....

whats the setup like??? water close? is it open or broke up into sections.....SOOOOO many variables

but yes as ken said....needs a light strip....AKA about 1/4-1/2 of what stripper normally calls for, with a blue, or green, or black pad....with a good rinse

on a side note......why cant i get these "cake" jobs to fall in my lap :x :x :x :x :x :x

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
you dont need sealer anymore....unless its an abused floor...

MOST finishes have built in sealers....

if you can answer the question of whats the difference between the 2 then you know you dont need it.....

Larry B

Name
Larry Burrell
I would like to know what kind of finish you guys are going to apply that will protect the tile with 2 coats?

2 coats of finish will not hold up for crap on vct

joe harper

Name
joe harper
Couple of factors here,....

ALL vct tile REQUIRES that the factory finish be removed & new sealer or wax be applied
to maintain the WARRANTY of the tile... :!:

If you are working for the INSTALLATION contractor...? He will want the BARE minimum
to be applied to the surface....EACH different VCT manufacturer will "SPEC" the criteria..!

If it is the Facility owner that is taking on this responsibility... :?:
UPSELL the VALUE of doing it right... !gotcha!

Either way ....At least .25 to the contractor...SELL the quality of the FINISH being applied...

Facility owner...At least .50sf for the premier service...
Many times "if you are savvy"....you can get them to SPLIT the ticket... !gotcha!

ps If you go too cheep...You can get your ASS BURNED... :shock: Remember this is a NEW floor...! You will be the LAST person to touch it... :idea: ANYTHING that goes WRONG with
this NEW floor will become YOUR problem.. :shock: "CYA" they will EXPECT perfection.. :!:

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
HARPER said:

ALL vct tile REQUIRES that the factory finish be removed & new sealer or wax be applied

If you are working for the INSTALLATION contractor...? He will want the BARE minimum
to be applied to the surface....EACH different VCT manufacturer will "SPEC" the criteria..!

Either way ....At least .25 to the contractor...SELL the quality of the FINISH being applied...

Many times "if you are savvy"....you can get them to SPLIT the ticket... !gotcha!

ps If you go too cheep...You can get your ASS BURNED... :shock: Remember this is a NEW floor...! You will be the LAST person to touch it... :idea: ANYTHING that goes WRONG with
this NEW floor will become YOUR problem.. :shock: "CYA" they will EXPECT perfection.. :!:

I love ya harp...but 7k for a NEW floor???? Most people wont pay that to fix a %^$&#$^% up floor....

got any of that crack left???

oh and 3500 from the installer :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: thats even funnier...they would do it them damn selves for that....ask me how i know :x :x :x :x :x

dealtimeman

Everyday is Saturday.
Name
Michael
Just charge .18 - .20 a square and rent an autoscrubber. Go buy your local supplier and buy a backpack dispensing floor wax system and go to town.

If the installer is the one going to pay you won't win the bid at .18 you will need to be in the less than .10 range.

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
so what happened???

I hate when people dont let you know how their results went

joe harper

Name
joe harper
floorguy said:
HARPER said:

I love ya harp...but 7k for a NEW floor???? Most people wont pay that to fix a %^$&#$^% up floor....

oh and 3500 from the installer :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: thats even funnier...they would do it them damn selves for that....ask me how i know :x :x :x :x :x

"What is REALLY funny or SAD...is "
You cannot find ...or... your business is not qualified to COMMAND these prices...

WE ARE WHAT WE SMOKE...!!! and "I don't own a cRaCk-PiPE"...

Some people think that driving a ROLLS ROYCE is rIdCulASS...
HOWEVER....They are usually sitting in their YUGO ....while making that observation....

ps.. We charge 1.50 to 2.25 ...to Strip & Wax...
We charge accordingly for "*****" work.... :roll:

ps. BTW....."What is the current rate....in the .."WhiTe tRasH"..market.... :lol: :lol: :lol: "

Jeremy

Name
Jeremy
HARPER said:
floorguy said:
HARPER said:

"What is REALLY funny or SAD...is "
You cannot find ...or... your business is not qualified to COMMAND these prices...

WE ARE WHAT WE SMOKE...!!! and "I don't own a cRaCk-PiPE"...

Some people think that driving a ROLLS ROYCE is rIdCulASS...
HOWEVER....They are usually sitting in their YUGO ....while making that observation....

ps.. We charge 1.50 to 2.25 ...to Strip & Wax...
We charge accordingly for "*****" work.... :roll:

ps. BTW....."What is the current rate....in the .."WhiTe tRasH"..market.... :lol: :lol: :lol: "

Wow... Just the shear ignorance & arrogance is mind boggling.

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
ok lemme clarify....

i get that much if i am doing a small 200 sqft place.....

but for 14k, i dont care if you are GOD himself....they are not going to pay that much

because there is not that much of a difference...

Make no mistake about it, i fix other peoples crap, and am known for my work...

but its reality.....and if you can get that much for that big of an area...then allah be praised

davep105

Name
Dave Pires
Sorry guys thanks for all the information. I met with the contractor before I read all these posts. They wanted the place cleaned and scrubbed, a sealer applied, and then 4 coats of finish. I gave my bid for all that .35 cents. I went high because my good friend got my foot in the door and told me to come in on the high side. It was only 13,000 ft.
I looked at the place and the floor seemed to have a finish to it? I was going to scrubb it with a red pad and neutral cleaner, pick it up with wet vac, then apply sealer, come back in couple days and apply floor finish? I know they def want sealer applyed then come back to put down finish in couple days..

joe harper

Name
joe harper
floorguy said:
ok lemme clarify....

i get that much if i am doing a small 200 sq ft place.....

but for 14k, i don't care if you are GOD himself....they are not going to pay that much

because there is not that much of a difference...

Make no mistake about it, i fix other peoples crap, and am known for my work...

but its reality.....and if you can get that much for that big of an area...then allah be praised

Clarify This.... :roll:

http://www.powerprofiles.com/profile/00 ... -LAYTON-UT

How the HELL do you qUaLiFy to offer any ADVICE...with these CREDENTIALS... :oops:

Are you posting from your "YUGO"...now... :?:

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
ohhh so you are grabbing profiles from something the "free" yellow book has screwed up yrs ago....

put me under "floor coverings" :x :x :x a-holes

and i dont have a desire, to be "da man" with all these employees....as i was chatting with someone....

i cant stand to baby sit people....that goes for extra workers, problem/lazy clients/ etc. etc.

joe harper

Name
joe harper
floorguy said:
ohh so you are grabbing profiles from something the "free" yellow book has screwed up yrs ago....

put me under "floor coverings" :x :x :x a-holes

and i don't have a desire, to be "da man" with all these employees....as i was chatting with someone....

i cant stand to baby sit people....that goes for extra workers, problem/lazy clients/ etc. etc.

Just trying to find out ...Who TF....you are....?

I like to know what , I am dealing with...before.....
"My ignorant & arrogant ASS" ..... disassemble your fragile mind... !gotcha!

I don't want to be PiCkInG on a RETARD.... :idea:

ps I can only ASSume you are using YanKuM's biz modle... :roll: Since you been in biz for 25 years...& only make 85k... :cry: At least Dave has a website... :oops:

joe harper

Name
joe harper
Out Of Character said:
Looks like Doug is more successful than yourself Harp! :lol: :lol: :lol:

http://www.powerprofiles.com/profile/00005140286170/HARPERS+CARPET+CLEANING-EUSTIS-FL

These things are always wrong. I've never seen my companies #'s posted correctly anywhere. It's obviously no anywhere close to documented numbers. My gross according to that site is much lower than my payroll.

Nice CHICO.... :roll:

Try having someone that speaks ENGLISH...teach you to google...NOT MY COMPANY... :roll:
Don't make me GET IN THAT ASS... :idea:

4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Ewr4BSTr8Q4]

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
thats years in trade...not years i have been in biz.....

that would be 16....which as i said...i dont have the desire to put up with the crap of running more trucks....

my biz model has gone from anywhere of a 90-10 split vct to carpet, to the other way around and everywhere in between...

From ma and pa type places, to national companies to government contracts....

never ever ever ever ever ever lost an acct based on quality of work.....

1 was because i opened my mouth

the others....

$$$$$$

and corporate assholes.....

I dont do YP, or virtually any type of advertising....web page is on my radar...but so is remodeling the kitchen :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

and so is keeping up with 5 kids, and their hobbies, and a wife who has twice as many irons in the fire as i do....

Do i have a weakness in "sales" sure and i know it...and i will deal with it as i go...

for then, right now and the near future. ill keep my couple days work here and there and make just under 6 figures....and not have very much over head....

thanks though

shiteatinggrin shiteatinggrin shiteatinggrin shiteatinggrin shiteatinggrin shiteatinggrin

joe harper

Name
joe harper
HARPER wrote:

to maintain the WARRANTY of the tile...

If it is the Facility owner that is taking on this responsibility...
UPSELL the VALUE of doing it right...

Many times "if you are savvy"....you can get them to SPLIT the ticket...

ps If you go too cheep...You can get your ASS BURNED... Remember this is a NEW floor...! You will be the LAST person to touch it... ANYTHING that goes WRONG with
this NEW floor will become YOUR problem.. "CYA" they will EXPECT perfection..

oh and 3500 from the installer that's even funnier...they would do it them damn selves for that....ask me how i know

EASYyyyyyyyy There DoUgIE...!

You are the ONE that "Threw the 1st pUnCH"... :idea:

I was offering some advice to the man..."MY OPINION"... !gotcha!
You were INSULTED...because your OPINION differs... :!:

The IGNORANCE is on YOU...! We DO charge those prices... :shock:
The ARROGANCE is on YOU...! To ASSume that the price is too HIGH... that hurts

IDGAS...what U charge or to here your LIFE story..... :idea:

IMO...This is a new cleaner that has :?: :?: :?: about a LARGE job 13000Ksf... :!:
Odds are he will run into to issues....The worst ADVICE to give him is to LOWBALL for
the contract..! If he gets a REASONABLE fee.."He has an INSIDE connection" He will
NOT loose his ASS... :idea:

ps The ONLY reason..I posted the profiles.com link IS....There is NO INFORMATION ON YOUR
COMPANY... :shock: I have been warned you were a DoUcHEbAG before... :shock: I was confusing you with my FREIND.."Doug COX"...But ..I have NEVER called you out... :!: YOU
have every right to express your opinion... 8) Just be prepared for me to "GET IN THAT ASS"
If "I" disagree.... :mrgreen:

"I DON'T sLunK-oFF................." !gotcha!

y]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Ewr4BSTr8Qy]

davep105

Name
Dave Pires
Got the job!!!! It's 12,500 sq. ft. I came down to $4,500...
The contractor messed up on the measurments, he called me this morning and said I had the job at 4,500. With a possible maintainenece plan to go with it and a seperate 1000 ft. on the 2nd floor.

joe harper

Name
joe harper
dave105 said:
Got the job!!!! It's 12,500 sq. ft. I came down to $4,500...
The contractor messed up on the measurments, he called me this morning and said I had the job at 4,500. With a possible maintainenece plan to go with it and a seperate 1000 ft. on the 2nd floor.

NICE JOB......!!!!!!

.36sf....good price....NOW go out there & SHINE...!!!!!!!! "punn intented".... :mrgreen:

Now you can Have Doug.....Drive out from UTAH @.10sf....& sit-on-your-ASS.... :lol:

Maybe you can have Doug do it on a Sunday :idea:

You can call in the scores of the game...from the BAR.... :lol: :lol: :oops:

lance

Dave congrats on getting the job at your price.

So does the factory finish have to be stripped or just scrubbed? What happens if someone doesn't get all the factory finish off before sealing and waxing?

handdi

Supportive Member
Name
Randy
i went up and watched a friend of do 8000 ft in a day he got 30
funny he has been in the bus for 25 yrs
i thought he did pretty good for a days work with a helper
i am sure he walked with 2000 grand in his pocket after wax and chem costs
harp is right you are what ya eat and sleep

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
OMG, is this turning into the ICS board....where people pretend their dick is bigger :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

hey I have always been a pro get what you can guy...

BUT

feeding my family and living in my house doesnt come from a once or twice a year gift..

and I rarely get some of this crazy shit i have heard about just dropped in my lap....every now and then i get it, I do it, knock it out of the park....but then mr Corporate a-hole comes in and changes it around....because if the decisions were left to the locals, i would still have it...

oh well, enough whinning by me !gotcha! !gotcha! !gotcha!

good on ya....now as Hitch said...."its your job not to screw it up"

joe harper

Name
joe harper
Hey DoooGiE...!

Maybe it is NOT a ..."diCk cOnTesT"... :idea:

I Think someone.....has a BIG VaGinA... :shock: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

2]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGjElvt4nP82]

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom