What kind of tile is this?

HydroDude

Name
JB
Customer is asking for this to be cleaned and stained...appears to have been sealed , but flaking off...

What's the best way to go?
20160810_105241.jpg

20160810_105245.jpg

Name
Bruce
Looks like it has been waxed at some point in it's life. Make sure you test to see if and or how hard it will be to get this to the customers level of satisfaction.

Reactions: J Scott W

Bryan Thomson

Supportive Member
Name
Bryan Thomson
If it's on the tile its "IN" the grout.
Manage expectation with the customer....meaning after you strip the tile there will still be some finish in the grout which will make it look "splotchy".
I would do a "test panel" stripping on a 4'x4' section and then extract dry and check the results eg. What does the grout look like?
If it doesn't look good / splotchy your gonna have to strip again and then acid clean the grout to make it look even.
Use a 175 floor machine with a stiff staggered bristle brush eg. Nyla grit or Mal grit brush. Mix your stripping solution strong 1:4 and let it dwell for 10-15 min "keeping it really wet" and then agitate after 10 min and then extract at 1000-1200 psi. Only strip in 100 sq ft sections to control it from drying on the surface.
The worst thing you can do is apply the stripping solution in to large of area and it dries on the surface......that will be a major mistake.
Charge accordingly......1 strip .....clean / possible acid grout brightening....$1:00-$1:50 per sq ft.
Multiple stripping add another .75-$1.00 per sq ft.
It looks like it is a 2 or 3 coat since it is peeling back......which should come off with 1 strip....BUT you can't guess you have to KNOW to get your labor / charge right.
Do your "Test Panel" BEFORE you quote!!
Prove to your customer why you have to charge what you charge based on the labor it will take to get the job done correctly or don't do it!
Stripping grout of floor finish is one of the hardest cleaning procedures you'll ever run into!
If they aren't willing to pay your price, after you prove what it will take to get it restored....then don't do it!!!

HydroDude

Name
JB
I don't think that it's wax, it an outside balcony , looks like some kind of sealer...I cleaned it with prochem tile and grout cleaner w turbo at 1200 psi...it clogged the mesh filter twice...
Going back tomorrow, to check it out.

Name
jack zerkie
I had one like that and found out they used river rock sealer to seal it . I walked away from the job . Had not been cleaned or sealed for many years, the sun dried it out and the rest looked good. Hard to get anyone to tell the truth as to when and what was done prior. God luck and let us know what happened . I'm in Cape Coral so the weather is the same for me with rain most days.

Reactions: Bob Pruitt

HydroDude

Name
JB
Yeah ,I can't walk away. ..this is a high end rental home we take care of...
I don't think it's water based, looks like Thomson water seal or equivalent. ..

Bee Busy

Name
Bee Busy
Just did one like this yesterday.....a general floor stripper, 175 floor machine with a 180 grit brush, scrub the groutlines good, turbo rinse, wipe down the puddles and grout with beach towels and dry buff any excess coating by hand on the edges

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom