Washing Wool - Shall we talk chemistry and reality?

T Monahan

Supportive Member
Name
Tom Monahan
Please consider that in our industry we face the issue of Cognitive Dissonance.

"People tend to seek consistency in their beliefs and perceptions. So what happens when one of our beliefs conflicts with another previously held belief? The term cognitive dissonance is used to describe the feeling of discomfort that results from holding two conflicting beliefs. When there is a discrepancy between beliefs and behaviors, something must change in order to eliminate or reduce the dissonance."

Reference: http://psychology.about.com/od/cognitivepsychology/f/dissonance.htm

Let's talk washing wool in a rug plant. Among other things, please realize that some chlorinated products are used for a specific purpose and in a specific context safely everyday as they have been used for decades of time. However, some have openly and dogmatically said it is absolutely wrong without considering the facts. Let's establish some truisms as simple as we can and develop this thread along the way with arguments in an effort to allow truth to emerge.

First, what is Wool?

Can we agree as one dictionary put it simply, "The dense, soft, often curly hair forming the coat of sheep and certain other mammals, such as the goat and alpaca, consisting of cylindrical fibers of keratin covered by minute overlapping scales and much valued as a textile fabric."

imagesCA8EK7AD_zps973a71fd.jpg

The medulla is the inner core of the wool fiber. Encasing that is the cortex. This keeps all the fiber together.

The outer layer is the cuticle. It looks like a fish scale.

imagesCA3X8FII_zps5b413c28.jpg

The only job the cuticle does is protect the fiber. Alkaline pH will cause the scales to open. With the scales open, detergents can enter and flush out the fiber. But if the rug is left in a pH base state, the wool will feel rough and dry because the scales are still open. Once the alkaline has been neutralized, the acid will close the scales, leaving the fibers feeling soft and clean.

Can we agree with the following two points?

1. All acids below 3 can dissolve wool.

2. All bases above 11 can do the same.

In this thread, I will provide observations on how some rug washers are keeping the water economically sanitized while washing rugs. There are real challenges faced in washing dirty rugs. There are some safe remedies utilized by some operators that are using it in a Centrum Force Wash Tub environment to assist in the rug care process. Some of these techniques will involve Di-Chlor. Since it does, I believe its time to enhance understanding what Di-Chlor does at a specifically controlled dilution and what can be accomplish effectively and safely.

Please be aware that I do not sell Di-Chlor and I do not have stock in any company that manufactures the product or sells it. The intent I have for starting this thread should be apparent. It is to give better clarity on the technique of using it safely and without measurable harm to the wool textile entrusted into the care of a professional rug washer.

What it is and how it is used has everything to do within the context of causing no harm as operators. Rug washers are in the business of hauling out dirt, removing organic grime, and getting unhealthy bio debris out of a rug. Most of those I know are passionate about doing the best job they can and returning the rug to the client in good health.

Before I get on my soap box, is this a worthwhile thread for me to continue?

billyeadon

Supportive Member
Name
Bill Yeadon
Hold on. Let me pour a pint and get comfy. Please continue.

if you enjoy the idea of cognitive dissonance you would enjoy reading Thinking Fast & Slow by Daniel Kahneman. He won a Nobel Prize in Economics for his theories.

Last edited:

rhyde

Name
rhyde
Can we agree with the following two points?

1. All acids below 3 can dissolve wool.

2. All bases above 11 can do the same.

I think you need to add a 3rd

3. Cleaning by it's nature is destructive ( but it offsets the more destructive properties of soil.)

The damage is compounded by soil, sun light, humidity, temperature & use.

Dusting form example .. along with removing soil we remove fibers
Washing sometimes dyes as well as altering the physical properties of wool

The "risk" to clean is undertake to improve the look, feel, smell and because textiles deteriorate faster in the presence of soils.
This is a fundamental principle art/textile conservators deal with all the time to clean or not to clean even here It's not a simple yes or no.

Reactions: Brian H and Ron K

T Monahan

Supportive Member
Name
Tom Monahan
I think you need to add a 3rd

3. Cleaning by it's nature is destructive ( but it offsets the more destructive properties of soil.)

The damage is compounded by soil, sun light, humidity, temperature & use.

Dusting form example .. along with removing soil we remove fibers
Washing sometimes dyes as well as altering the physical properties of wool

The "risk" to clean is undertake to improve the look, feel, smell and because textiles deteriorate faster in the presence of soils.
This is a fundamental principle art/textile conservators deal with all the time to clean or not to clean even here It's not a simple yes or no.

The point Randy makes is so true and obvious. I guess that is why I failed to even mention it. Nonetheless, I am glad you brought it up.

T Monahan

Supportive Member
Name
Tom Monahan
Why do some use Di-Chlor?

The thinking about its use in public swimming pools and hot tubs is the basis for reasoning for its use with rug washing. It helps clean up the water to an acceptable standard.

In the pool industry the amount of organic waste that goes into water is rather minimal compared to what enters wash tubs when soiled rugs are introduced. One finds in pools and outdoor hot tubs, elements such as: acid rain; perspiration; body oils; and urine. These are the main offenders. Those that monitor the water for public use must introduce a treatment called “shock” to get the water back to the standard set for public health and safety.

Very simplistically, the following is what goes on in the environment of the wash tubs with Di-Chlor added in the water that is used for rug washing:

Di-Chlor is a mix of HOCI (hypochlorous acid), with its ion OCI, and CYA (cyanuric acid). When granular Di-Chlor is mixed in the 1200 gallon wash tub, these chemicals mix into the hydrogen of the water (H2O) to create a disinfecting solution. Assuming that the wash tub water is around ph 7.5, the HOCI becomes the most effective part of the granular Di-Chlor that is put in. The role of the CYA is to hold the HOCI until it’s needed.

The simplistic conclusion is that the CYA acts as a HOCI acid buffer holding chlorine in reserve, but significantly lowers its concentration and thereby determines the rate of any reaction in which chlorine participates. In other words, CYA acts like a time release, or a “will release when needed” chemical. If no contamination occurs, the chlorine molecules will remain bonded to the cyanuric acid. Because the bond is weak, it lets go of its chemical “dogs” to attack the organic intruders when then appear, but only as many “dogs” as needed. When one tests for FC (free chlorine) using the method that is common for pools and hot tubs, and even though the available chlorine is weakly attached to the CYA, the test strip will indicate as if there is a presence of it free and floating.

Because of the minimal amount of Di-Chlor used in the tub, it has NO measurable adverse effect to the wool. Hence, Di-Chlor produces desirable results for maintaining the water during washing of soiled textiles in a wash tub environment.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom