What is the earning potential for a superstar technician?

Chet

Name
Chet Sadowski
I would like to know what is the most revenue that you know of that a superstar technician has ever produced for a year? Or that a team of 2 technicians has produced?
A superstar is a technician that has three main skills (Customer service, Cleaning and stain removal, and salesmanship). I put them order of how I value them.

I have a group of technicians that don't think they can upsell much more than they do now and that there is a ceiling of how much they can earn. Our technicians are great with customer service and are very technically skilled, but I think they can earn us and themselves substantially more than they do now. We have a scorecard based pay plan that pays anywhere form 15% to 20% (based on customer service score) on Out The Door work, and 21% or 23% (higher percentage the more you sell) on any up sold work. So the earning potential is 20% OTD and 23% on upsells.

A quote Howard Partridge uses a lot is "What one man can do another man can do". I want to be able to show and prove to our technicians that others have been able t0 dramatically increase the amount they earn by upselling.

I was talking to a technician that claimed that he was able to produce $1,000,000 in revenue and made $160,000 per year. I haven't been able to pin him down on the details yet, but what I want is proof, so our technicians know it is real and obtainable. This amount seems out of touch, but I don't know for sure and that is why I'm asking. Even if he is exaggerating or the revenue generated took a team of 2 technicians our staff would more than double what they earn per year.

Mikey P

Administrator
Its been my experience that "Superstar Technicians" are usually overbearing in their relentless attempts to upsell each and every job.

Chet correct me of I'm wrong, but you don't strike me as a guy who runs a bait and switch..

Online reviews from customers who got beat down by a starving carpet cleaner could ruin you..

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Howard huh?
That was quoted over and over in the 1997 movie "The Edge".
Charles Morse: What one man can do, another can do. ;)

Those numbers sound like pure tale. :icon_rolleyes: Even if it were a two man crew.

Do you personally feel they have plateaued?

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: TomKing and Russ T.

PrimaDonna

Megatron
Name
MB
I would like to know what is the most revenue that you know of that a superstar technician has ever produced for a year?

One truck, about 75% of the time it's 2 techs, other 25% the lead tech was solo, produced $275k.

If you define "upsell" as protector sales, then $37,647 o f that total is from carpet protector options we offer. Additional $4,761 in grout sealer after cleaning tile and grout.

This doesn't account for any cross/upselling of additional services from the initial work order. Some of the work orders already have customers that want protection applied, so it's not technically an upsell if they indicate they want it at the time of booking. But for our purposes, anything more than cleaning is an upsell, regardless of when in the process the customer buys.

That help?

but I think they can earn us and themselves substantially more than they do now.

How did you come to this conclusion? What has lead you to determine that they haven't really maxed out?

When you (or others) are on the truck do you find that the average job ticket is higher than the techs you are talking about?

Have you determined that they aren't selling protector on every or most jobs?

If you believe they can earn more than they are now, then why aren't they? SOMETHING must be holding them back if they aren't. Do they lack the skill set, incentive, belief that they can? Do they feel they are scheduled too tightly and don't have the time to offer more cause they have to get to the next job? Spend time thinking about this, talking to them, observing. Find out what it is and then figure out how to remove those roadblocks so they can earn more....and make you more!

clean image

Name
Carl Maddock
I think I remember 350K a year for 2 on a truck as a high water mark for Ken's top techs

Chet

Name
Chet Sadowski
We are not bait and switch. But I'm looking for what are the possibilities. Is it 375,000 revenue for 1 tech or is it higher or lower. Our definition of upselling is any service you perform that was not included on the original invoice with the exception of protection. Protection is always counted as an upsell, even if our inspector pre-sold it or the customer originally asked for it.
I know that we should be able to sell twice as much protection as we do now. I think protection should be on 80% of the jobs, I use it on virtually everything I own and it works, and when I'm selling I close 80% +.

Our pay plan is Scorecard based, your pay is substantially reduced if you don't make cheerleaders. So it makes you balance between customer service and productivity. It is weighted to reward those that up sell more but they must still make cheerleaders, to make the higher percentages.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
My wife works in the Sam's Club pharmacy and was just complaining the other day about how they are now pushing them to sell Plus Memberships just as they do the cashiers on the floor. She hates the pressure they put on them for sales but they only do it because it works.

It comes from the top and down every level. They ride the employees hard for those additional sales.

I think it you really feel they could do more but they are in a comfort zone then its going to take the whip, not the carrot to get you what you want. Maybe you should consider paying a manager to ride the field technicians for increased sales??

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Russ T.

PrimaDonna

Megatron
Name
MB
when I'm selling I close 80% +.

You answered one of my questions....so now you need to figure out why they don't close 80% and give them what they need (head trash removal, training, incentive, negative consequence/The Whip as Richard puts it) so they are hitting that 80%.

Reactions: Desk Jockey

Chet

Name
Chet Sadowski
I didn't finish above, and I hit the wrong key right after 80+, so here's the rest of my thoughts. None of what I'm listing here is bait and switch, they are all services that can be added on and most can be performed on the same day of the appointment making them much more profitable and productive for the technicians.

A superstar is the Zig Ziglar of cleaning technicians. The cream of the crop, the top 1%. It is the most outstanding cleaning technician possible; Outstanding customer service skills, Outstanding cleaning skills and Outstanding sales skills all in one package.

Reasons we should be able to upsell on virtually every job;
Protection helps our customers;
Keep items clean longer
Allows us or them to remove virtually any stain.
Keeps their furnishings newer looking for longer.
The only customers that we shouldn't try to sell to are people that worry about the health consequences, or there carpet is so new and unused that it doesn't need protection yet.
Protection helps our technicians;
It makes subsequent cleanings easier for our technicians.
Puts easy money in their pockets

Always Clean or Stay Beautiful Program. I can't remember the last time one of our technicians sold one.
I think all these types of clients could benefit; they have children and or pets, anyone in the household suffers from allergies or they are simply OCD. I think this covers 80% of our clients.
Our technicians receive first months Always Clean payment as their bonus. ($30 to $150.00- $70.00 is our average always clean monthly payment)

Additional work in the house your working in. In my view there are always multiple additional items that need cleaning in any house we work in. Upholstery, Leather, more rooms of carpet, area rugs, tile & grout, counter tops, wood floors, basement floors, garage floors. There are also items that we can clean in our plant that the technicians can sell and make a commission., they are oriental rugs, rug pad, draperies, and blinds.

Reactions: Desk Jockey

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
I would say you are right they "should" be able to sell more. However either due to discomfort or complacency they are choosing not to.

I think you have fair rewards in place, the reward is just not motivating them. Its time to pull out the whip and stop asking for more from them but instead demand more from them. "What one man can do, another can do"
smug.gif

That's not an environment I'd care to work in but it is one that will get you where you're wanting to be.

Mikey P

Administrator
I wish I could find the thread/ post I wrote about my experience with coit super technicians a few years ago.

Ken Snow denied he had a few on staff in public but in private we had some laughs..

Chet

Name
Chet Sadowski
Meg, sorry I didn't answer your questions right away. But here they are, and hopefully now I know how to use quotes.

How did you come to this conclusion? What has lead you to determine that they haven't really maxed out?
I haven't, what I'm looking for is the Superstar in our industry, someone that has done it consistently. I firmly believe from extensive talks with the technicians over many years that they think there is a ceiling. We have tried many incentives, and other methods of trying to "just ask" and they don't. I think if I could prove that other s have done it, then it would be an easier sell.

When you (or others) are on the truck do you find that the average job ticket is higher than the techs you are talking about?

I had the highest upsell numbers when I was on the truck, but that was decades ago. I haven't had a Superstar in all categories ever including myself, I know I left a lot of many on the table. We have always trained and worked on Service and cleaning skills as the most important which I believe they are. But in doing so we have never prioritized sales.

Have you determined that they aren't selling protector on every or most jobs?
We track it on every job, first they only sell protection on 65% of the jobs

If you believe they can earn more than they are now, then why aren't they? SOMETHING must be holding them back if they aren't. Do they lack the skill set, incentive, belief that they can? Do they feel they are scheduled too tightly and don't have the time to offer more cause they have to get to the next job? Spend time thinking about this, talking to them, observing. Find out what it is and then figure out how to remove those roadblocks so they can earn more....and make you more!

This is an ongoing dilemma in our industry. I have been to many seminars, training sessions, and have read many articles on the subject. No one yet has come up with how to motivate them to sell. I'm simply trying to find out what the most outstanding technician in our industry can make? I know I would be more motivated by knowing that if someone is consistently grossing $500k or more per truck and was doing it legitimately then I would know that we could achieve it.

billyeadon

Supportive Member
Name
Bill Yeadon
Cracking the whip is usually only a temporary fix. Ultimately everyone is motivated differently. The key to a good manager is to find out what motivation each person prefers.

The key difference between checkers and chess is that in checkers the pieces all move the same way, whereas in chess all the pieces move differently…Discover what is unique about each person and capitalize on it.

Reactions: cobra and Russ T.

Chet

Name
Chet Sadowski
Bill, I agree but knowing the potential earnings could be very beneficial to having an intelligent conversation with existing technicians and potential candidates.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Its happening everywhere. My daughter was working for JC Penny before she went to college and they pressured her for "icaps" monthly. They were to get customers to sign up for the JC Penny credit card.

They needed at least one a week or their job was in Jeopardy. She couldn't wait for classes to start in the fall, she didn't like the pressure. I reminded her it was just a numbers thing and all she had to do was ask. She just hated asking. :winky:

PrimaDonna

Megatron
Name
MB
No one yet has come up with how to motivate them to sell

And no one will.

For most "techs" it's not part of their MO or skill set. Your either a "sales guy" or a work with your hands "blue collar" guy. Kind of like Gardner's multiple intelligences theory from my teaching days. There are many ways to be intelligent and usually you excel or display a dominant intelligence in one of the 7 areas. even though we function in all of them.

It's like coming a cross an albino to get a tech that has the combo we are talking about. The ones in the industry that are best at that are the owners....and we all know it certainly isn't all owners.

I'd bet companies that are pulling in that type of money/sales on one truck have an owner on the truck.....Oh, did I forget to mention in my previous post that my "lead tech" is my hubby and the Owner....(yeah I left that out on purpose to see if anyone would ask how we have one truck generates those numbers, because I wanted to hit home the point that you will most likely come across those numbers on an owner run truck).

Just like @Steve Toburen and Chuck say, the best sales person/prospector for a company is the owner. The same can probably be said for the owner being on the truck. Problem is, we can't be everywhere. Gotta figure out what we do the best and where we can generate the most value to the company and then put trust in others to execute. Easier said than done and always room for improvement. If only we could clone ourselves!

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
Well said.

Another way to say this would be that if you find an employee who is a great cleaner who takes pride in his work and is also a great people person who is very good at establishing relationships, his title will soon change from "employee"....

v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
.......to "competitor"....

Chris A

Name
Chris
I believe there are many many multi truck outfits, one Tay frequents the board, that would argue that they can and do exceed those numbers with employees on the truck. Systems and super efficient routing can turn a 200k truck into a 300k truck pretty quick

GeneMiller

Name
gene miller
Comfort zone is a big problem with most people. Everybody's different. Companies that hire sales people love guys with big bills. Helps to motivate them. Verizon uses a questionair with employees to find out what motivates them. I tried to get my hands on it but never did. My friends back working there so I'm going to try to get my hands on it. 2 men in a truck running 5 days can clear 350k or more. Owner not necessary. It's gonna be rare not the norm.

Gene.

Mikey P

Administrator
Are we talking about that guy who spoke at ICE who was claiming huge numbers with one truck but forgetting to mention most of the.income was from outside stone and concrete restoration?

Name
Lee Stockwell
I dislike, hate, Hate, ABHOR the sales gimmicks Sam's and many other similar businesses coerce their employees to push on us.

I'm polite, but did I mention I HATE IT! I also hate the misguided bean-counters who come up with the idea. I'm sure they alienate more than they endear with such schemes.

Arghh!!

PrimaDonna

Megatron
Name
MB
We don't sell much protector. If I believed in it, that could be huge. I'm hoping to be convinced in Clearwater. I'm really good at selling a product/service that I believe in.

Oh this pains me so.....It can be bigger than huge. It is for us.

There are multiple benefits.

And frankly even if YOU don't believe in them (but you should) BUT your clients do, then what is the harm in offering something that they want or find value in (even if you don't)?

Difference of opinion is everywhere in this world. Just cause you don't believe, doesn't mean that those who do are wrong....it's just DIFFERENT. And if you are that worried about how it performs, do a spot and spill warranty program. If it doesn't perform as stated, you go back and do a spot clean (free of charge to get it out) , if you can't get it out, then you refund them THE PRICE OF THE PROTECTION ONLY. Then you can sleep at night not feeling like you are ripping off anyone (if you don't personally believe in it).

We do believe, and still offer this type of program just to offer peace of mind to our clients. Guess how much we have refunded in the 8 years that I've been involved in the business??? (we've been in business for close to 25 years).

Seriously, give me the number of jobs we've had to do this on or a dollar amount.

Russ T.

Supportive Member
Name
Russ Terhaar
I can't sell pixie dust to someone, even if they believe it's gold. I can't make them believe it's gold, if I think it's pixie dust. Maybe I'm just a bad salesman....seriously. I am a pretty good teacher though. If I understand a product and really believe in it, I can sell it. Rotary Extraction is an excellent example of something I believe in and can sell a customer on. I've seen the results hundreds of times and KNOW that it is a superior service.

It's my job as a professional, to do my homework and educate a customer.

I'm not saying that all protector is worthless. I need to be educated. I need to see real world results, with protector being applied in real world conditions, at proper dilutions. I REALLY want to KNOW that protector is worth the $$$. Once I KNOW that, I can sell it.

Any tech expected to sell any product or service should be convinced themselves, that it's a good buy. Otherwise they are uneducated or swindling our valuable customers.

I'd put myself in the uneducated camp but hopefully not for long!
Oh this pains me so.....It can be bigger than huge. It is for us.

There are multiple benefits.

And frankly even if YOU don't believe in them (but you should) BUT your clients do, then what is the harm in offering something that they want or find value in (even if you don't)?

Difference of opinion is everywhere in this world. Just cause you don't believe, doesn't mean that those who do are wrong....it's just DIFFERENT. And if you are that worried about how it performs, do a spot and spill warranty program. If it doesn't perform as stated, you go back and do a spot clean (free of charge to get it out) , if you can't get it out, then you refund them THE PRICE OF THE PROTECTION ONLY. Then you can sleep at night not feeling like you are ripping off anyone (if you don't personally believe in it).

We do believe, and still offer this type of program just to offer peace of mind to our clients. Guess how much we have refunded in the 8 years that I've been involved in the business??? (we've been in business for close to 25 years).

Seriously, give me the number of jobs we've had to do this on or a dollar amount.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom