What a pto clutch can take

Name
Jesse
What's the highest rpm's you have run a pto in a gas van?

On our wm pro 1200 the clutch has about 2400 hours. At 1500 hours we added a kunkle , restricted to 14.5 hg. I bumped the rpm's up to 1800 sealed off, 2000 with no hoses. I expected to lose the clutch shortly after that but I've seen no ill effect YET.

Could I raise the HG's more?

What If I lowered the rpm's?

Thanks in advance!

Rex Tyus

Could I raise the HG's more?

What If I lowered the rpm's?

If you lowered the rpm's just for the sake of increasing lift on the gauge it would be counter productive.

Exceeding recommended torque rating on the clutch will shorten the life. It doesn't necessarily burn out instantly.

My suggestion would be to set at max recommended rating then work on reducing restrictions in you system, ie 2.5" hose, internal plumbing ....

Greenie

I wouldn't change a thing, reliability is a good thing, you have a delicate balancing act going on with those 56 blower clutch drives.

She sucks good right now....right?

Matt King

Your blower should be in the 2600 rpm range right now. I'd leave it there like Greenie said... What good is power if it breaks? I also wouldn't go Any higher on the van engine rpm. I'd say 1800rpm is pushin it as it is..

G

Lets throw a curve ball into the twist.

How about running a smaller pulley on the blower to get more RPM out of it, and loosen up the vac relief....More air movement COULD be there with less strain on the system.

Sure 18 HG's are nice, but what about faster airflow????

Chad

Rex Tyus

Air flow is great if it is entering the wand slot. Pretty irrelevant entering via the vac relief.

Name
Jesse
What I've done has made a huge improvement. On most carpets I now have enough cfms to keep the kunkle open continuously. On a Berber I still only pull 12 or so. My thought was that with the higher rpm's I have enough airflow that I'm maxing out my hg's and drawing through the relief. I'm thinking that's wasted power that could be pulling the carpet maybe 15.5 or 16hg?????

I have the 2.5 hose and hookup from 3" , no pre filter (anymore), slim stainless hose connectors.

I've had in mind to change the single 3" blower filter to a dual system but haven't had the time. What else can I do?

I was quite happy today when I helped my guys out. I went out unexpected because I needed to add a 5th job to their day. When I got there they were half done and the rooms they started 1 hour before were clean and 98% dry. That's with 18 flow and a slotted glide.

Greenie

J2 said:
What I've done has made a huge improvement. On most carpets I now have enough cfms to keep the kunkle open continuously.

I'm gonna take a stab and say you have a 2" kunkle and not a 2.5" kunkle? You are probably starting to approach the 426 cfm limit of the 2" valve.

On a Berber I still only pull 12 or so. My thought was that with the higher rpm's I have enough airflow that I'm maxing out my hg's and drawing through the relief. I'm thinking that's wasted power that could be pulling the carpet maybe 15.5 or 16hg?????

So you are pulling 12" while actually cleaning, that's pretty good.

I've had in mind to change the single 3" blower filter to a dual system but haven't had the time. What else can I do?

That dog house on top of the tank that houses the blower filter could use to be enlarged to house two filters, I have friend that plans to do just that, How often are you guys cleaning it?

I was quite happy today when I helped my guys out. I went out unexpected because I needed to add a 5th job to their day. When I got there they were half done and the rooms they started 1 hour before were clean and 98% dry. That's with 18 flow and a slotted glide.

Well there ya go, just keep the relief valve from staying open (exceeding it's recommended airflow) and all should be well.
[/quote]

Name
Shawn Forsythe
You raise the RPM and I almost guarantee you will have problems under the hood.

The catalytic converter temp will rise beyond safety limits and part of the underhood electrical will overheat. Static running RPM in most vans has to be carefully monitored.

Ever notice or wonder why many gasoline vans have a decal on the door beam which prohibits the use of the vehicle for ambulance use? Now you know, or at least have a clue.

In designing CD systems this is always the first problem, regardless of drive system considerations which are also in play.

rhyde

Name
rhyde
i was at jon don the other day and they where putting the finishing touches on a new boxer 421 it had a 1.5" wand with the TM. so i ask what the hell can you do with that wand and the guy says it actually does a good job he used the same setup on his carpet not too long ago. i asked how long until it was dry he said about 6 hours :shock:

i couldn't stop laughing :lol:

Rex Tyus

Jimmy said
Thats the reason I bought a cleanco quad 56 with its superior airflow.....two blower filters.

DITTO !

Those that say plumbing don't matter are seriously mistaken.

Greenie said
too bad Jimmy is choking it down with a single 2" hose and 1.5" wand.

Ditto again.
Plumbing matters all the way to the wand carpet interface. :shock:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom