What are the Finishes and Sealers that can be on wood and stone

Chet

Name
Chet Sadowski
I'm trying to produce an information sheet for our customers to help explain that their floors can have a cocktail of floor finishes and until we begin stripping we don't know exactly what we will need to use, or do, to fully strip them. Just today we sent a technician to strip and old slate floor, so he took a normal stripper for Acrylic floor finish, which removed most of the old finish but at some point either varnish or urethane must have been applied and now we need to use some other stripper to loosen that finish. This appears to be very common on old stone floors, because people would use whatever there neighborhood hardware store told them to use. By having an information sheet detailing what we can come across before we start a project like this and explaining the possible additional labor and expenses we can inform the client ahead of time and let them know that it is out of our hands.

So right now I'm trying to describe all the different finishes that we encounter when working on hard surfaces and brief explanation of each and how to strip them off. this is what I have so far, I'm not sure about how accurate I am so please correct me when I'm wrong and if you have more information it will really help;

Sealed- Fluoro chemical
Sealed- Silicone
Enhanced- Linseed or Tung Oil
Enhanced and sealed- combination of above
Acrylic Floor finish- Strip with high alkaline floor stripper
Varnish- Containing Drying Oils (Linseed, Tung Oil)
Polyurethane Varnish-
Acrylic Varnish
Laquer
Epoxy- 2 part

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom