VLMrs and Porty guys, I want to see your vans!

Derek

Supportive Member
Name
Derek
yea a 175 would be nice but not a lot of room left on the van and i can only handle 1 machine at a time. i don't do much T&G, though i should offer it a little more. i did 1 last year for a CGD client and used the Trio to scrub and the Orbot/pads to remove the slurry.

i sold the Challenger to a guy in PA over the Winter.

i'll leave the trailblazing to JohnG and the rest of those old timers :razz: i'm still a noob.

TigerJ

Name
Barry
2013, Nissan NV2500, purchased used with about 2k miles on it, $22k

image.jpg
image.jpg

TigerJ

Name
Barry
one of the van requirements was to be able to also fit my golf clubs : )

that was last Saturday, had a job for carpet, tile, and hardwood, and thought I would try to make it to the range afterwards to practice for Sunday's round. that didn't happen, I did have the time, but decided to just wing it Sunday...was prob not the best decision for my game.

Reactions: Desk Jockey
Name
Danny Strickland
OK let's do the math. Consider the BIG TRUCK approach that Mike had in California. A modest price tag for a rig like that would be around $100K (or more).

Now let's amortize $100K for 7 years at today's rate of 5.25%. The monthly payment comes to $1425.

That means that your first $1425 doesn't count. You'd need to generate $1425 before you get to zero. The first $1425 goes down the drain - it doesn't exist. And that doesn't even factor fuel, equipment maintenance, or insurance costs for the big truck.

By comparison a few thousand dollars can put together a nice VLM/Porty setup. Load that into a fuel efficient vehicle and a person can be heading down the road and turning a profit from the word go. From a pure business perspective there's sound wisdom to this model.

Additionally it looks like water restrictions will continue to be a problem out west (the new norm). From a marketing perspective and from an ecological perspective, catering to "low moisture" also makes sense.

I know a lot of you will scoff at what I've outlined here. Of course, every business owner will have their own strategy, each approach has its merit. But I can assure you there are a lot of cleaners around the country who are taking this approach, and they're being successful at it too. It doesn't surprise me that Mike is interested in going down this path too. Smart guy :)

Here's our cleaning company's VLM van.

View attachment 5531

Rick, i've had a VLM cleaning set up in mind as well as an upholstery/rugs only business. Cimex, CRB's, Porty and OP with dedicated power/water/sprayer set up in a tall van. my estimated cost with van was shy of $50k. About $600 per month. I could make that cleaning apartments per day no problem. Throw in some decent commercial accounts on the weekends performed by part timers and that set up would be a cash rake!!!

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Hell, Daniel get a used van. Its not like a HWE van where you're going to mount a TM in it. Any van good sound shape van would work and cut that price in half. Make some money and in a couple of years buy a new.....car for your personal use. :winky:

Papa John

Lifetime Supportive Member
Name
John Stewart
I cleaned five jobs with the guys today..
At each one I thought long and deep about how I would attack without an Aerotech...

Most of them looked very good after prespray and a heavy scrubbing.

Most home owners would have been happy

But I need to figure out an economical way to do the next and proper step..

Be aware that your productivity with a porty will go down. porty hacking takes more physical energy and time then with the AeroTech or TM.
That's why Willy is complaining about being burnt out with only 2 or 3 jobs a day.

I can do about 5 jobs a day with the TM-- but only 3 jobs per day with a porty would be max for me; but I'd prefer only 2.
I also think portys use more water then TMs due to less power of everything.

But I'm thinking of doing same switch as you Mikey due to all the highrise apartments going up-- SF is becoming like NYC.

Reactions: Mikey P

Shorty

RIP
Name
Shorty Glanville
Here's some pics of mine.

Chemicals are stored against s a steel & wire/plywood/vinyl covered loading board for safety.

20150915_170319_zpsf4bjmt9b.jpg

Bottom shelf behind driver has rolling tool box with carpet laying gear, UV Vacuum for mattresses, stain removal rolling box.

20150915_170300_zpskewg6tqc.jpg

Above that is my Makita Polisher & Hoss Cyclo, Small vac; for upholstery, select spotters & UV High Intensity light.

Top shelf has box of cleaning cloths, 2 x dripods behind Vac A Way spotting box & mattress covers for floors when cleaning upholstery.

20150915_170307_zps9euxrr6k.jpg

Bottom shelf facing front, Spot dye bag on wheels, steamer, spare Cimex brushes and pad drives.

20150915_170238_zpswodyelvf.jpg

Above that is: MyteeDry, Mini spot claw, HydroKinetic & Sapphire tools.

20150915_170244_zps96kggq0k.jpg

Next post.

:yoda:

Shorty

RIP
Name
Shorty Glanville
Ran out of space. :icon_redface:

Top shelf is: Sprayborg bonnets/pads, Cimex pads.

20150915_170251_zpsg0lvddyf.jpg

I also carry a folding table & Dyson vac;

20150915_171904_zpskj6p8zwt.jpg

Plus 40" Stair wand, Carpet Gem (Argonaut), and an Oreck.

20150915_171859_zps5hrzbhpe.jpg

Rear entry has: Cimex, Sprayborg, Carpet Rake/Brush, folding trolley on wall hook, Folding 6' Aluminum Ramps, plus extension lead, bucket, RCD box, tabs & spare Hoss bottle..

20150915_171921_zpspjftpffd.jpg

Missing is my small spotting machine which is being repaired.

I load other equipment such as an extractor & wand/360i, as & when needed.

This generally sorts my day out for me comfortably.

Spurlington

Name
Spurlino
Perhaps for faster warming up of the water in the heat exchanger? (by plugging the inlet and run the unit while the valve is shut)

Thats how it came .. prolly to keep the dirty water in while driving I imagine. But I installed my own pump out.

Oh and the new upgraded heat exchanger from Johns dont need no time .. even in the winter !!

Shorty

RIP
Name
Shorty Glanville
Very nice..

What is your extractor of choice?

I prefer the Aussie made extractors over the U.S. made ones after having had three from over there.

My all time favourite has been a Steam-Vac, made in Oz.

HOWEVER, I am led to believe that the ones made in the last ten years or so are no where near as good as the earlier ones which I had.

Next month, there is a trade show down on the Gold Coast, just south of Brisbane, which I'll be getting to & checking out different machines with a view to buying one.

Sometimes the conversion from 110 - 220/240 doesn't work out so good.

Also, Australia has very strict electrical laws and generally all electrical machinery coming into Oz must undergo costly change to meet the requirements.

With the low Oz dollar, we pay half as much again for the same machine, + freight, + import duties, + goods & services tax of 10% on top of it all.

So in reality we are paying about 2+1/2 times what you pay for a machine.

:arrrr: :yoda:

Reactions: Art Kelley

Shorty

RIP
Name
Shorty Glanville
I'm looking at a smaller extractor for when we relocate.

Relatively lightweight.
400psi max
2 vacs;
Max hose length would be 50', mainly less than 25' x 1.5" vac; hose.
Auto fill / empty would be nice, but not essential for the size of the jobs we have in mind.
Mainly used for upholstery.
Heater is not required as agitation with Makita/Cyclo will suffice, otherwise I do have a separate electric heater.
Also, most porty heaters will not work when machine is in use, ie; pump & vac; motors must be turned off.

Shorty

RIP
Name
Shorty Glanville
Mike, Here's a little porty that I use for upholstery and very small carpet jobs when needed.

It's a Clarke Alto, similar to the "California" machine put out.

2 vacs;, only 100psi, so is ideal for upholstery for me.

Very light, limited in water/waste capacity, but ample for what I need.

It's dedicated upholstery tool is stored inside the machine for transporting, taken out when ready to use, or I can use my HydroKinetic or Sapphire tool.

Have not as yet tried it with my MyteeDry.

Because it only needs the one power lead, I can also hook-up an inline heater.

20150919_065134_zpsnkt3dimt.jpg

Back
Top Bottom