What would YOU have said?

Old Coastie

Supportive Member
Name
Stephen
So here is how it went down. I doubt it is uncommon, but it made my BS detector ping:
—————
This is the beginning of your conversation
Saturday, May 5, 2018
Hi, you have great reveiws and I need my carpet cleaned. e have lived here for about 9 years, and it's time. i wouldestimate we have ~2500 sq ft of carpet amongst 4 bedrooms, the living room, Bonus room, and an office. Frieze (twist) style carpet. How much are we looking at for the job?

1:11 PM

Hi Roger, Stephen here. I would be glad to be of service. It is my habit to inspect and measure carpets, as it allows us to discuss the best way of cleaning and any options. I do not charge for the visit and the written quote is good for a full year.
The reason I don’t give blind quotes or “package” deals is that it would only be a guess; I would have to either overprice the work or try to upsell the job if I underbid it. Neither is ethical (although both are common practice).

I am properly licensed and well insured.

Would you like me to stop by one afternoon this week? If so, please send me your address, your contact information and a preferred day. I’ll text you to confirm, and get you a price for service.

5:28 PM
You can't give a price range?

6:18 PM

No. Carpet is expensive and there are far too many variables to guess like that. Roger, you would never trust a mechanic who gave you a price if you called asking “how much to fix a car?”

He’d want to know the make, model, symptoms and so forth, then he’d want to see the car.

I value and respect my customers, but I am a stubborn old sailor and won’t compromise my work. That is why I give on-site quotes instead of playing the upsell game and that is why my quotes are good for a year. There is no pressure or error in it because I actually measure instead of guess. It is premium service and I try to do it at a price well below what I have been told other cleaners charge.

If you have read my reviews, they should address any misgivings. If you are uncomfortable, I wish you well and sincerely hope you find a company that is a better fit for your needs.

6:59 PM
Will do

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
I think he was only looking to compare price. Had you given it, you'd have gotten the same result.

He wanted a solid number sight unseen. A competitive (low) one. You explained yourself well, not much more you could do unless you were willing to give one.

Reactions: Steve Lawrence

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
What would YOU have said?:

I'd of asked a few more questions ;
are we moving furniture in bed rooms or doing TL's?
any animal odor concerns to address?
Is carpet white?

if no urine to deal with, I'd of given him ballpark price on hi-side and tell him a firm quote would be given at time of job.
"can we get you scheduled ?"

but it made my BS detector ping:

not sure why .
He was looking for some kind of number to digest .

If I did onsite estimates only, like you do, I'd simply say it could be as low as $xx or possibly as high as $xx
"can I schedule you to give you a firm in home quote?"

I have to agree with Steveo too
You blathered on too much for something that's pretty easy and simple to handle

..L.T.A.

Old Coastie

Supportive Member
Name
Stephen
You rambled to much
I would've answered $350 would you like to schedule that?

If it really is 2500 feet and nine years, my price would be $950. But I’ve had people call and say 3500 feet and when measured, it was barely 1000. Then there are the small spots which look like trauma scenes, the additional rec room he forgot to mention and the need to start at ten and be done by 12:00 because he has a family reunion at 1:00. And so on.

Last edited:
Reactions: Paul B

sassyotto

Name
Paul
I agree, they just wanted to compare prices.

Thing is, people think that they will get the same result and only need to compare price. If you read this board, nothing is farther from the truth. call 50 companies and you will get 50 different prices and 50 different results. Prevac, pile lift, what ph, what pressure, rinse with water or emulsifier, tm or portable, training, experience, go on and on

They have no clue...

all said and done, you really didn't loose a sale

Reactions: Desk Jockey

SamIam

Name
sam miller
08F67EA8-9CE8-4972-8A01-B59DA2C9C839.png

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
I’ve had people call and say 3500 feet and when measured, it was barely 1000.

those are the kind of things you say to get the in-home quote scheduled , rather than car analogies and Ole Sailors stuck in their ways

waiting 9 years for cleaning though....you didn't lose a possible valued/repeat custy
you lost a "once a decade" job

.L.T.A.

Old Coastie

Supportive Member
Name
Stephen
those are the kind of things you say to get the in-home quote scheduled , rather than car analogies and Ole Sailors stuck in their ways

waiting 9 years for cleaning though....you didn't lose a possible valued/repeat custy
you lost a "once a decade" job

.L.T.A.

No, and here’s why: If I questioned his estimate of the carpet area, he’d just measure it and come back with a number that only included the traffic areas.

The long winded analogies are deliberate, because the question just reeked of competitor snooping. If his house is really that big and he really knows what sort of carpet and all, he is going to want that concierge service. When I talk to people, they rapidly see why prices vary. They also enthuse about options and time to shop the price/service and not have to hire someone who is on the doorstep ready to clean.

At the end of the day, I meant every word I wrote. That, my friend, ain’t always a good thing.

Name
Lee Stockwell
Nine year old Frieze is likely toast anyway.

I just don't get many "price only" calls.

My first question is "when would you like it done?" If they are baffled by that question it tells me they are fishing.

Second question is "have you had it cleaned before?" That is one way to find their concerns or previous disappointments.

Third question, after telling them MY name, is "may I get your name?" to file with this quote. I try to keep the conversation helpful to find out their MAIN concerns, which aren't usually price.

Finally, if they are still hung on price only, I would tell them we alway give a written satisfaction guarantee and are known for top quality. This will be under 390. (Leave out words "dollars" or "hundred")....just sounds softer.

Zee

Supportive Member
Name
Wow, I’m @ 800$ plus any stains...

This comes up every single time when prices are discussed. Who cares what some guy in *insert state-town* charges? Everyone has a unique situation that they need to work with.
Some of us have crazy high living expenses and a ton of business overhead... Some guy in Michigan or Iowa with a house paid off and practically no business overhead (as in: run out of the two car garage) will charge half as much for the same work.

Never worry about what others charge.

Last edited:

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
I usually just give them the sq/ft rate (.38) with the offer to setup a no cost estimate. Some shit when they calculate the rate. A few choke and ask if that is correct. Not our clients.

Others truly want someone to come out and take a look. We get the vast majority of those jobs. They want the estimate to know how much, they have already chosen us. They just want the total and you to look at what they have.

Name
Jeff T
This comes up every single time when prices are discussed. Who cares what some guy in *insert state-town* charges? Everyone has a unique situation that they need to work with.
Some of us have crazy high living expenses and a ton of business overhead... Some guy in Michigan or Iowa with a house paid off and practically no businesses overhead (as in: run out of the two car garage) will charge half as much for the same work.

Never worry about what others charge.
Good point Zee. But charging less than .15 cents a sqft in 2018 is WAY TO LOW for any city, in any state, in any country. My point is, Stephens work is worth more than that..... not to make him, or any one else feel bad, this is a profession, we need to charge WHAT WE ARE WORTH. All to often we ‘drop our pants’ just to get the job. It needs to stop... I had a plumber come out because I had a drain clogged from my washing machine. He had a basic call out fee, then a fee for using a ‘snake’, still didn’t fix it, then he broke out the camera. He was there for an hour and 15 min, and he charged me 550$.... did I question the bill, NO, cause he fixed the issue I had. Now the equipment he used was worth no more than 5-6000$, a far cry from the gear that we use that’s worth 80-100,000$.... and people question our prices? Something is very wrong in society.....

Reactions: Old Coastie

SamIam

Name
sam miller
Ok I ran into a competitor, he was pissed off! At $10 a room guy!

He said he got hurt and called my wife to give me work!

She said I charge more then him!

He’s said how much do you charge?

I said $39.95 per room, he said I charge $35 per room!

I said you have to have a sq ft limit!

He said ya mine is 500 sq ft!

He asked what mine was, I said 200 sq ft!

Still damn!

$35 for 499 sq ft is .07 cents a foot!

DAT

Name
Bill Cheryl
Got this good marketing book, more business if close deals over the phone. So I guess i wouldve said, .35 cent a square foot which will be $700, not including severe problems . I have openings on Tuesday, do you prefer morning or afternoon?

Take a deposit too...

Reactions: Old Coastie

DAT

Name
Bill Cheryl
If they want cheaper price schedule them in 3 months and take deposit too...

steve_64

I'm a room pricer and at $50 a room stairs are considered a room.

I've had enough calls about overall sq ft being wayyy off but when they start the conversation about price I add up the rooms and go from there. I can always direct the conversation and adjust prices as I get more info. I do often ask about condition and moving furniture too but this guy just wanted a number so I would've obliged and then moved on to other questions.
It often saves me time and trouble.

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
Interesting perspectives and food for thought.
Right after you heard him mention the specific type of carpet, you should've just kept asking more questions and put him in the spotlight.
Like Lee said:
-How soon are you looking to get this done?
-Is it 2500sq. ft of carpet, or is that the size of the floor/house it's on?
-Are there any pet areas that have been damaged?
-What about furniture...will there be any to move or will that be moved prior to my arrival?
blablabla

That would determine how honest they are in those answers.

Then I would've given them a price range over the phone from least to most if the square footage was accurate. If it's a competitor, they'll have your number, but they still won't know what you charge exactly. And if it's a real customer, it'll be easier to land that job

steve_64

Just give a price but don't tell them how you came to that. I can break it down if they get inquisitive but I try and get more info once I give the price if that's their main concern to start.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
But charging less than .15 cents a sqft in 2018 is WAY TO LOW for any city, in any state, in any country

true if doing all 2500sf
Highly unlikely in live in res though

I'll bet my last Little Debbie his sf estimate is based on total room sf, not actual carpet being cleaned
1200-1300 total sf of bedrooms might only be 700sf of cleanable carpet including the hall

"per room" pricing is how res prospects think.
(because it's all they ever see in ads)

throw out an $800 figure for 7 rooms and most res peeps will freak thinking you're at over $100 per room
That will seem way out of line to them (and it may not be in reality if moving/replacing most all furnishings large and small including bed rooms)

I don't know of many (any) first time callers that don't ask for a price .
Knowing the average homes in the area, and particularly knowing what questions to ask, it's doesn't take advanced calculous to give them a ballpark price range with a clear understanding firm quotes can only be given at time of job or pre-in home inspection

don't overthink it

.L.T.A.

PrimaDonna

Megatron
Name
MB
I would have said “based on the information YOU have provided me it will be.....”

Then outline all the other considerations (many have already listed them above so I won’t go it to them specifically) and tell the client once I see it, I’ll be able to give you an exact price. If it is different then what I gave you (more or less) I’ll review all of that with you at the time of the walk through to explain the differences.. If you need an exact price now, we will need to schedule an in person estimate.

If that doesn’t work for him or is unreasonable for him, I’m happy to let him find a provider that meets his needs. It’s just not our business format.

I would also create an estimate in SM based on the info he provided and outline in the notes that it was an estimated “based on the information provided by customer and could change”. That way they can’t say “you never told me that”. You simply ask if they received the email quote and when they say yes, politely point out those comments. Not your fault if they “missed” seeing that.

Based on what you’ve said, I would not be bending over backwards and putting a lot of time into landing this customer. You offered him options and explained your business model, your reviews speak for themselves. He either wants the value of your service in the model you use or he doesn’t.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
PEEE-ESSS

regarding pre "in home" inspections....

to a savvy consumer that's been around the block, I tell you what that suggests...

someone is coming into my home to try sell me the moon and stars package
I'll be forced to look at glossy fold-outs and glowing testimonials I don't care about .
and have $30K whoopty-doo windows and doors shoved at me when my needs and budget only allows $15K

and if you bring out an eye dropper and stupid saturated paper scotch guard sample demo, I might puke on your Florsheims ....

no clue whether or not Swabby's prospect was looking for "cheap" or just needed/wanted a ballpark to budget.
Could of been either .
My spidy senses didn't tingle over his resistance for an in-home pre inspection when no kind of price range would be given.
Matter of fact, my "consumer shoes " spidy senses would of tingled thinking "this guy's sky-hi" or he wouldn't be coming over here in the evening to give a "well formulated" JoePo sales pitch

I'm sure Swabby just wants to make sure all contingencies/needs/wants are clear and addressed
BUTT
.....the consumer doesn't know him from Adam, and saying "we're competitive" doesn't flip the $witch enough when 94.778% of other outfits will give me a ballpark

naw'mean??

..L.T.A.

Reactions: Jim Williams

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
I would have said “based on the information YOU have provided me it will be.....”

Then outline all the other considerations (many have already listed them above so I won’t go it to them specifically) and tell the client once I see it, I’ll be able to give you an exact price. If it is different then what I gave you (more or less) I’ll review all of that with you at the time of the walk through to explain the differences.. If you need an exact price now, we will need to schedule an in person estimate.

If that doesn’t work for him or is unreasonable for him, I’m happy to let him find a provider that meets his needs. It’s just not our business format.

I would also create an estimate in SM based on the info he provided and outline in the notes that it was an estimated “based on the information provided by customer and could change”. That way they can’t say “you never told me that”. You simply ask if they received the email quote and when they say yes, politely point out those comments. Not your fault if they “missed” seeing that.

Based on what you’ve said, I would not be bending over backwards and putting a lot of time into landing this customer. You offered him options and explained your business model, your reviews speak for themselves. He either wants the value of your service in the model you use or he doesn’t.

all solid, Meggy (as usual)
but allow me to split hairs on the last sentence .
If three or four outfits have rave reviews, and only one can't/won't give me even a ballpark, there's no way in hell one could determine if it's a "good value" or not ....unless/until I waste an hour of my evening cartoon watching time for someone to come over and sell me

..L.T.A.

Reactions: PrimaDonna

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom