What can you do with bounced checks?

Matthew

I have never received a bounced check until a month ago. Actually I received two and last week makes three. The last one I think was an honest mistake, because she is a regular customer. However, the other two were not. I am getting a little frustrated now since neither person returns my calls.

The coincidental thing about it was they were jobs I did on the same day. Two bounced checks on the same day! I couldn't get over that.

Well, I received copies of the checks in the mail. One said "account closed" and the other was "insufficient funds". After blocking my number, I finally got through to both of them. And guess what? They both told me they would mail me a check. How convenient. My question is what can I do? Neither check has been received.

tman7

Supportive Member
Name
Tony Gillihan
Ive had the same problem ONCE. A customer was going to put a home up for sale soon, it had been a home they rented out. They were fixing it up in preparation of putting on the market. They hired me to clean their carpets. I met the owner, gave me the tour, began cleaning while he worked in the back staining a deck. I had not talked to him but once during the time I was cleaning. After I had rapped up all my equipment I went around the house to collect payment. And lo and behold he was lying on the ground unconscious. So I called 911 and they were able to revive him. I left as the paramedics were bringing him around cause I felt uneasy about trying to collect payment since for all I knew hew just had a heart attack or stroke. So I left and called him the next day, he thanked me for saving his life (said he was diabetic and had given himself too much insulin). I told him I left an invoice there and just go ahead and mail the money to me. Week later. nothing. Two weeks later. Nada. Called him left messages. No response. That's gratitude for ya. Sooooo. I put a contractors lien on his home. That's what you should do too if you get no response from these people. I'm assured by a friend that has had to do it. That I WILL get my money.

Becker

Name
Becker
Closed account. Not much.
INF, redeposit it, or take it to the bank it is written.
Send a bill for any bank charges.

I have a $25 return check fee on my invoice. If you don't have a fee disclosed then you will have to settle of bank charges only, or just the face value of the check/ invoice.

I got 2 after connections. 1st of the 07 year. Both cleared up.

Kevin B

Name
Kevin Bunce
I have had to take one person to court. This is what I do. I call, immediately upon receiving the NSF check. A closed account, is unacceptable, and is deliberate (or, it could be honest if they grabbed the wrong checkbook). I do not accept a "i'll send a check in today". I just say, I need to collect on this today with a 25.00 NSF fee attatched, when can i pickup the cash or cashier check? Or, if you prefer, I can take a credit card over the phone.

If this gets me no where, and it only has once. I file small claims on them after I send them 2 notices return receipt requested. Fastest and easiest way to judgment. Only thing a lien will do is effect refinancing, or selling.

Shorty

RIP
Name
Shorty Glanville
1:...... First & foremost, talk to them nicely, explain the problem, that their check has bounced and that it has now caused you extra expenses.

2:....... Explain that you do not wish to pay these extra expenses & that you would like the full amount, now, & in cash. NO, a check will not do as you have already blotted your copy book with the first one.

3:...... They still don't want to come to the party & cough up ?? ask two simple questions,

(1)..... Do you know my cousin Big Tony??

(2)..... How do you like your knee caps, smashed or simply broken to match your wrists??

Cheers,

Shorty.

PS ::: Smile as your are talking to them :lol:

Shorty

RIP
Name
Shorty Glanville
Stevie B

"Blotted your copy book"?

Down under it means, "you've already screwed up once, if you think I'm gonna let you screw me again, you got another think coming"

Usually followed by a knuckle sanga :twisted:

Cheers,

Shorty.

J Scott W

Name
Jeffrey Scott Warrington
By all means talk with them nicely. Go by and pick-up the payment if you can.

If polite fails, the exact action will vary by state. In Tennessee we sent a 5 day notice by certified mail. It said they had 5 days to pay or we would turn it over to the county court clerk for prosecution.

In most places, a bounced check is considered prima facia evidence of intent to defraud. You will get a judgment. They will pay or up go to jail.

Scott Warrington

diamond brian

Google your county's district atty. Most have a bogus check program of sorts where they contact the check writer and collect on your behalf. Here, they collect the face value of the check plus $25.00.

G

If the dollar value is low, move on. You may get the money but if they were small jobs, it will cost you more to get the money than it's worth. Start accepting credit cards and if someone id questionable you can have them pay by credit card.

Dave

TimP

I've only had one person bounce a check. My wife took care of it wonderfully, it took quite a while. Quite a few calls to the bank to see if funds were available. But amazingly the person mailed me payment in the form of a money order and in addition with excess paid. I did refund her the excess over my NSF fee charged to me by the bank. She did call to do another job for her. I quoted her the price and she said do it, then she came right back before I got started and said not to do it. I think she thought about it and it wasn't worth it to deal with us.

I would be nothing but happy if she never called again. I wouldn't of even showed up but my wife made me and I was trying to give her the benefit of the doubt. But I knew I was going to go down the same road again thank goodness she said it was too much.

Scott Rogers

Never take a check to cover a bad check!! Cash only, give till the end of the week or file charges with the DA. Many states are very aggressive about bounced checks.

The one written on a closed account should be considered theft of services.

Scott Rogers

Never take a check to cover a bad check!! Cash only, give till the end of the week or file charges with the DA. Many states are very aggressive about bounced checks.

The one written on a closed account should be considered theft of services.

Matthew

Well, good and confusing news.

Good News - My regular customer paid me cash yesterday.

Confusing News - I called the NSF ($200) customer yesterday and she said she mailed a money order the last time we spoke. She told me maybe someone stole in from my mail box. She said she was going to call her bank and find out if it has been cashed and call me back in 5 minutes. It's now Tuesday night.

I think the next thing she will tell me is to wait until the money order arrives. Can a money order be canceled?

Bad News - The lady ($130) that wrote a check on a closed account is a con artist. She told me she is on a business trip and won't be back for 3 weeks. She was renting a pretty nice house. She kept bad mouthing the landlord for not applying her rent toward the mortgage and how her son was going to kick his a$$. She kept talking about how dishonest the landlord was???

The icing on the cake - This last lady, her house was nasty with dog urine and poop everywhere. She had one room full of glass from a shattered glass table and it took me 30 minutes just to pick it all up and put it in her trash can. Well, she was helping me a little bit and managed to get a piece stuck in her foot. She couldn't get it out and asked if I could see it. She propped her foot up in the window, and after about 10 minutes of pulling at this sliver of glass I finally got it out.

I figured after going above and beyond for this lady she would have appreciated it at least a little.

rhyde

Name
rhyde
Matthew said:
This last lady, her house was nasty with dog urine and poop everywhere. She had one room full of glass from a shattered glass table and it took me 30 minutes just to pick it all up and put it in her trash can. Well, she was helping me a little bit and managed to get a piece stuck in her foot. She couldn't get it out and asked if I could see it. She propped her foot up in the window, and after about 10 minutes of pulling at this sliver of glass I finally got it out.

WTF..... dog problems, broken glass and glass removal from clients foot all for 130.00 :shock:

Matthew

So I called 911 and they were able to revive him. I left as the paramedics were bringing him around cause I felt uneasy about trying to collect payment since for all I knew hew just had a heart attack or stroke. So I left and called him the next day, he thanked me for saving his life (said he was diabetic and had given himself too much insulin). I told him I left an invoice there and just go ahead and mail the money to me. Week later. nothing. Two weeks later. Nada. Called him left messages. No response.

That is pretty bad. Talk about not being appreciated! I have never heard a story like that. He should have tipped you. By the way, how does everyone put the last persons quote in the little white box for the next post and put Quote above it?

Derek

Supportive Member
Name
Derek
rhyde said:
Matthew said:
This last lady, her house was nasty with dog urine and poop everywhere. She had one room full of glass from a shattered glass table and it took me 30 minutes just to pick it all up and put it in her trash can. Well, she was helping me a little bit and managed to get a piece stuck in her foot. She couldn't get it out and asked if I could see it. She propped her foot up in the window, and after about 10 minutes of pulling at this sliver of glass I finally got it out.

WTF..... dog problems, broken glass and glass removal from clients foot all for 130.00 :shock:

what Randy said :shock:

Matthew, you're newer to the biz: when ppl want you to clean up broken glass on their carpet, run from that job. now if they want replacement and you know how to install, then so be it. but cleaning does not remove broken glass. you're touching it means you could get the blame ($$$) when the next renter's infant get's a sliver in her foot.

thanx --- Derek.

Numero Uno

Name
Caesar
Contact Neil Seymour,explain and tell him which state you live in...

Proceed with conviction and speed...

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom