What miraculous "Add-On" has proven to be worthless?

Mikey P

Administrator
Did you buy into the hype at a CAD day or constant chatter on a forum only to find your Cimex, Tile Spinner, Wood Floor system, HVAC gadget or some other "fad" just sitting in your barn gathering pixie dust?

For most of us good ol' residential wall to wall is our bread and butter and when things slow down seasonally we can fall for the hype of promised millions if we just diversified our offerings.. KMA!

Thankfully my barn is not too loaded down with baggage..

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
I have a tile spinner, a two headed rotovac, my old van and several bottles of laminate floor restoration chems collecting dust in the garage.

Like you said the bread and butter is carpet cleaning.

Ken Snow

RIP
Name
Ken Snow
Tile is on it's way to doubling again this year so the investment in equip and training is paying off. We are going to have 12 crews equipped for tile by the end of August (up form 3 now) and 20 by next spring. We're counting on each crew doing somewhere between 25-50k or more next year.

Mike, have you been successful selling wood cleaning?

Mikey P

Administrator
Not really.

I have been real successful at wasting time giving free estimate to dopes who think cleaning will fix Cupping, Crowning, water stains, peeling coatings and deep scratches though.

Ken Snow

RIP
Name
Ken Snow
LOL- exactly what we're a little concerned about. We have done a couple small jobs but not sure if we should take the plunge and invest in production equipment yet.

Mikey P

Administrator
You know how is Ken. ..

" can't you come and take a look, I think a good cleaning will fix this and I've heard such good things about your company... "

BLewis

Supportive Member
Name
Billy Lewis
So Ken, if you don't mind me asking, what do you get psf when you clean tile & grout? We were at .50 last year, went to .75 psf this year for anything under 200 sf in residential. We do front of house t&g all day long on commercial (restaurants)for .25-.35 psf. We get .50 sf to seal in residential.

mirf

Supportive Member
Name
David Mirfin
I do not see the wood working here either. There is always giong to be a "i expected more from the cleaning" problem.

Ken Snow

RIP
Name
Ken Snow
Re: What miraculous "Add-On" has proven to be worthless?

1$ a foot residentially but go down for larger ones. 25-50 cents commercially unless really small then it could be S much as 1$

Name
Lee Stockwell
Drapery cleaning 1981
Carpet Dyeing 1983
Ceiling cleaning 1984
MasterSeries program 1986
SteamGenie drag tool 1987 (with a bane haha)
Restaurant duct cleaning 1989 (profitable, but hated)
Carpet Sales 1991 (pita)
Protector "warranties" 1991 (lame)

many more.....

Jimbo

Drapery Cleaning...1984...the poor Grandmother lady had to stay at her son-in-laws house for a week...(solvent smell, you know)...and he was Pissed...sold the Kleenrite unit a couple of weeks later

Duct Cleaning...1992...with a Nice Pringle Power Vac Truck...I was going to make the large money with that one!..Too busy with cleaning and kids and stuff...No time for it...sold it about a year later...almost broke even except for transport costs from Toledo, Ohio.

Restaurant Vent Cleaning...1984...I made some serious money with this one...but I hated getting greasy to the skin...really hated it...plus getting Hotsy Degreaser in the eyes when cleaning stainless steel ceilings Sucked big time.

That Drag Wand is the Bees' Knees for Rug Cleaning, Lee...better keep it.

Water Damage Restoration was the Bomb...until the 'Mold Mongerers' (aka iicrc) got involved...and turned it into a toxic spill kind of business...now I just rent out the equipment to contractors...and sharecrop the rental fee.(I used to relish getting a WDR call in the middle of the night...now please don't bother me...I'm sleepy...and cuddled up with a Cutie!)

CTI 'Approved Cleaner' for 'Guaranteed Pet Odor Removal'...man I got a lot of calls on that...too bad most of the services were for free when the 'odor' reappeared...I actually gave a well known car dealer who had a Tahoe Cabin his money back after the 4th visit...I hope a cat pisses in your newest Cadillac car, Mr Doty!

IICUC...a really good idea for the cleaner to promise he could do the best job every time...I was # 322 to agree with that promise...too bad it was hijacked by the 'mold mongerers'...hmmm http://www.networksolutions.com/whois-search/iicuc.com

Woolsafe...to be certified by Wools of New Zealand? Hey that sounds like a great idea!...Trained by one of the finest minds in the Industry, Mr James B. Smith...now the organization has been co-opted by a member of the 'mold mongerer' group...hasta la vista.

iicrc...I'm sure Mr Ed York is spinning at high rpm about now...are they really trying to give 'honorary memberships' to folks in the carpet mill industry? Hopefully no one in cri will receive such an invitation...when their objective is Clearly Against the interests of the average cleaning company.

Oh yeah...I have to mention...the best cleaning tool I ever bought was......

a Vortex Truckmount...seriously...nothing else compares as far as cleaning power...now I need to find another one.

Vivers

Supportive Member
Name
Bill
I would have to say the rotovac powerwand. I was really excited and bought it on emotion, used it a few times and thought I was at geriatric speed and sold it a month or two later for what I paid to a private party thank God! Slowest POS ever!

ACE

Name
Mike Hughes
Every Porty I have ever owned.
Rotovac,
Air Duct Cleaning, WRD, Area rug cleaning, Hardwood, Marble and 10 Other Services that are easy get into and even easier to get in to more that you barged for.
500 different chemicals that didn’t work as advertised.

One of the harder lessons I have learned in the cleaning business is that there is no easy money or golden ticket. Success only comes through dedication and focusing on a few core services.

S

sam miller

Lee Stockwell said:
Drapery cleaning 1981
Carpet Dyeing 1983
Ceiling cleaning 1984
SteamGenie drag tool 1987 (with a bane haha)
Restaurant duct cleaning 1989 (profitable, but hated)
Carpet Sales 1991 (pita)
Protector "warranties" 1991 (lame)

many more.....

Dammit thats my list Doah!

except for the drag tool!

Oh ya a $900 airduct wates of time attachment I just dont want to do it.

We bought like 100 of those damn test kits, Stain master theres a total rip off.

I remember getting quarts of stain blocker from Prochem retailed for $10 covered a 1000 sq ft I think.
Was goona be so easy to make all carpets into stainmaster then Dupont had a fit and that when Master series was born more like $60.00 retail for 1200 sq ft.

To think adding a couple dollars worth of product to a carpet would give them an extra $10 per yard easy!

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
I forgot all the dustmite test kits I bought from Germany.

It was big in Europe.

I was one of the only cleaners in America to have this kind as far as I know.

Planning to make a mint. Didn't pan out.

Hoody

Supportive Member
Name
Steven Hoodlebrink
Jimbo said:
Duct Cleaning...1992...with a Nice Pringle Power Vac Truck...I was going to make the large money with that one!..Too busy with cleaning and kids and stuff...No time for it...sold it about a year later...almost broke even except for transport costs from Toledo, Ohio.

Remember who? Thats my hood!

Askal

RIP
Name
Al
What a funny/sad post.
Drapery cleaning 1989
Carpet Dyeing 1991 1999 2005 and 2009 ( I learn slow)
Carpet Sales 1991 (pita)
Protector "warranties" (more than once)
Oh! 3 K worth of window cleaning tools that were the "greatest thing" and 35 years later we are still using the same tools as when we started. I always try to give the latest stuff a few years now before I bite.
Al

Shorty

RIP
Name
Shorty Glanville
Many seminars at Connections & listening to the spin doctors, especially the bloke in the black commando outfit.

I was also bitten by the wood program.

Spot dye, (but now it all makes sense and things are turning around).

Tile & grout, the body was too old for this game.

Bigger carpet repairs, small ones are a nice $$$ spinner.

Guv-urn-mint legislation/interference has stuffed a lot of good prospects. LIKE!

Magic Al

You guys made my day! Here, I thought I was the only dope who bought what I call $1,000 paper weights! I'm on my second go-round with glass restoration. I got the right system, paid the right price, got the right training. Sounds terrific, no? No. Here in So. Cal.
1- most stores have a tint cover on their windows (it gets a little sunny down here), so if the jerks scratch it, they just replace it (eventually).
2- the potential client doesn't own the building, so they won't pay for it.
3- the landlord could care less what happens to the glass. AND, the most amazing (to me)
4- I live in a decent neighborhood and yet the local McDonald's, Burger King, Jack In The Box and Taco Bell (plus other fast food chains), ALL have scratched graffiti on their glass and yet even offering it for FREE (in the form of script as payment, so no cash outlay), they don't even have it done. It gets ignored and like all other graffiti, it grows to other places on the building when ignored.

Let's see what else besides what others have wasted, er, spent their hard earned money on, have I wasted.

Start with $10 K on two (really 3, but I spent $100,00 on R & D and lost it all) of those acid proof systems for marble and other calcium based stone (and please note I am in the stone restoration biz for 26 years now. You would think I would have learned).

$12 for a Jani-Jak (Cimex). It is broken and parts are no longer available! Sweet. I think I have another Cimex in the warehouse that is also broken and so old there are no repair parts for it.

$1,100 for an Oreck orbital which they promised would clean out the small holes in travertine (ha, ha - ooops, joke on me).

Another couple of grand for a machine I can't hardly describe. Essentially the motor sits on the floor and using hydraulics, the grinding head can be held against walls in showers and the like. Problem? It is still very heavy. And of course my guys refused to use it, giving excuses all day long. Another paper weight.

$??? (I can't remember) for another one of these machines that promised the same thing (am I stupid?) as the Oreck. It uses a rotating brush and vacs up the cleaning fluid. Great idea, doesn't work in my business. It is designed for VCT.

The list goes on and on. And even when they work out, like stainless steel restoration, there is so little work there that the income doesn't warrant the expenditure of time. It is strictly an add-on as long as we are there.

Same with shower glass. Yeah, we have figured it out, get stupendous results and even found a sealer that doesn't cost an arm and a leg (and works great), but again, except as an occasional add-on, it is more useful as something to put on a business card than to try to earn enough money to make it worthwhile.

Hey, I even bought a used Carpet Jenny (for those of you old enough to know what that was back in 1986) to extract slop from marble floors that we grind. Before I could use it on stone, I got a chance to do a commercial carpet job with it. Did a good enough job. BUT, it taught me that cleaning carpet is HARD, HARD WORK. That was my one and only carpet job in 26 years. Now Tom Meyer does my carpets and whatever it costs, it is cheaper than I could/would do it.

I have the highest respect for you guys who bust your butts doing what you do. Not me, brother.

But again, I don't feel as badly knowing that guys smarter than I am have tried and failed at lots of associated opportunities.

Shane Deubell

Supportive Member
Have to add slip-proofing of floors/bathtubs, legit service but ALL those hotel/nursing home contracts just never panned out.

tmdry

Name
Bill Martins
Mikey P said:
You know how is Ken. ..

" can't you come and take a look, I think a good cleaning will fix this and I've heard such good things about your company... "

Yup...had one just like that on Saturday. I get those ALL the time.

miksar

Supportive Member
Name
Mike Fent
I've only been doing this for five years, haven't wasted too much on extra equipment not being used. The only thing I can think of wasting money on is Bridgepoint Direct, lol.

Jim Williams

Name
Jim Williams
Tile cleaning for me. I just don't like it. I get great results on floors, but then there are the ones who want their filthy shower to come out brand new. So I don't mention it now and removed it from my website and do maybe one job a year.

I also sold my Rotovac. Too slow for me.

I think I'll keep my life simple. Sucking dirt out of nylon and selling a gallon or two of protector every now and then.

Mardie

Name
Mardie VanBree
Dry vapor steam cleaner for T/G. Sooo Slooow.Works great for small detail cleaning jobs (cracks and crevices).

Maid service. Poor mans game.I went back to only specialty filth cleaning for good money.

Wall/Ceiling cleaning. People would rather paint or replace. Equipment dose compliment my specialty filth cleaning.

Took a hard wood cleaning seminar and found the equipment and marketing concept to be not viable.I can do a better job with my wall cleaning system.

I have come to the conclusion that it is better to put my energy and concentrate on my carpet cleaning and if something will compliment that and dose not take away from the carpet cleaning it is ok to do. I let these other types of work fall into my lap without any effort on my part.

rwcarpet

Supportive Member
Name
Robert Hodge
Royal Man said:
I have a tile spinner, a two headed rotovac, my old van and several bottles of laminate floor restoration chems collecting dust in the garage.

Like you said the bread and butter is carpet cleaning.

Like Dave......the 2 headed ProChem rotovac-type power tool was just about useless. Glad I returned it to it's owner.

Although they are very helpful, the plastic orange "corner protectors" that don't stay put on all corners are a big PITA. They need some kind of "stickum" to keep them in place.

randy

Name
Randy
You know if 1/2 of the newbies out there read this thread CONNECTIONS would be about as well attended as that BANE Clene parade through Indianapolis back in the 80's.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom