What is the best type of van you have found for Gas Mileage?

bubba

I have looked at all types of vans and of course I'm trying to save money.

I am leaning towards the Dodge Sprinter Diesel Van. I heard they are great on gas and I'm thinking I can get one for around 15k used, 35k new.

I have been using my cargo trailer a lot because the Jeep gets better gas mileage than the Van... but I can't do apartments with the cargo trailer so if I have one apartment scheduled I have to drive the van.

What do you think is the best van for Carpet Cleaning?

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
first off, besides the Sprinter being the uGlIEsT vehicle on the road, the fuel mileage savings is ate up in the cost of diesel.

Maybe it's different where you live, but diesel fuel runs on average .30 to .40 cents more per gal than reg unleaded here.
Been that way for several years now.

The difference was even greater this week.
The last few days reg unleaded has been $3.30 pr gal.
Diesel has been at $4.14

My extended Super Cargo Ford van with 5.4ltr Triton V-8 gets 18mpg hi-way (70+MPH) fully loaded.

I wouldn't save a dime buying diesel for a Sprinter that gets 22mpg

It's been my experience that newer Fords get better fuel mileage than newer Chevy/GMC vans

..L.T.A.

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

I think the Sprinters look just as "pretty" as any normal van.

ITS A VAN!! I look for functionality and the Sprinter has more room, more signage area, an awesome turn radius, and from what I've heard, great mileage. The narrowness some see as a negative, but its much easier driving a narrow vehicle in some driveways than it is something wider.

KevinL

Supportive Member
Name
Kevin Leach
Friends don't let friends buy ugly trucks

Sprinters are ugly. I wouldn't be carried to the cemetery in one. Hey Ron, it's interesting you say beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I'm wearing my t-shirt that says beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

SRI Cleaning

Name
Anthony Firmani
Yeah i think sprinters are ugly. And right now oil companies know they have diesel fuel users by the balls because so many bussineses rely on it.

D.Layman

You might want to double check the mileage your getting with your jeep (what model?) while hooked up and towing that cargo trailer. Mileage can drop upwards of 5+mpg with most gassers pending on the engine and the load.

Name
R.J. Povio
Bubba,

The Dodge Sprinters will definately get the best gas/diesel mileage hands down. The Sprinters are a 2.7 liter 5 cylinder diesel with a turbo. They easily will get mileage in the low to mid 20's usually loaded or unloaded. That is the one advantage or diesel with any manufacturer is the reduction of fluctuation in mileage loaded versus unloaded. Keep in mind when you buy a new diesel van which I would highly not recommend you pay anywhere from 5 to 7 thousand extra for the diesel and diesel transmission option. So like people above said that already eats up alot of fuel savings not to mention that diesel is priced sometimes 10-20% higher than reg unleaded. Also with a diesel you do not go to a jiffy lube/valvoline instant oil change and pay 25-35 bucks for a regular oil change. Its more in the vicinity of 75- 150 bucks. Diesels run different weights of oil (vs gasoline engines) and usually hold 10-15 quarts of oil along with bigger and sometimes even 2 oil filters. Our Fords hold 6 quarts of oil and one oil filter about a 15-17 dollar oil change if we do it ourselves. Another maintinence issue with diesel is the fuel/water seperators (basically a gas filter for diesel engines). They need changing a few times a year whereas gasoline engines call for replacement every year to every other year depending on mileage. If living in a cold climate you will need to plug in the block heater too so your van will start in the morning. Lots of newer diesels I have heard do not need to be plugged in so you should check with the manufacturer first.
Buba I have looked on the internet and those used sprinters go for 25 to 30 grand used....I havent see one for 15 grand yet....unless the mileage was high....thats a steal for that van depending on the miles and condition.
I know you can buy 2006-2007 Ford E250's (old U-haul rentals) with 3 to 10k miles with power windows/locks/cruise/tilt/AC with the 4.6 liter v-8 for 15-17 grand. New those vans are MSRPed at 25+grand. That 4.6 liter is a great economical engine we have one with over 170k on it original engine+tranny. It gets great mileage way better than our one Ford with the 5.4 liter. Definately stay away from Fords v-10 engine single digits gas mileage possible, chevys 6.0 v 8 the 5.3 is all you should need and on the older dodge vans the 5.2 vs the 5.9. All of the bigger engines are good but not more efficient than the smaller engines when talking gas mileage.

Scottie

Be prepared to constantly clean the black film that appears on everything in your shop if you have one should you go with diesel.
My Chevy 1 ton ex with 4.8L V8 gets 17 mpg. and I can run it through the car wash. Every Sprinter I have ever seen on the road was filthy from lack of cleaning (because you have to wash them by hand)and the black crap they spew.
Been the diesel big truck route, it's not as great as you might think. :)

TimP

Right now with the cost of diesel at 4.00+ in many areas it's not worth getting the diesel for fuel economy. However the sprinter has a few advantages, you can get a high top model so you can walk inside, the diesel engine will last longer than a gas burning engine. However you are limited to buying a slide in, if you go gas you have to purchase an extra tank. And there isn't many diesel options for slide ins.

Keep in mind my 6.0 Chevy 1 ton extended will get about 17-20 on the hwy. I don't know exactly cause I burn most of my fuel running the TM. But it doesn't seem to suck the gas down like crazy when driving and i don't drive many miles either. I've had my TM 17 months now and I have under 12,000 miles.

I suggest you do the math and figure out if it's worth it for you or not.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
for "most", a diesel motor is a waste of money.

if you don't turn mega miles every year or need stump pulling torque for towing , they cost more than they're worth

and did i mention the Sprinter is UGGGLLLEEEEE :twisted:

for the life of me, I don't know why the "average" cleaner would want a stinky, noisy, rattle chatterin' diesel :roll:

..L.T.A.

cu

Supportive Member
Name
Cu
i own both a 07 ford and an 08 sprinter....
the ford sits at home as much as poss, it has nowhere near the mileage i get from the sprinter around town,
you will only get good mileage from the ford on open rd , fully loaded the sprinter gets 20 to 22 mpg on the hwy around town that goes down to bout 18.5
you can get the small size sprinter with a gas engine...but why would you
the lwb will carry all you need to do any job and still have room for more

it is more comfortable to drive then the ford and has a lot less sway when driving in windy areas then the ford
the only way i would buy another ford is if they brought over the transit from Europe which is another hi roof, made for the driver type of van

jimmyolas

the very tall sprinters are ugly.I just bought a 07 new low roof.I will post pics soon. It is a very nice ride. all the newer sprinters are the 3.0 liter.
i get 19 to 22 loaded if i behave with the gas pedal.my gmc 5.7 NEVER got more that 10 or 11 miles per gallon.

even with the diesela at 4$ i save 300 to 400 per month. which is 1/3 of my payment. works for me. Lots of room too. jimmy

Supersucker

My dad has the older body 5-cylinder Sprinter. If he can get 20 then normal people should get a minimum of 22. You can open the hood & see the entire motor, part of the tranny, even the earth below you. They went to a crooked (V) motor with the new body, but I understand that you can order cab seating for 3, which is a plus.

And whoever said they were noisy is wrong, you can stand by the rear corner of the van to guide the driver onto a trailer & speak in a normal voice & be heard.

Obviously ROI is a big issue, but if you need the room, it's almost like having a box truck with lower floor for climbing in & out all day.

The nearest alternative I see out there is the Supreme Spartan van body in 12' length. These depreciate much faster than Sprinters, so can be had used reasonably.

G

A pt cruiser and an OP?

THere is some guy in Alaska that uses PT cruisers and is a millionaire because of it. Well that's what JoHn GrrrkiNk sed.

DIEsel of course. MO' duraABLE engines when properly maintained and you can burn veggie style if you roll like that.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom