VLMrs and Porty guys, I want to see your vans!

Mikey P

Administrator
Minivans, Transits, Astros etc

Inside photos please.

My new direction in NV may very well be a VLM/Porty route..

The anti connoisseur as you will...

Reactions: Derek

encapman

Name
Rick Gelinas
OK let's do the math. Consider the BIG TRUCK approach that Mike had in California. A modest price tag for a rig like that would be around $100K (or more).

Now let's amortize $100K for 7 years at today's rate of 5.25%. The monthly payment comes to $1425.

That means that your first $1425 doesn't count. You'd need to generate $1425 before you get to zero. The first $1425 goes down the drain - it doesn't exist. And that doesn't even factor fuel, equipment maintenance, or insurance costs for the big truck.

By comparison a few thousand dollars can put together a nice VLM/Porty setup. Load that into a fuel efficient vehicle and a person can be heading down the road and turning a profit from the word go. From a pure business perspective there's sound wisdom to this model.

Additionally it looks like water restrictions will continue to be a problem out west (the new norm). From a marketing perspective and from an ecological perspective, catering to "low moisture" also makes sense.

I know a lot of you will scoff at what I've outlined here. Of course, every business owner will have their own strategy, each approach has its merit. But I can assure you there are a lot of cleaners around the country who are taking this approach, and they're being successful at it too. It doesn't surprise me that Mike is interested in going down this path too. Smart guy :)

Here's our cleaning company's VLM van.

kleenstep-van_1.png

Last edited:

XTREME1

RIP
Name
Greg Crowley
I am toying with the idea of a VLM van in the NC area. I was more about quality and standards here but now I am finding my business side and people not knowing who I am

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Get a Rotovac 360 to match with that porty and you'll have some power behind it. You may want a pump out so if you go through a lot of water you won't have to worry about dumping so much.

I'd skip the auto fill. Too much jiggling around for a float mechanism it has too much potential for failure.

Reactions: Foothills Phil

Zee

Supportive Member
Name
I don't have a "porty/vlm only" setup. But I can tell you, that you better have at least a full size van to be able to carry your

Vacuum
Porty
Hoses
Wand
Stair wand
Upholstery tool
Buckets
Waterclaw
Bunch of small hand tools, brushes gum getters etc
Turbo tile spinner
Cimex
Rotovac
Crb
Grooming brushes
Pads
Cords
Loads of defoamer
Various chemicals
Pads
Pads
More pads
Etc

By the time you got everything in there... You'll see that you need a van.

27grand for a base model van plus at least 10-12grand in equipment/tools... Unless you've got pretty much everything already and just need the vehicle to toss all that crap in there.

Reactions: Foothills Phil

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
any inside pics
No I wish I had one but they use those Transits for everything. Its a utility vehicle often for WDR equipment service calls, VLM work, small mold jobs, anything.

I don't like to see them too packed but I've seen 8-airmovers and 2-Drizair 2000's in them. :dejection:

Go to the dealership and look at the floor space. Lay down some tape on the garage floor and see where you can position your equipment. Get totes that stack. http://www.amazon.com/Buckhorn-AR2115090204000-Attached-Storage-Distribution/dp/B00DVHAWUM

We have them for Fire, Water, Upholstery & VLM. You can have your spotters and pads and a gallon of concentrate in there.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
I don't have a "porty/vlm only" setup. But I can tell you, that you better have at least a full size van to be able to carry your

Vacuum
Porty
Hoses
Wand
Stair wand
Upholstery tool
Buckets
Waterclaw
Bunch of small hand tools, brushes gum getters etc
Turbo tile spinner
Cimex
Rotovac
Crb
Grooming brushes
Pads
Cords
Loads of defoamer
Various chemicals
Pads
Pads
More pads
Etc

By the time you got everything in there... You'll see that you need a van.

27grand for a base model van plus at least 10-12grand in equipment/tools... Unless you've got pretty much everything already and just need the vehicle to toss all that crap in there.
It will all easily fit in a small Transit. No, really!

Mikey P

Administrator
No need to carry the Cimex every day.

DP1
15" CRB
10" CRB
two vacuums
Spotter machine
chems
buckets
RE
OP
diapers
hard floor and carpet wands
uph tool
ramp
cords
tarps
rake
tool box

Zee

Supportive Member
Name
No need to carry the Cimex every day.

DP1
15" CRB
10" CRB
two vacuums
Spotter machine
chems
buckets
RE
OP
diapers
hard floor and carpet wands
uph tool
ramp
cords
tarps
rake
tool box

And let's not forget to pack at least 2 or 3 airmovers for all that porty work. You have to have them...

Reactions: Jimmy L

rick imby

Name
Rick
So Mikey,

Headed for the VLM porty world.
Are you going to be the moderator for the Marketing part of the board and recommend Coupons?

Have you thought about just working out of the back of a pickup?

Since you are not little, Brian Junior would not be appropriate so can we now call you BIG Brian?

After all the grief he took....hmmm

J Brown

Name
Jeff Brown
You need a good shelving setup, I took one side of shelving out. I carry an op, dual speed rotary, vacuum, 5 gal elect. sprayer, steamin demon and some small stuff.
014.JPG
015.JPG

I'll get a pic of it loaded later.

Back
Top Bottom